Pittsburgh Crew Base Closure

Actually there are about 350 active F/As still in PIT which would mean that if they all come to PHL, there will probably be the domino effect knocking JR people to who knows where....(LGA,BOS,DCA) ....perhaps even back to being furloughed ?

Fear mongering.

Unless there is a systemwide pull down of flying time, no one is going to get furloughed no matter which base closes. Displaced? Yes, likely. Furloughed...get real!

Not to be rude or hurt anyone's feelings....but the fact of the matter is crew bases open and crew bases close...
Here are some examples,

LAX
SFO
SAN
SYR
GSO
ATL
ROA
MIA
Please feel free to add any that I have missed.
Let's not forget BWI-that was also something to cry about!

Actually there are about 350 active F/As still in PIT which would mean that if they all come to PHL, there will probably be the domino effect knocking JR people to who knows where....(LGA,BOS,DCA) ....perhaps even back to being furloughed ?
Threatening something that is out of your hands( as well as the hands of anyone else on this board) is an empty threat.

EMBFA,
You're a real neat person. Keep up that great attitude; I am sure you're a real BIG asset to whatever commuter airline you work for. I know you'll have a long and un-prosperous career there. :rolleyes:

Later,
Eye

EMBFA,
You're a real neat person. Keep up that great attitude; I am sure you're a real BIG asset to whatever commuter airline you work for. I know you'll have a long and un-prosperous career there. :rolleyes:

Later,
Eye
What's the hostile sarcasm about? EMBFA only speaks the truth. It's not ABOUT attitude. It's REALITY!!

In some ways I can see how it's difficult to wrap your head around closing a base that once had 3000-4000 f/a's, but I'm sure there are alot of (real) PanAm, TWA, and Eastern employees would never though their airlines would go away. There has been a shock and awe that all of us have had to endure that has gotten very irritating. I think most PIT crews so this coming. Perhaps like many others, they were hoping the company would have a change of heart and open PIT back as a hub..right.

PIT f/a's, I would move to Charlotte. We have a HUGE population of 'burghers that live here and the sun actually shines 80% of the year. Come on down and we'll get yens use to some sweet tea. :up:

Don't forget BBQ and NASCAR. :up: Get a house near one of our lakes, buy a used pontoon boat, enjoy some D and D(drift and drink) with Jimmy Buffett. We enjoy helping y'all adjust. We did it for the Shuttle people in DCA and we'll do it for you. We can even find you some IC light, and you don't have to buy the whole case, we sell it 6 packs.

Oh wow, THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY! That's like, a whole charter 747! Ring the alarm! YOU'RE going to FURLOUGH us? If you had that much control you'd be flying space shuttles to Mars from the pretty terminal in Moon Township. Guess they don't take much of your feedback! There are more than 350 people below me even pre-merger, but get over yourself for thinking you are that important. There's that entitlement and inflated idea of self-worth again.

Eye in the sky- yes, I believe I do bring something to this regional airline (it's called US Airways by the way). :)

PIT will probably close as a base and it's pure economics of it. PIT FA's must understand that these decisions are not personal and the company can only sugarcoat it to a point. If I was a PIT based FA, I'd hold on to the hope, but come to terms with the reality of what may come.

I'm sure you said the same thing to everyone in PHX ops, right?

Oh wow, THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY! That's like, a whole charter 747! ...
Eye in the sky- yes, I believe I do bring something to this regional airline (it's called US Airways by the way).

In any case the reality is that should PIT close, the flying time will not disappear. When the flight crews transfer to another base, the addtional time from PIT will be allocated to the different remaining bases.
BUT, let's not put the cart before the horse. Do you remember when the company came out and said "PHL will never be a base?"

Oh wow, THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY! That's like, a whole charter 747! Ring the alarm! Eye in the sky- yes, I believe I do bring something to this regional airline (it's called US Airways by the way). :)

EMBFA:

I'm in the computer lab at school (trying not to think about my stats homework). You've caused me to have an outburst :lol: (everyone's looking at me...)

Oh my god, are you serious? NO desire to be based in Pittsburgh, trust me! Typical Burger attitude... because a crappy airline had a hub there for years they think it's the center of the universe. It's great that you love your hometown, but no one else is lining up to go there. The Pittsburgh region had the steepest population decline among cities outside areas hit by Hurricane Katrina from 2000 to 2006.

This is typical of what he's talking about. The population decline in PIT is red herring on your part--it does not begin to address the ignorant nature of almost every comment you make regarding any thread involving Pittsburgh in one form or another.

As an aside, there is a perfectly good reason for the population decline--in case you missed it, the steel industry collapsed in the 1970s and 1980s. This resulted in the loss of several hundred thousand jobs in western PA. That in turn resulted in a "hole" in the population demographics--because those people all left the area to find jobs. That caused the average age of the population to shoot northward quickly. PIT loses population because people are dying and they had a period from the 70s to the 90s where there was a significant dearth of people of child-bearing age to reproduce. And, it's taken the region about 30 years to start to produce a net-positive job count. That is beginning to happen--demographers who are smarter than the 'cosmopolitan PHL FA population' predict that the bleeding will stop between 2010 and 2015, and the population of the MSA will begin to grow modestly (%5 or so by 2030 according to most estimates). No other city of it's size has ever had a singular event to impact population decline like the steel industry collapse. None.

I make far more money than any LCC FA and most (if not all) LCC pilots. I'm one of the people who had to leave PIT because of my job. I would go back in a heartbeat. I guess that makes me an ignorant yinzer, huh? Or (and I know that this may cause your cosmopolitan PHL brain to explode) that it's a nice area with a reasonable cost of living, lots of culture, great sports teams, and (now) a decent job market.

I don't have any more or less sympathy for people living in PIT who have to commute than I do for anyone living anywhere else. I don't get the impression that they (the remaining people there) expect special treatment. That impression is manufactured by people like you who seem to have an illogical and uniformed view of western PA.

As an aside, your company is lining up to move it's operations center to PIT. Care to guess why?

Drop the hatred. It's really not called for.

Snore.... the base is closing, the hub is not coming back. Apparently now people are dieing as well. :rolleyes: Sorry.

Let's all have a moment of silence.

Back