Profit Sharing

safety stud

Senior
Apr 6, 2006
I, by no means am trying to divide both east and west, I however, want to know why on the AFA side of the profit sharing check, the west was included in this last dispersal. NO WHERE within their contract (west) does it say word one about ANY profit sharing. Our contract (east) however does, in explicite detail.

Unionized labor groups on the east developed such clauses within their working agreement, which in most cases, is still in effect, to offset the dramatic financial losses from BK's. The mere fact our union included the west is another act of division within the ranks. If you put the other shoe on the east and it was the west that had profit sharing and not the east, the answer would be the same. It is not fair to include another party to the money that is not expressly detailed within their contract. AFA needs to explain why they took the millions of dollars away from the people that rightfully shoud have been inclulded exclulsively to that check. Face it, the west flight attendants diluted the amount the east would have recieved.

Thoughts...
Comments...

Just my opinion...

This has been argued repeatedly on ths board. I don't think there is an answer everyone agrees to. However, I've been with HP since 1990 and the company always shared the profit an an annual bonus. So I don't see why east employees think we should all of a sudden stop because of the merger. I don't think they called it profit sharing, but it was the same thing. There was one stretch where they decided just to give everyone a 4 percent raise instead of profit sharing because that was about what it averaged out to on a year by year basis. But other than that, HP had been sharing the profit with it's employees for years.

Yeah, it's quiet evident that this thread is totally different than other threads asking the same question, about the same topic.

Yeah, way different.

I'll second that. We took pay concessions in exchange for profit sharing. The west didn't, period. The blame should be placed on the union, not the west employees or the company. I, plus all my co-workers are filling against the union for this practice and will continue until the grievance is heard. I suggest that you do the same.

However, I've been with HP since 1990 and the company always shared the profit an an annual bonus. So I don't see why east employees think we should all of a sudden stop because of the merger. I don't think they called it profit sharing, but it was the same thing.

The question is; is what was paid out to the West F/As part of the "pool" set aside for the F/As per their contract. If it was, its not fair.

However if additional money was put into the 'pool' to cover the west F/As per previous practice, then not a problem. The union was making the payout the same.

But, I don't beleive any extra money was put in the pool to cover the West F/As.

Yes, it is true that in our current collective bargaining agreement that we do not have provisions for profit sharing. Profit sharing was negotiated as part of the transition agreement and I believe ( I could be mistaken) that Mike Flores and Carol Austin agreed to it in exchange for no fences in Phoenix. Again, I could be mistaken on what the exact give and take was, but it definitely was negotiated as part of the transition agreement.
I'm pretty sure singleflyer is correct, there was not additional money added to the pool to cove the west.

I can't speak for all the westies, but I know that most really appreciate the fact that we were included. I, of course, realize that many easties could careless and that it doesn't negate the pain of giving up part of your piece of the pie. I certainly understand why some would be upset. Unfortunately, it is what it is and I think most of us on the line are really wondering what exactly it is Gary, Nicky, Mike and Carol ARE negotiating for in the way of a contract. We aren't happy on the west, and I know based on some postings here that the east reserves are over Carol.

All the while, Delta today announces severance packages for 30,000 employees and 5% reduction in flying. Makes you wonder what the sandcastle has in store for us. We are way overstaffed with FA's on the west and with all the TDY's on the east they certainly don't know what they are doing in the way of staffing.

Yes, it is true that in our current collective bargaining agreement that we do not have provisions for profit sharing. Profit sharing was negotiated as part of the transition agreement and I believe ( I could be mistaken) that Mike Flores and Carol Austin agreed to it in exchange for no fences in Phoenix. Again, I could be mistaken on what the exact give and take was, but it definitely was negotiated as part of the transition agreement.
I'm pretty sure singleflyer is correct, there was not additional money added to the pool to cove the west.

I can't speak for all the westies, but I know that most really appreciate the fact that we were included. I, of course, realize that many easties could careless and that it doesn't negate the pain of giving up part of your piece of the pie. I certainly understand why some would be upset. Unfortunately, it is what it is and I think most of us on the line are really wondering what exactly it is Gary, Nicky, Mike and Carol ARE negotiating for in the way of a contract. We aren't happy on the west, and I know based on some postings here that the east reserves are over Carol.

All the while, Delta today announces severance packages for 30,000 employees and 5% reduction in flying. Makes you wonder what the sandcastle has in store for us. We are way overstaffed with FA's on the west and with all the TDY's on the east they certainly don't know what they are doing in the way of staffing.

If the transition agreement is such that allows no fence to be in place after the joint contract is reached then I could understand the inclusion of the west F/A's. However, As we are all painfully aware of, contract negotiations are going at a snails pace. Further, as I have stated in the past, the contract for the east isn't up for change until 2011. We are both working under seperate contracts. Pay, vacation, and sick accrual time is seperate, along with scheduling. Therefore, as I see it, we are still working under seperate enforceable contracts and working agreements. A bigger question should be, exactly how many people would actually transfer to the west and visa versa. My guess is not that many.

So how is it that a fence has become a multi-million dollar issue. The amount of money divided by the actual number of affected people is relatively small. Should the company continue to prosper, the price of having a fence we still can not use will just increase. And still, the majority of those affected would not be able to reap the gains of the contract language.

Just my opinion...

I, by no means am trying to divide both east and west, I however, want to know why on the AFA side of the profit sharing check, the west was included in this last dispersal. NO WHERE within their contract (west) does it say word one about ANY profit sharing. Our contract (east) however does, in explicite detail.

Thoughts...
Comments...

Just my opinion...

They were included last year too. It is part of the transition agreement. On the EAST side. the union recently sent out an e-line about profit sharing that actually included an e-line from last year covering why the WEST was included in the profit sharing.

They were included last year too. It is part of the transition agreement. On the EAST side. the union recently sent out an e-line about profit sharing that actually included an e-line from last year covering why the WEST was included in the profit sharing.

Then the west is working under the same contract as the east?
You know, work rules, pay, vacation, sked, etc.
I don't think so...

The transition agreement is supposed to cover a reasonable length of time for the two parties to come together to negotiate a joint contract. This isn't taking place what so ever!!! And as I stated earlier, the east contract isn't up until 2011. So we have to live seperately till then with a transition agreement that should only last a year or so to 6 or 7 years? What is good for the goose better be good for the gander!!! If the company was bargining in good faith this would make sense to me. They are not. And as the price of fuel goes up, what's next for us. Is it just a matter of time till the company comes back to us and says, guess what we need more from you? Time will tell...

Just my opinion...

I'll second that. We took pay concessions in exchange for profit sharing. The west didn't, period. The blame should be placed on the union, not the west employees or the company. I, plus all my co-workers are filling against the union for this practice and will continue until the grievance is heard. I suggest that you do the same.

WRONG. What do you mean we in the west didn't get concessions? You don't know anything about the west do you? When we were in chapter 11 in 1990, the company froze our pay for 5 years!!!! Yes. 5 freaking years with no pay increases! They also took our Award Pay (which is the same as profit sharing) because we voted a union. Imagine, a flight attendant making $12,000 a year for 5 freaking years and having our award pay taken away. Give me a break!

Technically West since we haven't merged the FA group yet, but not to worry....they will get a share of the East profit-sharing next year too.

Rest assured, NO ONE will be getting profit sharing next year with the economy the way it is.

The reason the West got profit sharing was that the furloughed East FAs could work for HP instead of them hiring off the street.

Back