PA wants U to move Corp. HQ to PA?.......

USAirBoyA330

Veteran
Aug 23, 2002
Pennsylvania may ask US Airways to move...

Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell could push US Airways Group Inc. to base its headquarters in his state in return for lease concessions and state money for its Pittsburgh and Philadelphia hubs.
The airline''s other major hub is at Charlotte/Douglas International Airport.
Published reports in Pennsylvania say Rendell has called on US Airways to move its corporate offices from Arlington, Va., if the state helps with $155 million in improvements at Pittsburgh International Airport and $235 million of improvements at Philadelphia International Airport.
Included in the requests apparently is $40 million for a maintenance and training facility for the airline''s new regional carrier, MidAtlantic Airways, which is expected to be based in Pittsburgh.
A spokesman for Rendell wasn''t immediately available for comment.
David Castelveter, a US Airways spokesman, declines to say whether the airline will consider such a move, in return for lease concessions and financial assistance. He also declines to disclose when airline officials will next meet with Pennsylvanian officials to discuss the lease and improvements.
All of these issues are issues that will be discussed in private ... with the county executive, as well as Gov. Rendell and his staff, Castelveter says. We''ll negotiate, and when there''s something to tell, we''ll tell you.

US Airways has rejected its current lease at the Pittsburgh airport as part of its Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring. The company is seeking to negotiate a new deal that would reduce its operating costs.
The airline has set a Jan. 4 deadline for reaching an agreement on a new lease. The airline says it will continue to pay its current rates until that date but will reject the lease on Jan. 5 if a new agreement is not in place.

US Airways was based in Wilmington, Del., from 1939 until 1949, Castelveter says.

In 1949, it moved into space inside an airplane hangar at then-Washington National Airport, now called Ronald Reagan Washington National. Forty years later, US Airways moved to its current location in Arlington.

Castelveter says the airline leases its current headquarters, but he declines to disclose the terms or length of the existing lease.

© 2003 American City Business Journals Inc.

I love PA....great spin to act as if this is a give and take situation! I guess the gov just does not understand. Dave and Dave are not offering anything to PA, other than (maybe) not pulling out of PIT. You would think after watching what happened to the creditors and the empoyees that it would be clear to PA what will transpire. What will be really funny is when CMD comes back to PA for even futher cuts because of poor market conditions. This is a hoot!
2.gif

----------------
On 4/11/2003 5:43:14 PM Walmartgreeter wrote:

This is a hoot!

----------------​

Uh, sure. If it weren''t for the loss of jobs, killing the housing market, etc. I''d enjoy seeing PIT tell U to pound sand.

I do understand the gravity of the situation. I have lost almost everything as an employee, and now could face a devaluation of my house if U moves. But who cares, might as well laugh. Dave and Dave will do what they want, and probably already know how it will turn out. This IS all a hoot, because nothing the state or county does will affect the final outcome. PA is a loser state, and I could never see HQ moving here. Best to you.

Once again the entitlement mentality prevails in the great state of PA. I will get heat for that and I could care less, but enough is enough. PIT, bring down the cost, period. If not, adios. Get it? US Airways doesn''t owe anything to Pittsburgh. For years your city blasted the hometown airline. Now that they may leave you''re running scared? Good. You deserve what you get. The employees in Pit can tranfer or find another job like the many thousands of others before them. That''s life. Please don''t give me the support of U bs that PIT has given. Maybe the 3000-4000''burgher employees see it but the rest of the 30,000 are fed up with the "Save Pittsburgh" campaign. That city is no better than the others that have had their hubs pulled or service yanked. The nerve.

The Charlotte press may be rough on US Airways, but the city govt is aggressive in it''s attempts to keep a hub in CLT. If anyone should be rewarded the home office, it''s CLT. At least their mayor actually FLIES US Airways.

And how about the cost? Will PA PAY for this move? My God, we don''t even have the money for a work tie that reflects we are in a new millinium. What makes anyone think we have the money to move the entire CCY headquarters?

Furthermore, if, and I state IF the headquarters were to move anywhere, Bonner would place it in his mostly empty office building in lower Manhattan. Talk about a deal. He could charge a minimal fee and U could save a hell of alot of money, though not anymore practical than CCY, but then again does that matter?

I have always believed that actions speak louder than words. The actions of Pittsburgh are few. Other than the terminal, the rest of the U facilities suck. On the otherhand, when I go to CLT for recurrent training, there stands beautiful hangers..modern hangers and a training facility that makes me feel like the 40 y.o. that I am and not a third grader that PIT facities offer...AND all on airport property. Imagine that.

Sorry, you aren''t going to find ANY sympathy here, so go ahead guys, blast away!!

I say move hq to Alabama.Alabama Dave could threaten all the management if they don''t perform."I''LL PULL MY MONEY"

Does anybody know about revenue that ACAA receives from the leasing of NON aeronautical facilities? Most airports have land or facilities that aren''t immediately needed by an aeronautical or aeronautically related use that they can rent out to generate revenue to keep aeronautical fees and leases down. What''s the deal with ACAA''s land?

Also, do other airlines at ACAA pay less in rent than does U?

Anybody know?

----------------
On 4/12/2003 11:11:47 AM firstamendment wrote:

I have always believed that actions speak louder than words. The actions of Pittsburgh are few. Other than the terminal, the rest of the U facilities suck.
----------------​

I''m curious. "Other than" a billion dollar terminal that''s been voted in the top 3 in the world a few times?

Tell me, how many parallel Cat III approaches can CLT take at once, again?

----------------
On 4/12/2003 11:11:47 AM firstamendment wrote:

Sorry, you aren''t going to find ANY sympathy here, so go ahead guys, blast away!!

----------------​

Oh why bother?! My crystal ball says U is going to fail anyway. It will disappear totally by 2005. And that came from my source at the Psychic Network too!!

For the record, I don''t live in PA, I don''t work for U. I still wish that PIT would tell U to pound sand.

This CLT/PIT, Piedmont/Allegheny/PSA/Empire/Mohawk/etc., stuff goes so far back. I''m actually of the opinion that Pittsburgh would do fine without U. It recovered from the loss of steel. It always bounces back, somehow. But I digress, without PIT to kick about as the ''favored child'' what will you blame then?

You''re right. Pittsburgh, as a city and metropolitan area, will do just fine without the USAirways hub, or any other hub, for that matter. It has enough size and diversity to weather this easily. Many will be hurt on an individual basis, just as happened when the steel industry tanked. The bottom line is: How much does Pittsburgh want, or need, to enjoy the premier air service that they have? Or will they make do connecting through other hubs as most folks from cities their size do everyday?

----------------
On 4/12/2003 5:54:38 PM PineyBob wrote:

Do not underestimate Ed Rendell! he didn''t get the nickname "fast Eddie" for his church activities. He he well schooled in back room hard ball politics PHL style. He is a formidable competitor.

Same goes for Arlen Spector!

The $155 Million or we''ll leave vs You want the money move your HQ here are opening punches in what appears to be a first class heavyweight brawl

----------------​

Oh my, this is going to be a mess.

Pineybob,

I always thought the huge office park beside the new A Terminal West terminal in PHL would have been a wonderful place for the home office. There''s lots of room, on I-95, accessible by the local subway, and of course right at the airport. I don''t know if it''s vacant but at one time I believe it was.

BTW, In regards to an earlier posting from someone else, I don''t think anyone is picking on PIT, but the company shouldn''t accept unacceptable leases if they can''t afford them just to support that 1 billion dollar terminal constantly in the top ten or whatever the hell it was. That''s like continuing to make payment on a car that you can''t afford just because it''s pretty, is reliable, but coast 60,000 dollars. Give me a break. Believe me, the rest of the country doesn''t give a hoot about your runways and nice terminal. They want the cheapest flight and aren''t going to be thinking "Oh my, we must fly US Airways so we can fly through that 1 billion dollar airport with those wonderful take off and landing runways". Keep believing that and I will sell you a piece of land in the everglades that will perk.

----------------
On 4/12/2003 10:59:06 PM firstamendment wrote:

Pineybob,

I always thought the huge office park beside the new A Terminal West terminal in PHL would have been a wonderful place for the home office. There''s lots of room, on I-95, accessible by the local subway, and of course right at the airport. I don''t know if it''s vacant but at one time I believe it was.

BTW, In regards to an earlier posting from someone else, I don''t think anyone is picking on PIT, but the company shouldn''t accept unacceptable leases if they can''t afford them just to support that 1 billion dollar terminal constantly in the top ten or whatever the hell it was. That''s like continuing to make payment on a car that you can''t afford just because it''s pretty, is reliable, but coast 60,000 dollars. Give me a break. Believe me, the rest of the country doesn''t give a hoot about your runways and nice terminal. They want the cheapest flight and aren''t going to be thinking "Oh my, we must fly US Airways so we can fly through that 1 billion dollar airport with those wonderful take off and landing runways". Keep believing that and I will sell you a piece of land in the everglades that will perk.

----------------​
I don''t believe the rest of the Country gives a "hoot" about any airport except the one in their own home towns..get real.

You folks on this board ought to know by now what this management is up to...they will get what they want. And PIT in the end will cave in. It''s part of the "plan".