Pre Departure Alcohol Service in FLORIDA

The fact that this is even an issue shows who is running the place. Unprofessional and out of their league. WHY is this even an issue? I am aware of this law and follow it and explain to our passengers that America West was not able to serve it and they now run the show. I can no longer offer you a cocktail as they were not approved with the FAA. We are as I have stated many times the laughing stock of the airline industry. WORLDWIDE! ! ! ! :lol:

Let me sum it up this way:

" We got glassware yes we do! We got glassware how 'bout you?!" :jerry:

I knew. Because so many out there DON'T know, or know and DON'T follow procedure (it is a violation of state law for us to serve liquor on the ground in Florida), I am usually perceived by First Class pax as someone who is making their own rules, lazy, or don't know what I am talking about because "they got it the last time they flew out of Ft. Lauderdale on US Airways."

From what I have been told by mis-management, we do not have a Florida state liquor license to serve liquor while on the ground in Florida.

So for everyone out there who doesn't abide by the rules set by the state, get on the same page already and stop making those of us that do look bad. :rolleyes:
This issue has come up several times over the last couple of months.....amongst employees and pax. Many F/A's have told me "I didn't know that" or "I never read the mail". Regardless, until the Company clearly learns to communicate to the masses people will do as they feel and when fines are levied against the airline, maybe Management will wake up. A simple solution to the Pre-departure procedures and various State Regulations is simply offer Bottled Water and OJ like it is done on many carriers. And there is no need to address regulatory issues with pax on the issue, IT'S Procedure. Heck, there are MANY F/A's that don't even offer a service on the ground as it is and it's funny because the usual excuse is "They can Wait" or "I don't want to hold up boarding "<lol>........yea, like OT performance is their Goal. (I was born at night....not last night). Getting the license would make the most sense, but we're talking circUS.

(3)(a) Operators of steamships and steamship lines, buses and bus lines, or airplanes and airlines engaged in interstate or foreign commerce or plying between fixed terminals and upon fixed schedules in this state may obtain licenses to sell the beverages mentioned in the Beverage Law:

1. On steamships, buses, and airplanes operated by such operators, upon the payment of an annual license tax of $1,100; and

2. (Deleted for clarity) The division shall issue a license to sell alcoholic beverages on steamships, buses, and airplanes to an operator of a steamship line, bus line, or airline, at a central location designated on the sworn application for license. The application for initial issuance of such a license must specify the number of steamships, buses, or airplanes in the fleet scheduled by the operator of the line for operation in this state. An application for renewal of such a license must specify the total number of steamships, buses, or airplanes in the fleet that operated in this state during the preceding license year. In addition to the annual license tax imposed under this subsection, a tax of $25 is imposed for each steamship, bus, or airplane which is disclosed on the application for license or renewal of license. Upon the payment of all applicable license taxes, each such steamship, bus, or airplane is considered a licensed premises under the Beverage Law.

So $1100 plus 25x340? (leaving out the 767 and 330 since they rarely make a Florida appearance) means $8500 = total cost for a license for the year less than $10000? Is that really what we're talking about here? I think a couple of Tempe corporate meetings skip the catering would more than cover this, whatcha think?

The reason the company gives for this is "Florida, where state law could be interpreted to prohibit liquor service to passengers while on the ground in that state."

I did not see anything in what Tadjr posted that could be interepeted that way, unless it was in sections not posted.

Such sales are permitted while such steamships, buses, and airplanes are in transit; but such sales are not permitted on airplanes while such airplanes are in airports.

US doesnt SELL liquor in FC do they? Then US isnt selling it on any plane while at an airport. Seems like someone is using semantics to save a couple of bucks, especially if other carriers do serve pre departure on the ground in Florida.

Florida Alcoholic Beverage and Tobacco Code 565.02 has the section I copied from. I've also sent a note to corporate to get the "official" reason why we no longer serve in Florida when we have in the past.

Typically, alcohol laws don't distinguish between sales for $5 (as in coach) and providing F passengers drinks at no extra charge - state laws typically treat them the same. So US may be technically correct - FLA state law probably prohibits serving any alcohol on the ground if it doesn't procure the proper license. And perhaps US has chosen to save the few grand that license would cost.

Here is the "Official" response from Corporate regarding this.

Our legal department tells me: Florida law prohibits service of alcoholic beverages to passengers while a plane is on the ground within the state. While we think this law is probably not enforceable, we observe it voluntarily just to avoid any difficulties with state liquor enforcement officials.

So, that begs a question. Did the old US PAY the state of Florida to serve liquor (and AA/DL/CO/NW/EA/NA/PA and anyone else) and if so, why would they BUY a liquor license knowing that the only place they serve liquor "in the state" is AT the airport while the plane is on the ground? I know someone in the state government has had to have had a cold one while sitting on the ground somewhere in Florida... yet no problems from anyone for how many years? I call mambypamby BS on this one. Were they afraid someone was gonna get all writey uppy on US? :down: :blink:
Wonder if AA (one of, if not the biggest airline in Florida) has ever had any "difficulties" with state liquor enforcement officials? :lol: :lol: