Passengers of Size Upgraded before US2's

SS255

Veteran
Aug 10, 2004
LAX via AVP
www.amandafoundation.com
My parents (both US2) flew from PHX-PIT this afternoon. They checked a few times at the Club (and at the gate), and were repetitively told they were #1 & #2 on the upgrade list. I also did a dummy booking on-line, and saw that seats 1C, 1D & 1F were still open. (I know that's not necessarily an accurate indication of availability.) They and one other person were told by the gate agent to wait while they boarded the plane. After the entire plane was boarded, they gave the other guy a new boarding pass, and my parents were told to take their original seats in Y. As they did the perp walk, they saw that the other guy was seated in 1C, and an "extremely large" (those were my mother's words) woman who pre-boarded in a wheelchair and her companion were in 1D & 1F. Also in my mother's words "They did not look like Preferred's." Our guess is that she didn't properly fit into her Y seat, so the FA moved her and her companion into F. I am also speculating that the elite who was upgraded after boarding may have been lower down on the waiting list than my parents, but was upgraded first because there was one seat left and he was a "single" (even though my father told the GA to upgade my mother if she could only clear one of them).

This isn't meant to be a "whiny elite rant." (I haven't had enough posts on this board to earn that privilege.) I am just curious to hear from the GA's and FA's on this board as to what the proper protocol is for upgrading POS's (and their companions) before elites in situations like this.

"They did not look like Preferred's."

What exactly does a "preferred" look like??

That was the most self centered comment I have seen on here in a long time.

So, if you are not below a size 34(men) and an 8(women)...If you aren't wearing an Armani suit or Dolci & Gabana shoes......you aren't worthy of "preferred" status????

Talk about holier than thou attitude.

Furthermore............neither do half of you people that sit up there and you ARE preffered.

This isn't meant to be a "whiny elite rant." (I haven't had enough posts on this board to earn that privilege.) I am just curious to hear from the GA's and FA's on this board as to what the proper protocol is for upgrading POS's (and their companions) before elites in situations like this.

SKY HIGH states: It wasnt until I got on the internet, and conversed with several frequent flyers that my attitude is now: Flight attendants should NEVER upgrade passengers. Or use the first class cabhin to appease a passenger in coach. Those currently sitting there PAID FOR IT OR USED UPGRADES OR MILES TO GET THERE.

Generally, large people infringe on their seat neighbors by lifting up the armrest in COACH.

I think it's a little jumping to conclusions - unless they saw the BP with no status printed on it.

I daresay I'd be nobody's idea of a stereotypical Preferred but I'm a Platinum (US1.5? :lol: ) with 78,393 YTD miles flown. Appearances can be deceiving. Would they have said the same thing if they saw an early-20s guy in a ballcap, polo and shorts standing at the gate with one of their F-cabin BPs?

I don't see how the f/a's upgraded the horizontally challenged person. The agent can tell us that all pax are on, then 10 seconds later four more people step on the airplane. I couldn't imagine moving someone(like this situation) then to my horror, the person who is "supposed" to sit there shows up. If I move someone, it's a non rev and only after the door is shut. Once the door is closed, it's our airplane.

My parents (both US2) flew from PHX-PIT this afternoon. They checked a few times at the Club (and at the gate), and were repetitively told they were #1 & #2 on the upgrade list. I also did a dummy booking on-line, and saw that seats 1C, 1D & 1F were still open. (I know that's not necessarily an accurate indication of availability.) They and one other person were told by the gate agent to wait while they boarded the plane. After the entire plane was boarded, they gave the other guy a new boarding pass, and my parents were told to take their original seats in Y. As they did the perp walk, they saw that the other guy was seated in 1C, and an "extremely large" (those were my mother's words) woman who pre-boarded in a wheelchair and her companion were in 1D & 1F. Also in my mother's words "They did not look like Preferred's." Our guess is that she didn't properly fit into her Y seat, so the FA moved her and her companion into F. I am also speculating that the elite who was upgraded after boarding may have been lower down on the waiting list than my parents, but was upgraded first because there was one seat left and he was a "single" (even though my father told the GA to upgade my mother if she could only clear one of them).

Over the last few months I hae noticed a lot of Pre-Boards sitting in F/C. Most of them with their companions. Most FA's will not move people up until they are SURE all PAX are on the plane.

My parents (both US2) flew from PHX-PIT this afternoon. They checked a few times at the Club (and at the gate), and were repetitively told they were #1 & #2 on the upgrade list.
An agent should never tell a passenger where they are on the standby list. The standby list can change in seconds. The federal government governs the airlines when it comes to disabilities. We have to accommodate them. Standby is this just that. Standby. Priorities with unique situations have to be accommodate the agents makes the call………

An agent should never tell a passenger where they are on the standby list. The standby list can change in seconds. The federal government governs the airlines when it comes to disabilities. We have to accommodate them. Standby is this just that. Standby. Priorities with unique situations have to be accommodate the agents makes the call………

ADA does not provide that a person be given a first class seat.

Last I knew, people who needed a second seat and fell within the provisions of ADA were allowed to buy a second seat for 1/2 price. Nothing about free FC.

ADA does not provide that a person be given a first class seat.

Last I knew, people who needed a second seat and fell within the provisions of ADA were allowed to buy a second seat for 1/2 price. Nothing about free FC.
I guess you could tell that to the judge or management or the media but it is justified

Latest posts