Procedures for incapacitated pilots?

TWAnr, you're correct... all the 1970's widebodies were certified as three man cockpits.

Restated, no other narrowbody commercial airframe over 80,000lbs was required to have the third man cockpit after the DC9 and 737 were launched.

What happens when both pilots are incapacitated?

You'd better hope the agent didn't ignore the OAL jumpseater standing patiently near the podium... :rolleyes: TC

[/quote]... After all they dont even call it piloting anymore, they call it Flight deck management....Its getting to the point where the second pilot is there to keep the other one company.
[/quote]

It's still piloting where I work, and don't start me on the AutoLand bs. (It is OK, and just OK, for when it is required...most of the time it's not really appropriate, and some times you really, really don't want anything to do with it...sorry...)

If you really believe the second bit copied above....you simply haven't got a clue. Any one of us could fly the airplane ourselves...but two heads are still better than one, as long as they are both thinking, and that is the most important reason for having two pilots.

As for both pilots being incapacitated, the best bet (besides another pilot familiar with large turbine a/c of some sort) would be a pilot with good basic instrument flying skills,(there's that "piloting" thing again...) and the ability to listen and follow instructions; paired with a really good instructor on the radio, lots of gas, (time...), and a good clear long dry runway

cheers

I Thought AA pilots where better than everyone else. Kind of god like there is no way they could become incapacitated. What happens if a pilot becomes incapcitated while using the High Speed internet at the layover hotel. or sitting in the First Class Mandated seat . oooo noo i pray that would never happen. I remember Rank Has its Privlidges

Yes, we should make sure that all those first class seats are made available for positive space non-rev seats for our highly qualified board members like Rojer Stauback and their families. Throwing a football around for twenty years makes him qualified to run an airline. Jam the pilots into a middle seat in coach so when its his/her time to fly they will be well rested right?

Rank has its priviledges right?

... After all they dont even call it piloting anymore, they call it Flight deck management....Its getting to the point where the second pilot is there to keep the other one company.
It's still piloting where I work, and don't start me on the AutoLand bs. (It is OK, and just OK, for when it is required...most of the time it's not really appropriate, and some times you really, really don't want anything to do with it...sorry...)

You may call it piloting but what does management call it? Dont take it personal but if you really dont believe that one man cockpits will ever come you are mistaken. I'm sure train operators had a million safety reasons why we would never see unmanned trains but they are here. YOu may have taken one to the terminal before and after your last flight. I'm sure there were a lot of valid arguements against unmanned trains but they are here and people have become used to them.

Two heads being better than one? Probably but twice as costly. As far as how much safer it is it didnt change the results in the Canary Islands or the recent crash in Kentucky.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not in favor of this, but after being in this industry for 25 years I know that economics doesnt take a back seat to safety. Despite all the propaganda to the contrary. If the airlines scan slash their most expensive labor cost in half they will eventually do it. I have no dobt that the pilots will fight this but they wont have many allies. Their history of being agreeable to sacrificing safety as long as it came at the expense of other workers (like when the gave the nod to part 145 revisions allowing foreign maintenance)will come back to haunt them.

Yes, we should make sure that all those first class seats are made available for positive space non-rev seats for our highly qualified board members like Rojer Stauback and their families. Throwing a football around for twenty years makes him qualified to run an airline. Jam the pilots into a middle seat in coach so when its his/her time to fly they will be well rested right?

Shows how much you know really outside of your little M&E world, Bob...

First, Staubach only spent 11 seasons with the Cowboys (1969 to 1979).

Second, for the past 30 years, he's been the head of a commercial real estate partnership that posted $345M in revenue for 2005, and is expected to report revenues in the area of $450M for 2006.

Third, he's an Annapolis graduate and a Vietnam vet.

So, he's not just a dumb jock. He's one of the most succesful business people in Dallas, and certainly one of the most successful retired sports figures in the world.

You may call it piloting but what does management call it? Dont take it personal but if you really dont believe that one man cockpits will ever come you are mistaken. I'm sure train operators had a million safety reasons why we would never see unmanned trains but they are here. YOu may have taken one to the terminal before and after your last flight. I'm sure there were a lot of valid arguements against unmanned trains but they are here and people have become used to them.

Two heads being better than one? Probably but twice as costly. As far as how much safer it is it didnt change the results in the Canary Islands or the recent crash in Kentucky.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not in favor of this, but after being in this industry for 25 years I know that economics doesnt take a back seat to safety. Despite all the propaganda to the contrary. If the airlines scan slash their most expensive labor cost in half they will eventually do it. I have no dobt that the pilots will fight this but they wont have many allies. Their history of being agreeable to sacrificing safety as long as it came at the expense of other workers (like when the gave the nod to part 145 revisions allowing foreign maintenance)will come back to haunt them.

Actualy, I suspect you are right about one-man or even unmanned airliners....someday

Right now, the system and a/c are really not ready for it

I know the technology is available, but it is not out there in big enough numbers...yet

As for the two heads comment re safety...that is how it should be...I did say if they are both thinking...

Cheers

He's one of the most succesful business people in Dallas, and certainly one of the most successful retired sports figures in the world.

Dcow.jpg

What wonderful memories.

You're right FM, Bob wouldn't understand.