Pit Trashes Us Airways

I think the various politicians are finally beginning to realize what the employee's of the new Usairways have dealing with over the past year. There is no such thing as good faith bargaining with "Dave & Co". :ph34r:

I love how they put the PITTSBURGH in text so that maybe DAVE will learn to spell it

Quite frankly I think US should tell PIT to go take a hike. I find it hard to believe ANY airline would open a hub at PIT. Point to point, yes, but no hub. US will be merged with another carrier at some point, and eliminating PIT only serves to make US an even more attractive merger partner. We're all deluding ourselves if we think US isn't for sale, to be brutally honest.

Have fun running a couple hundred more RJs thru PHL.

"US 3312, you are #49 for departure....."

fast, Pittsburgh is bold because that was my search term - the Post-Gazette really isn't trying to give spelling lessons.

Have fun replacing those jobs Roddey. I am sure it will be helpful come election time.

Rob said:
http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId...itle=pittsburgh

Amazing that Roddey would say this. He MUST figure the hub is a goner.
Roddey is the same slime ball politician who stated that the Usairways employees have no choice to take additional wage cuts. [3rd vote] Without more cuts he stated these people won't have a job to get a pension. Its seems that even with all the cuts alot more fine employees in the maintenance dept. will soon be out the door for good. No pension and no job. Roddey gets what he deserves and the people of Pennsylvania will soon be voting him out of his position. :D

Roddey has shown his frustration with the company's negotiating position and I believe his comments could have been motivated by one or all of the points listed below:

1. Roddey is posturing Siegel in hopes on getting the company to the table.

2. Roddey is concerned that the closer we get to January 5 (with the election in November and his opponent criticizng local government leaders) that AGAA will have less leverage and he will need to cut a deal that could be political suicide.

3. Roddey knows US Airways has other options (westward) and the Pittsburgh hub negotiations are being held hostage to other hub opportunities that may present themself in the fourth quarter.

4. The company has told govenment officials they should file for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection to reduce its debt, but this obviously has huge implications for Allegheny County and its credit rating. Roddey may think this is the only way to reach an accord with US Airways, which is distasteful.

In my opinion, there will be a deal with greater passenger facility fee reductions, councourse a RJ jetways, an addition built on to the pilot simulator building (For MAA & PSA), a new reservations building, and rejection of some hangars, RIDC offices, the Carnot & Beaver Grade Road Training facilites, airporat facilities (councouse E for example), and the Greentree reservation office. Furthermore, the mainline will operate about 130 flights per day after January 5.

Best rgards,

Chip

PIT has a lot of interest in this matter and they are talking about lots of jobs for the community as well. If I haven't heard from my biggest tenant in over 60 days, I would be getting extremely nervous. It could be like the World Series of Poker, in that maybe Roddey is trying to bluff with a low pair when he knows that U is probably sitting on a 3-of-a-kind. I would want to see them come back to the table, even if it was only to say hello and see where they stand. Just my 2 cents.... :rolleyes:

Chip Munn said:
3. Roddey knows US Airways has other options (westward) and the Pittsburgh hub negotiations are being held hostage to other hub opportunities that may present themself in the fourth quarter.
Right.

IND? I think not. ORD? Dreaming.

What munciplality do you see giving US a sweetheart deal after watching what PIT has been thru?

Roddey's best move would be to cut the costs right _after_ US moves out, attract more point to point and hub service from everybody else, and then try to land a focus city from somebody like JetBlue.

There is absolutely no upside to keeping US in town. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Eventually all the good paying jobs (save pilots and FAs, who can commute, anyway) will be gone, most of the mainline service is going, and the fares remain high. It's a zero sum game.

BTW, to the poster who said "good luck at election time"--Roddey will either have been re-elected or tossed before Jan 5.

It's about time OUR representatives start on "plan B".

Clue,

I agree with you.

Chip,

You say U will operate 130 mainline flights out of PIT. Where in heavens do you get that info? You need to really get a new "source". We are down to 104 in PIT. We had an erosion of flights from May to present, where have you been?

If there are no written guarantees for "main line flights" in PIT then they can take their RJs and fly away. When a corporation has their hand out for any kind of relief from the tax payers than it has to be for fair exchange and EQUAL risk. Management has stated repeatly they will not put guarantees of flights in PIT in writing. Just for the state to basically take their word for it.....LOL

Also, for those of you who think that U doesn't need Pittsburgh because they are so vauluable without it, Philadelphia goes with the package as far as our state representatives are concerned.

Last time I checked the "MECA" is PHL, which IS U's franchise, NOT CLT. Happy selling to get a return on YOUR stock.

PS: I find it laughable that USAirways had even suggested that Pittsburgh file Chapter 9. You see, this type of scheming to "screw" everyone is only thought of by U management. This is how THEY do business. Most other organizations will endeavor to honor their agreements and not RUN into BK to free themselves. and what? So, Pittsburgh could then turn around and give those savings to U, negotiate with USAirways to give them everything they damn well dreamed of? Yea, in your dreams....

I applaud Pittsburgh. There is still honor in business outside of USAirways.

PITbull said:
Also, for those of you who think that U doesn't need Pittsburgh because they are so vauluable without it, Philadelphia goes with the package as far as our state representatives are concerned.
How do you think that an airport, PHL, can punish an airline for not doing what the governor wants at another airport, PIT?

Dallas, Ft. Worth and DFW tried it. I strongly beleive it is illegal. And Seigel knows it. He was a party to that issue.

"Last time I checked the "MECA" is PHL, which IS U's franchise, NOT CLT. Happy selling to get a return on YOUR stock. "

The U franchise is hardly PHL alone. I'm not sure how CLT got pulled in here, but that airport has little to worry about. U won't play to PIT when it doesn't make sense just because there's some sort of 'package.' PHL will probably end up supplying much of what U wants (disguised as upgrades that ANY airline could use) sooner or later.

Call me silly, but I see a new hub (RJ's) opening next year in the geographic center of the US. I also see PIT and PA and US making a deal that turns PIT into a CVG style RJ hub similar to DL. Hardball negotiations seem to be on the way with PA.

Just my humble opinion.

Latest posts

Back