Phl To Return To A Banking Hub In Nov

The decision to roll PHL, open the FLL mini-hub and reduce PIT all took place at the same time. The only decision that stuck was the reduction of PIT. FLL started reducing flights within 60 days and continues to do so. GUA and SJO will be pulled from FLL this fall. GUA and SJO service will be moved to CLT.

So who is undoing what BBB did before he left? NK has announced a lot of Caribbean expansion out of FLL. If it was a flawed business plan, that why would BBB make the same mistake twice?

The list of cluster F@#$ are huge. BA Code share, Metrojet, High Ground, Business select, FLL mini hub......Doug please save us from our own executives already!

During negotiations BBB and the German VP of Finance presented a powerpoint slideshow that showed PHL was the #1 money maker.

That same "fact" has also been stated several times by Doug
Parker.....for what it is worth.

It may be the case now but something tells me that the profits will follow international--if the overseas trips are moved the profits will follow.

Rolling hubs have proven to work...I really want to know WHY they are regressing...it appears that the performance in PHL which is bad now will get even worse.

I have to believe something else is up.

What a bad decision from my POV.

Have reduced flights from PHL made rolling unneeded?

bofie said:
What a bad decision from my POV.

Have reduced flights from PHL made rolling unneeded?
[post="296530"][/post]​

I was thinking that, too. Maybe they are going to be cutting back in and out of PHL enough to go back. Isn't the plan to get rid of some transcon service? If so, that is going to stink because it is already difficult enough when you have to change your flt plans and you are going to PHL from LAS, SFO, LAX, or SAN.

My sources tell me this is due to the reduction in flying expected this fall and winter. Rolling hubs only work if you have enough flights spread throughout the day so passengers can still make connections. HP has said they intend to reduce transcons significantly, making the rolling hub concept very difficult to continue.

there is probably around 12 west coast flight, not enough to make an impact on a reduction.

Hmm. Hubs on opposite coasts. Reduce transcons.

Brilliant!

Take it to the bank (and not the hub) that you will see PHL-OAK and PHL-LAX increases on LUV if US cuts back. If the transcon service in PIT gets cut any further, you will see either UA or LUV get into the game.

Well, it was just a matter of time before the "old" USAir mentality got hold of a brillant "new" plan only to set out to destroy again! Bad move US, PHL is pathetic enough! :down:

One entity who will applaud this decision is Southwest. By operating PHL as a banked hub, this means that Southwest can schedule their flights to come in and zip out 25 minutes later shortly before a US bank ==> minimal delays for Southwest.

As for the Mesa/TSA flying, it's indeed leaving, whether US has announced it or not. All of the Mesa CRJ-200 flying is gone by the November schedule, and so it most of the Mesa ERJ-145 flying and the Trans States flying. So Air Wisconsin really is just replacing them.

What does appear in the November schedule are Mesa CRJ-900s. Now *those* are replacing the 737s. The CR9s show up in November on CLT-ATL/BHM/DFW/GSO/IAD/IAH/ILM/IND/JAX/MCI/MEM/MSP. CLT loses 20 mainline departures between now and November, and PHL loses 33. Stations losing *all* mainline flying include such small cities as ATL, MEM, BHM, MSP, STL...

USFlyer said:
My sources tell me this is due to the reduction in flying expected this fall and winter. Rolling hubs only work if you have enough flights spread throughout the day so passengers can still make connections. HP has said they intend to reduce transcons significantly, making the rolling hub concept very difficult to continue.
[post="296537"][/post]​

That's what I was thinking as well--until I took a good look at the schedule. I counted 473 departures at PHL in November. Today, there are also 473 departures at PHL. The big difference is of course that mainline departures decreases from 190 to 157. But if the total number stays the same, it shouldn't decrease connectivity by that much--and lord knows it keeps the congestion issues the same.

700UW said:
During negotiations BBB and the German VP of Finance presented a powerpoint slideshow that showed PHL was the #1 money maker.
[post="296523"][/post]​

The key word in your post is "was" the
#1 money maker. Doubt that is the case
now with WN depressing fares and yields,
the cost of PAWOBs and delivery,
continued operational problems with ATC
that burn millions of gallons of fuel, and
the cost of rerouting and overnight
accommodations due to operational
problems.

Of course, Uncle Al will never comission
a serious study on the cost of doing