Pay Cuts To 9.00 Or 10.00 An Hr?

jimntx said:
If you pay much below the prevailing wage in a given industry, you will attract only that part of the population who have not had the advantage of being taught that there is such a thing as integrity and honesty, OR you will attract the people who have been fired by the companies who do pay the prevailing wage or better and can afford to be picky about who they hire and who they keep.
The problem is that in the Bush economy, the prevailing wage is a quickly moving target...... downward. Wages and jobs are less important than growing wealth, apparently.

Much as I'd like to blame Bush for this, the downward pressures have existed for some time.

Jim's right that when you pay significantly less than the prevailing wage, you get a poorer quality employee. Compare the quality of employee at In-N-Out (a fast food chain in California) with Burger King. In-N-Out pays over $9/hr plus benefits, and their customer service reflects it. Interestingly, every one of them that I have been to has long lines and no seating available during mealtimes...they make money hand over fist, despite having an extremely limited menu and paying their employees more.

The lesson? Paying less for labor might appear to be the smart choice, but it doesn't work in a vacuum. There is a point of diminishing return for wage reductions.

mweiss said:
Much as I'd like to blame Bush for this, the downward pressures have existed for some time.
Downward pressures have existed for some time.

For good reason:

Since 1873, the Global Elite Has Held Secret Meetings in the Ancient Redwood Forest of Northern California. Members of the so-called "Bohemian Club" Include Former Presidents Eisenhower, Nixon and Reagan. The Bush Family Maintains a Strong Involvement. Each Year at Bohemian Grove, Members of This All-Male "Club" Don Red, Black and Silver Robes and Conduct an Occult Ritual Wherein They Worship a Giant Stone Owl, Sacrificing a Human Being in Effigy to What They Call the "Great Owl of Bohemia."

I understand Siegel is invited this year. :p

:up: In-n-Out Burger, YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention that they make the most fantastic hamburgers you've ever had.

They opened an In-n-Out and a Krispy Kreme next to each other and opened them on the same day in the San Francisco area... there was actually a traffic jam stretching from the building to the exit ramp to the highway.

I must say I'm a huge fan of Jack In The Box too. I could eat there every day.

Light Years said:
They opened an In-n-Out and a Krispy Kreme next to each other and opened them on the same day in the San Francisco area... there was actually a traffic jam stretching from the building to the exit ramp to the highway.
Ahh, yes. The one in Daly City. I've had the In-N-Out followed by Krispy Kreme "Hot Doughnuts Now" for dessert. Followed by a few miles on the treadmill. ;)

The one in Fisherman's Wharf is doing great business as well.

I remember in college frequenting the one near ONT at the Vineyard exit off the San Bernardino Freeway...one of the original double-drive-thrus without any indoor seating. That was the first one I ever ate at, back in 1979.

MarkMyWords said:
First off, Robbed, stop spreading unsubstantiated rumors. You seem to have this huge chip on your shoulder about the choices that YOU made. You had the opportunity to remain a ML employee and you CHOSE to work for mainline/express. Coming on here and spreading FUD does no one any good.

Second. When I hear people talk about "you get what you pay for" and the wages paid to entry level employees, I take offense. Each and every one of us started with this airline making peanuts. Are you saying that you cared less about the comany when you were making 6.00 an hour versus when you go to the top of the scale? With each pay raise did you start caring more? Work experience levels are one thing, but care and compassion are something else. When I was making 6.50 to start I was just as proud (if not more) then I am now.
mark: first of all you dont know me and second of all you dont know my situation, all of the cities they gave us for a transfer have now gone mainline express, second of all i have a 20 month ol special needs baby boy and raising him on my own with help from my mother and sister so stop your whining. then aparently one of our cwa memebers went to a metting the other day and this is where it came from so stop you whining insults or i will report you

Colby said:
Can Someone put this in English....

Are you saying that Agents are going to be put to 9.00-10.00 per hour on the job.... See... U employees really need to Specify what is going ON!!!
yes and this came from a cwa member that i know and she had went to that meeting they had the other day

4merresrat,

When it comes to the Res/Reissue dept., you are wrong. A good part of our job is picking up the slack from new hires and transfers. Some of it it not their fault because of what little training they were given but some of it is also because they have no respect or loyalty to this company or our passengers. They just don't care. They were not hired the way a lot of the old timers were. It was if you want the job it's yours. They didn't have to fight for it or prove themselves for it. The company was desperate for bodies. 24 hrs a day we take their transferred calls to do things they should know how to do, we fix their mistakes, we take those calls from irate passengers who were given the wrong information. We don't have a choice, we know our job inside and out and we have to pick up the slack. We have to fix the mistakes. The running joke in Res. is that if you don't want to deal with it or don't know how to deal with it...transfer to Reissue. We'll fix anything and we handle it all.

We also fix travel agency mistakes and take care of the messes they get themselves into, we fix ticket counter problems and even help with baggage problems. One of biggest complaints is that we even have to deal with the people "trying" to book on the internet. One of the reasons our jobs are in jeopardy is because of the internet and we are supposed to help those people and in turn help to take our jobs away?! I can't tell you how many internet "bookers" call us daily crying because they booked the wrong date, day or city, can't figure out how to book more than one person, booked the same person twice, can't figure out how to book a DM ticket, can't change their ticket on line, can't get an available fare. It just goes on and on. Then when they make the mistakes, all on their very own, we're still the bad guy and they "will never fly us again!". We can't win. God forbid they ever read the rules on the fare for the ticket they just bought. Then again, when they call for a refund or to change their ticket and they find out it's non refundable and there are fees for changes, we hear it again...we're again at fault, we suck, and they "will never fly us again!". The internet is just a big headache. If they want the public to buy tickets on-line then we shouldn't have to deal with them after the fact or help them to do it. We're being asked to dig our own grave.

Believe me, in this dept., we pick up a lot of slack every hour of the day. Why? Because we've been here longer, we know all the rules and restrictions, we've been highly trained (in the past) in multiple functions, we're experienced, we know our SH--! In this dept. I can't think of any old timer that slacks. We weren't trained that way and we have "numbers" to meet every week and I think much stronger ethics because we've been here longer.

So maybe where you work the senior employees are slackers, but not here!

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but as an fyi....A few years ago I worked for CHQ as a csa and started out at 7.10/hr. After a year, I was awarded a raise to 7.94/hr. Wow, was I bringing in the dough!! lol Anyone ever try to pay rent, car payment, insurance, electrtic, water/sewer, phone and gas on that kind of money? I commend all csa's. They put up with more crap than you could ever imagine. I have never been so verbally abused in all me life. No matter what happens to a pax's flight, the csa gets the brunt of the blame, when in fact they have the least control. Why did I work there for so little? I enjoyed the challenge and unpredictability of it. And I needed the money. I made under 10K that year, and somehow managed to always keep a smile on my face. If you were nice enough to keep a smile on yours, you were rewarded. If your flight was delayed or canx, I would book you on another airline, or whoever was faster getting you to your destination. And for that smile, I bumped you up to first class and added a meal voucher. I don't want to cause a ruckus over this thread. I just wanted to say that all csa's are grossly under paid for the abuse they take. And to remind people that when your flight is delayed, don't blame the csa. If you're nice to them, they will probably return the favor. Oh, and back then I would have loved to be making 9-10/hr. lol :)

now that the company wants to steal more money from the employees and try to have the inside agents work almost as slaves is bull as saying that i work for dave seigiel and group! working for 9 or 10 bucks an hr for those agents who had been with this outfit for 15 to 30 or more yrs is a slap in the face! but we have a group running this airline that have been there maybe 3 or a little more yrs and are doing a darn good job of running it into a cemetery. how come we cant force them to stop or at least have an investigation into their wrongful practices of running the airline?

Latest posts