For Those Wondering

Colby

Senior
Sep 30, 2003
I will start off with the fact that I am extremely TIRED !!! Started my day out Early for this OTHER interview......

ANYWAY... Southwest had invited me to interview with them SO , I did... Today in BWI!!!

Here's their Pay scale....

Flight Attendants
41/2 Weeks Unpaid Training in Dallas
1st 6MO 2nd 6 MO 2nd Year
$ 14.67/Trip $14.90/Trip $17.34/Trip
One Trip = 243 Miles

Per Diem Is 2.00 Per Hour !!!

Customer Service Agents
2 Weeks Paid Training in Dallas
All Locations 1st Year 2nd Year
$ 8.84/Hour $9.66/Hour

Provisioning Agents
$8.75/Hour $10.18/Hour

Ramp Agents
$8.75/Hour $10.18/Hour

Reservation Sales Agents
$8.58/Hour $9.00/Hour

Operations Agents
$9.10/Hour $10.53/Hour

Im going to Bed now..Will check tomorrow and try to answer any Questions you may have... Oh and By the way..No, I DID NOT get the Job!!!

Oh Well... Really wasn't looking fwd to Peanut Races !! :lol:

Colby--

Thanks for the info. Now before everyone starts in with the "See, that's why WN is so profitable" talk, remember, those are the STARTING wages. Here's what the current TOS wages are:

Ramp/Provisioning agent:

$22.28/hr.

$22.95/hr. (7/1/04)

$24.00/hr. (7/1/05)

Operations agent:

$22.63/hr.

$23.30/hr. (7/1/04)

$24.35/hr. (7/1/05)

There is/are also cost of living differences for those working in California and BWI.

A friend of mine on Mainline JUST got hired by SW, I posted this previously, but I will give you the info again as I remember. SW also offers matching 401K for F/A's, We do not. Also they offer stock options and Profit Sharing. Even though she will be intitially taking a pay cut, she feel she will make it up soon, in light of the cuts we have taken. Also, she was delighted to think she would be based in MCO.
She also said that medical benifits were better.

Do I have facts???NO, just what she told me, for all of those out there who need something written in ink. ;)

Colby, I wish you all the best. I just know you are great and have such a good heart. Keep the faith. :)

Kev3188 said:
Colby--

Thanks for the info. Now before everyone starts in with the "See, that's why WN is so profitable" talk, remember, those are the STARTING wages. Here's what the current TOS wages are:

Ramp/Provisioning agent:

$22.28/hr.

$22.95/hr. (7/1/04)

$24.00/hr. (7/1/05)

Operations agent:

$22.63/hr.

$23.30/hr. (7/1/04)

$24.35/hr. (7/1/05)

There is/are also cost of living differences for those working in California and BWI.
Kev,

Thanks for posting that.

The AFA PIT Local will stuff mailboxes this coming week with "compensation rankings of 43 airlines. Flight attendants need to know where they rank in wage.

Once it is posted on the PIT webpage, I will post on these boards. :)

Kt,

We have a "Defined Pension Benefit", SW does not.

Kev3188 said:
Colby--

That is why I started off with the Fact that I was Tired... I was simply trying to inform those that had NO CLUE... As I had NO CLUE....

KT, You are Correct...They will match 401k $ for $ and they have a Great Guarantee !!!....

I really could care less about working for them still !!! On my flight to BWI I sat next to one of US Business travelers ...Told him where I was going... He told me he flew them Once and Will NEVER DO IT AGAIN.... This is what I've heard Too much of...

When I applied to them was a few months ago and I wasn't with too many Options... Now I have 2 !!!!!

Yep, I love it when management uses WN as an example of our high costs (us!) and those at the discount carriers such as Southwest. They point to WN, but very selectively. Their costs overall may be lower but it's not really due to the pay scale, just that their expansion in recent years has resulted in a lot of hiring, thus a larger percentage are at the low end of the pay scale. And management conveniently ignores costs such things as WN's regional cost-of-living allowance.

Hi!

The thing that most employees (and not just at airlines) fail to think about in their pay comparisions is that the amount of money that you make doesn't matter at all to the bottom line of the company.

What matters, is the ratio of compensation that you receive relative to the amount of revenue that you generate.

If a AirlineRed gate agent makes $15/hr., and an AirlineBlue gate agent makes $20/hr., which airline is better off financially?

It depends on the revenue generated.

If the AirlineRed gate agent's airline flies typical trip segments of 350 miles, with an average airplane size of 150 seats, at a rate of aircraft utilization of 8 flights/day, the average daily seat-mile will be 420,000.

If the AirlineBlue gate agent's airline flies typical trip segments of 700 miles, with an average airplane size of 180 seats, at a rate of aircraft utilization of 10 flights/day, the average daily seat-mile will be 12,600,000.

As you can see, even though the $20/hr. gate agent is paid more, their airline is flying many more seat-miles, so their seat-mile cost per employee is much less.

If you assume both airlines have the same load factor, and charge the same for tickets, AirlineBlue will be much more profitable.

Labor seat-mile costs and the revenue generation per employee are what's important to the bottom line, not the salary of the employee.

If the U is to survive, I believe that the U's labor seat-mile cost must be brought down to at the least the average cost in the airline industry.

I wish the U and all of it's employees the best-I hope your airline makes it!

Cliff
DTW

Cliff,

You make a very, VERY, valid point - labor cost per seat mile has two components, labor cost (wages, benes, etc) and seat miles. The only component that labor has any say in (at least if unionized) is the former - wages, benes, etc. Labor has absolutely no say in the latter area - seat miles produced.

Siegel chose to focus on the labor cost side, using any and every statistic to "prove" that labor cost was too high. Meanwhile he ignored the seat mile side, failing to use the tools at his disposal to increase the production of those ASM's with the same amount of labor cost.

Jim