Pittsburgh Crew Base Closure

PIT will probably close as a base and it's pure economics of it. PIT FA's must understand that these decisions are not personal and the company can only sugarcoat it to a point. If I was a PIT based FA, I'd hold on to the hope, but come to terms with the reality of what may come.

PIT will probably close as a base and it's pure economics of it. PIT FA's must understand that these decisions are not personal and the company can only sugarcoat it to a point. If I was a PIT based FA, I'd hold on to the hope, but come to terms with the reality of what may come.
I think alot of it is because PIT was the "original home" to this airline (Allegheny). It is so amazing to look at PIT now and not be sad and miss what "was". Unfortunately ALL of US have had to come to terms (most kicking and screaming, including me at times) with reality and yes it does SUCK. This airline will never be what it once was and that is truly heartbreaking. For the life of me I cannot understand why PIT remains with only 39 daily mainine and here LAS pushes how many per day and barely has 20 RSV's? It's horrible to think about all of the people whose lives are going to be disrupted and I hope to hell they offer some BIG buyouts as it would help EVERYONE around here, including the AWA folks in the long run. If they offered a buyout and then substantially increased the LAS base I think that it could help balance some things and keep the remaining West Coast commuters out of PHX.

And when it comes to MDA don't even get me started, there was so much ignorance among this flight attendant group that somebody needs to be smacked right in the face for letting that go on. EMBFA is exactly right and we should've fought like holy hell to keep those EMB's (170 and 175) mainline at all cost. If people wouldn't have had their head so far up their @$$ they could've been mainline and those PIT fa's would be flying them just like they were the DC-9's, F-100's, and BAC-111's. Funny how Karma works!!!!!!!!!!1 :unsure:

Oh please... do not make it into a craybaby thing of PIT vs DCA BOS and LGA.
What exactly is it that you have against the people in PIT---

Is it because you were once based there and were displaced and are now just getting a thrill that other people will have to be uprooted too, or what?

I mean what is your problem--anytime you can do a PIT bash comment---you do...

Maybe you need to think about some of your comments and realize that there are real people who do not deserve the rude and uncalled for remarks you continually make...

What you do need to realize here is that people in PIT are very passionate about their jobs and are just sick of the lies continually put out by management about PIT as everyone watches as the airline implodes on itself with this management at the helm....

So while I do realize that you are entitled to your own thoughts and opinions----I do not feel you should constantly be making rude and uncalled for comments....

Is it because you were once based there and were displaced and are now just getting a thrill that other people will have to be uprooted too, or what?

I mean what is your problem--anytime you can do a PIT bash comment---you do...

Maybe you need to think about some of your comments and realize that there are real people who do not deserve the rude and uncalled for remarks you continually make...

What you do need to realize here is that people in PIT are very passionate about their jobs and are just sick of the lies continually put out by management about PIT as everyone watches as the airline implodes on itself with this management at the helm....

So while I do realize that you are entitled to your own thoughts and opinions----I do not feel you should constantly be making rude and uncalled for comments....
What did he/she say that was so rude? They even said they've got nothing against PIT F/As. None of us do. The whole point was this is something that goes with this job. No one in this business is garuanteed or entitled to one base for their entire career. What the real problem is is how this company handles the base closing. Unfortunately for PIT it probably will be a 2 week notice something like this: OK folks PIT is closing in 2 weeks.....MOVE!

Are you kidding me? After all the "you should move to PIT" stuff look where we would be!

Sorry but there was less than compassionate responses to others misfortune- why would you be suprised by the reaction?

PIT will join the ranks of the commuting nation-welcome.

Many have had the pleasure of years of commuting and it's not so bad. You'll adjust with no problem.

See you in PHL otherwise known as hell.

Oh my god, are you serious? NO desire to be based in Pittsburgh, trust me! Typical Burger attitude... because a crappy airline had a hub there for years they think it's the center of the universe. It's great that you love your hometown, but no one else is lining up to go there. The Pittsburgh region had the steepest population decline among cities outside areas hit by Hurricane Katrina from 2000 to 2006.

Repeating myself here, I have nothing against PIT F/As, just the shock and horror that seems to be expected from the rest of us for the remaining hundred people. I'd wager that more than two thirds of the active F/A group has base closures and displacements, and for many even furloughs in thier past, most within the last five years. This is an airline that at one point had more furloughed flight attendants than active ones. I mean come on, it's nothing new, it sucks, but quit or commute like everyone else.

It's also kind of annoying that people who have been in the industry for decades don't seem to know the difference between a 'hub' and a 'crew base', not comprehending that they are not neccesarily the same thing. Some F/As really seem to think that where employees live and how pretty a building is have, or should have, an impact on the route network. Sorry, but people who don't have even a passing interest or understanding of the industry they work in, then act shocked at something everyone else knew was coming- that's frustrating to have to listen to. Seriously.

Sorry if you think I'm rude.

I have nothing against PIT F/As. I was based there, who the hell wasn't at one point. I just don't see why we are supposed to be crying out in anguish for the what, hundred something F/As still there?
Actually there are about 350 active F/As still in PIT which would mean that if they all come to PHL, there will probably be the domino effect knocking JR people to who knows where....(LGA,BOS,DCA) ....perhaps even back to being furloughed ?
If I were you, I wouldn't be crying for the PIT people either. I'd be crying because of the way it will affect your seniority. Every one JR to us should be hoping that the PIT base stays open....this will now add 350 F/As to the commuting pool who will be bumping those JR and taking their trips they have enjoyed flying. Unless they offer a buyout, the SR PIT people are here to stay....coming to work w/ canes and walkers :shock:

BTW....Friday, October 5th from 11:00-2:00pm is the PIT Coucil 40 union meeting and they will be discussing the future of the base. I believe Mike Flores will be there also

There is no doubt that when a base closes, any base closure, there will be ripples throughout the airline. This is just a rumor and assumptions being made. I do not believe anything being said is meant to be rude to any one group. Just statements, ideas, and beliefs about what is going to happen, what should happen, what is best for the company as each person sees it. Some people sugar coat it and some people are blunt. I do not believe that anything anybody says should be taken as a personal attack against any one person or group.

Before I was furloughed in 2000 I can tell you it was the most stressful time in my life. Not that I was going to lose my job, but when exactly was I going to lose my job. I did not want to quit because I had hopes of being recalled. So, every month I waited for the ax to fall. By the time I was finally furloughed it was a relief. I could now move on. Those based in PIT must be going through something very similar but far more stressful by just hanging in the balance of uncertainty.

If the company has a timeline, a list of what needs to happen, or any type of criteria that must be met or the base will close they need to be let the employees know. This will give employees the opportunity to make informed decisions about their future. The company should not be making contradicting statements and playing games. If they in fact do plan to close PIT they should understand that not only will PIT be impacted by the decision, but the entire airline. The way the company handles the situation will go a long way to either building trust with the employees or widening the gap between management and employees with the spewing of lies.

In some ways I can see how it's difficult to wrap your head around closing a base that once had 3000-4000 f/a's, but I'm sure there are alot of (real) PanAm, TWA, and Eastern employees would never though their airlines would go away. There has been a shock and awe that all of us have had to endure that has gotten very irritating. I think most PIT crews so this coming. Perhaps like many others, they were hoping the company would have a change of heart and open PIT back as a hub..right.

PIT f/a's, I would move to Charlotte. We have a HUGE population of 'burghers that live here and the sun actually shines 80% of the year. Come on down and we'll get yens use to some sweet tea. :up:

Not to be rude or hurt anyone's feelings....but the fact of the matter is crew bases open and crew bases close...
Here are some examples,

LAX
SFO
SAN
SYR
GSO
ATL
ROA
MIA
Please feel free to add any that I have missed.

Those all closed. Name one that has opened in oh say the last twenty years.

Not to be rude or hurt anyone's feelings....but the fact of the matter is crew bases open and crew bases close...
Here are some examples,

LAX
SFO
SAN
SYR
GSO
ATL
ROA
MIA
Please feel free to add any that I have missed.

ORF
BWI
INT
ILM

CLT opened as a satellite of GSO
and BWI opened as a satellite of ORF

ORF was the mega-base of its era

Back