Proselytizing Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he should be fired. He certainly should be counciled by Professional Standards, and perhaps get 30 days as FO to teach him some humility.

The operation was not affected, nor was safety comprimised in any way.

While I don't agree with what this pilot did - I will say that he doesn't deserve to be fired over it. After all - IF God were leading him to speak out.......would you really want to mess with the "BIG GUY" upstairs? Now before you start attacking me - let me explain: There is a time and place for everything - and I personally do not believe that the place to be spreading the "good word" is in a situation as the pilot was, however, if he was led by the "man upstair" - this embarrassment to the company may be a blessing, and they will reap the rewards later. After all God works in mysterious ways......

I am sorry - but when someone is down - I will not push them further down and fire them. IF the pilot acted INAPPROPRIATELY - trying to be a zealous christian - that stems from trying to be a good person.

jsn25911 said:
IF the pilot acted INAPPROPRIATELY - trying to be a zealous christian - that stems from trying to be a good person.
Zealous - adj. from Zealots: A fanactical sect in of ancient Judaea bitterly opposing the Roman occupation of Palestine. The Zealots were also called Iscarioth, because of the daggers they carried with them.

They believed that they served God best by being armed and by killing the enemies of God - or at least their own enemies. At least two of Jesus' disciples, Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, may have been Zealots. {Any of this sound familiar?}

The warlike attitude of the Zealots toward their Roman occupiers may have been one reason the Romans destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem.

Their spiritual descendants today are those people who engage in "holy wars," who believe that God wants them to kill people who don't share their way of worship and belief. {For extra credit, name one or more modern parallels?}

I'm sorry. I grew up in the South. You will not convince me that this pilot is "just trying to be a good person." His actions stem from the evangelical belief in the right to judge anyone who is not sitting in your particular church on Sunday--because your church, and in some cases, your particular congregation, is the only one in possession of the truth. I never quite grasped their message which was "God loves you. You are going to Hell."

The man has a Christian and spiritual approach to life. We could use more of this. Unfortunately he chose the wrong forum to speak about it. That is his mistake, where he spoke about it, not who he is.

jsn25911 said:
While I don't agree with what this pilot did - I will say that he doesn't deserve to be fired over it. After all - IF God were leading him to speak out.......would you really want to mess with the "BIG GUY" upstairs? Now before you start attacking me - let me explain: There is a time and place for everything - and I personally do not believe that the place to be spreading the "good word" is in a situation as the pilot was, however, if he was led by the "man upstair" - this embarrassment to the company may be a blessing, and they will reap the rewards later. After all God works in mysterious ways......

I am sorry - but when someone is down - I will not push them further down and fire them. IF the pilot acted INAPPROPRIATELY - trying to be a zealous christian - that stems from trying to be a good person.
You have to ask "if"? You must be kidding.

Firing him is over board. I would like to see him on an unpaid leave for 1 month. If he is “hearing voicesâ€￾ telling him to do something he needs to be relived of duty and he can fly a desk. I sure do not want him tuning into the wrong channel and hear a voice to drill the plane into the ground.

Garfield1966 said:
jsn25911 said:

You have to ask "if"? You must be kidding.

Firing him is over board. I would like to see him on an unpaid leave for 1 month. If he is “hearing voicesâ€￾ telling him to do something he needs to be relived of duty and he can fly a desk. I sure do not want him tuning into the wrong channel and hear a voice to drill the plane into the ground.

Garfield - As I said - I think this was inappropriate.

Don't be silly - God would never ask anyone to kill another person by putting a plane into the ground. You are trying to make this guy out to be a "crazy" person - however, I just see him as being a little too zealous.

Furthermore, I didn't say he is hearing voices - you are putting words into my mouth (and that is very unsanitary) - when you listen to God - it is in your heart. I am sorry that you have not heard God's voice - it is very comforting.

twasilverbullet said:
Careful, you might get written up for agreeing with one of us.
I didn't agree with an Ex-TWA f/a. I agreed with an attorney who is married to an Ex-TWA f/a!! So what if I get written up. It will never happen anyway, so why should I care about it. What are you going to do write me up yourself? I'm so scared being that you're on furlough and I'm flying!! :lol:

L1011Ret said:
The man has a Christian and spiritual approach to life. We could use more of this. Unfortunately he chose the wrong forum to speak about it. That is his mistake, where he spoke about it, not who he is.
We need people with strong ethics and high morals - they don't need to be christians. If I had been on that airplane I wouldn't have raised my hand, and would have felt insulted at the veiled suggestion that I was less moral, ethical or worthy than those with their hands raised.

I don't think the pilot should be fired, but I think the company has a right to do whatever it takes to make sure he never, never pulls anything like that again. How embarrassing.

MK

The pilot is probably more ashamed and embarassed than anyone. I guess we could get John Ashcroft to charge him with not being politically correct (PC).

LiveInAHotel said:
I didn't agree with an Ex-TWA f/a. I agreed with an attorney who is married to an Ex-TWA f/a!! So what if I get written up. It will never happen anyway, so why should I care about it. What are you going to do write me up yourself? I'm so scared being that you're on furlough and I'm flying!! :lol:
Live, for chrissakes don't get your knickers in a twist. It was a joke!

And the comment about you're flying and they are not is contemptible. I'm nAAtive and I'm not flying either.

WOW!!! Some of these responses are WAY out there!! What this pilot did is mildly inapropriate. I can't belive how many people want him suspended or even FIRED! Would we respond the same way if he was Muslim or Hindu? I doubt it. God forbid we OFFEND them. How about if he asked all the Vegetarians to raise their hands and then share their beliefs? I doubt anyone would bat an eye and most of these zealot Vegetariens are WAY more annoying than these zealous Christians!

AAmech said:
WOW!!! Some of these responses are WAY out there!!  What this pilot did is mildly inapropriate. I can't belive how many people want him suspended or even FIRED!  Would we respond the same way if he was Muslim or Hindu? I doubt it. God forbid we OFFEND them.
I'd feel the same way if he asked Republicans to raise their hands and then educate the Democrats. I don't give a damn about his politics, religion or eating habits. Fly the damn airplane and get me there safely. If you want to point out the Grand Canyon, OK. But don't get into all that other stuff.

MK

Kirkpatrick I totally agree. Nothing will happen to the guy though. They can insult foreign customs officals (company paid $13,000 fine) or insult passengers religious beliefs. Don't forget the company waived the $24 million that APA owed the company for their illegal work stoppage.

kirkpatrick said:
AAmech said:
WOW!!! Some of these responses are WAY out there!! What this pilot did is mildly inapropriate. I can't belive how many people want him suspended or even FIRED! Would we respond the same way if he was Muslim or Hindu? I doubt it. God forbid we OFFEND them.
I'd feel the same way if he asked Republicans to raise their hands and then educate the Democrats. I don't give a damn about his politics, religion or eating habits. Fly the damn airplane and get me there safely. If you want to point out the Grand Canyon, OK. But don't get into all that other stuff.

MK
AGREED!!!

AAmech said:

MK
AGREED!!![/QUOTE]

Just to put in my two cents worth - I also totally agree with your statement Kirkpatrick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back