Please confirm....

La Treal

Sep 18, 2002
Wife told me that she heard that the employees without a union that took voluntary leave at delta to minimize layoffs are not being allowed to return to work (effectively terminated) is that true?

Sort of. All of the flight attendants who elected not to return to work during the call back periods during the one year leave were placed on furlough status in November.

During the course of the year, there were at least two times that Delta needed flight attendants and contacted everyone on the VLT-1 (one year leave) list. Every flight attendant on the VLT-1 list was offered the opportunity to return to work.

During the call back process, Delta went through the list in seniority order at least twice, and some very junior flight attendants elected to cut short their leave and return to work.

In November, we were in an overage situation and there were no F/A positions available. Therefore, all of the flight attendants who elected not to return to work were placed on furlough status at the end of the VLT-1 period.

I believe that those on the furlough list have a 5 - year recall period.

We are being told that if enough active Delta flight attendants do not want to work for the LCC, then Delta will go to the furlough list.

The short answer to your question is flight attendants were furloughed, but none have yet been terminated.

Please limit my answer to in - flight, I am not sure how the process worked for the other non contract employees.

Sort of. All of the flight attendants who elected not to return to work during the call back periods during the one year leave were placed on furlough status in November.

During the course of the year, there were at least two times that Delta needed flight attendants and contacted everyone on the VLT-1 (one year leave) list. Every flight attendant on the VLT-1 list was offered the opportunity to return to work.

During the call back process, Delta went through the list in seniority order at least twice, and some very junior flight attendants elected to cut short their leave and return to work.

In November, we were in an overage situation and there were no F/A positions available. Therefore, all of the flight attendants who elected not to return to work were placed on furlough status at the end of the VLT-1 period.

I believe that those on the furlough list have a 5 - year recall period.

We are being told that if enough active Delta flight attendants do not want to work for the LCC, then Delta will go to the furlough list.

The short answer to your question is flight attendants were furloughed, but none have yet been terminated.

Please limit my answer to in - flight, I am not sure how the process worked for the other non contract employees.

Thanks....
I think, ?.?.?.
So now if they offer leaves again, if im a senior FA and wish to take leave at the end of my leave i could be furloughed out of seniority order if they have overages?(run-on I know.)

Thanks....
I think, ?.?.?.
So now if they offer leaves again, if im a senior FA and wish to take leave at the end of my leave i could be furloughed out of seniority order if they have overages?(run-on I know.)

The problem with Delta Overage Leaves is that you are not guaranteed the base you had when you took your leave. If your West Coast is still so senior, why would someone from LAX or SLC take a leave if they know when they come back they will have to commute to ATL or JFK? Another reason some good contractual language would have been nice.

The problem with Delta Overage Leaves is that you are not guaranteed the base you had when you took your leave. If your West Coast is still so senior, why would someone from LAX or SLC take a leave if they know when they come back they will have to commute to ATL or JFK? Another reason some good contractual language would have been nice.