Pittsburgh Crew Base Closure

westcoastflyer

Advanced
Aug 12, 2004
Rumor has it that the PIT crew base will be downsized significantly in January, and then closed in March. Anyone else have any verification of this?

I can't confirm it with fact, but I've been hearing this rumor more and more often. The PIT people, I think, are going to be making some though decisions very soon. Good luck to all of you and where ever you decide to transfer to.....WELCOME!!!!! :up:

I say get it over with. If they are seriously going to close the base just do it and quit F'ing with people. When I was based in PIT before I got displaced in June '03 I knew it was coming. We all did but we weren't sure as to when. I don't want to see ANYONE have it happen but IF IT IS then get it over with so folks can move on and make decisions and necessary changes.

\TP72,

Is that a photo of LCC#1 in your avtar???

Oh, AWA320, I knew you still liked me and missed me. I'm flattered..no..touched. (a tear)

No, but I've got a gun like that and I'm not afraid to use it. ;)

I do have some fake man boobs that are looking to make an exclusive appearance for travelpro once we go into the new uniform mock sweater. :lol:

Oh, AWA320, I knew you still liked me and missed me. I'm flattered..no..touched. (a tear)

No, but I've got a gun like that and I'm not afraid to use it. ;)

I do have some fake man boobs that are looking to make an exclusive appearance for travelpro once we go into the new uniform mock sweater. :lol:

Hahahaha :lol: :up: I knew I could get you to respond sooner or later. You made coming to the board worth while today...

IF there is any truth to this rumour, it is very unfortunate. There are many dedicated employees that went Above and Beyond over the years. Closing other bases in high cost cities (and we all know where they are) would make more sense and certainly help in employee morale. :down:

Rumor has it that the PIT crew base will be downsized significantly in January, and then closed in March. Anyone else have any verification of this?
If you watch the 8/22 webcast on the HUB w/ Parker in CLT at the training center, it looks like he let the cat out of the bag a little too early. Mark Gentile sent PIT people an e-line saying that Parker said they are going to try to make PIT work but only if it stays profitable...then he went to PIT for the Steelers plane dedication and said it wasn't profitable so once again Dougie is talking out of both sides of his mouth.....my friends in PIT think it's inevitable and are just waiting.

The best thing for them is the most senior RSV has 20 years and will get a block in any base they transfer to....as far as base seniority goes, that's bad for those of us JR to them...especially in PHL where all that 757 time is leaving for CLT and people are going back on RSV. This will knock them down even more as I think most of the PIT people will head to PHL.

I hope it's not true for 2 reasons...it's sad for those still based there and it's going to put my seniority in PHL farther down the tubes.....

If this timeline is true, then the company should be more upfront about it. Playing these games is going to have a greater impact on employees then just the closing of a base. Give the employees the information they need to make choices and plans.

Not to be rude or hurt anyone's feelings....but the fact of the matter is crew bases open and crew bases close...

Here are some examples,

LAX
SFO
SAN
SYR
GSO
ATL
ROA
MIA

Please feel free to add any that I have missed.

Closing other bases in high cost cities
Are you being serious? What about the people who live in these cities ? Close their base so people can still have their $400 mortgage. Tell me you're not serious. Who's morale would that help- the people in those cities other than PIT to be closed or the remnants of PIT which could be closed?
Congratulations to all the PIT people who will score what ever they want in any base they choose(because you will be able to bump into where ever you want)but be ready to commute. I like the Daze Inn but some like the Lagoon. Reserve for the month because it fills up fast.
The more I come back to edit this post the madder I get. Lets throw everybody else under the bus except us. Project High Ground may have finally come home to roost. Be careful what you wish for...

Oh please... do not make it into a craybaby thing of PIT vs DCA BOS and LGA. Those three stations have more flights than PIT does. The Shuttle alone justifies those three bases, almost any future merger will have established bases in at least one or two of those cities.

PIT has 39 mainline flights a day. THIRTY NINE. LAS has over 130 and isn't even a proper base.

Hey Guess what? Express still has a hundred something flights at PIT, particularly Republic, who flies OUR FORMER planes. I remember the attitude of the PIT F/As when they killed MidAtlantic- they acted as of we were not the same as them and one said, hey, at least you had a job for a couple years and a recall sometime. Betcha wish we still had those 'RJs' as yins derisively called them, now! Whole lotta PIT flying there, enough to justify a base! And when Doug talks about 'making PIT work' he means, hmm, should I still pay for gates for Trans States at-risk flying etc, not how many mainline flights there are.

I have nothing against PIT F/As. I was based there, who the hell wasn't at one point. I just don't see why we are supposed to be crying out in anguish for the what, hundred something F/As still there? What about the two thousand that already got booted out? What about the numerous other bases that have come and gone? You can go to any base you want, all of which are an hour or under flight away. The biggest and best base is on the other side of the state and has tons of flights a day between the two on two airlines you fly free on, and is driveable in a pinch. Come on over, get a block again, join your former co-workers... we won't even notice there's so few left to be displaced. Just for god sakes don't think your situation hasn't been experienced by almost everyone, several times by my generation.

Just close it and get it over with. And Tempe, sort out your damm flight attendant staffing. Figure out which bases will do what flying, how much staffing you need at each base year round, and OFFER DECENT BUYOUTS. Let the tired and weary go and bring back your furloughees and new hires who are three times cheaper and twice as productive (hello, lcc?). Breathe some life into this tired ass airline and lower your labor costs at the same time.

Back