Question for any Capts or First officers on the A321

Watcher,

You are correct. There are really two considerations - the authority to fly from DCA to the west coast (an exemption from the perimeter rule) and the ability of a specific airplane type to fly that distance non-stop.

It appears that only Alaska has an exemption - they fly non-stop from DCA to both LAX & SEA (not counting other's exemptions for non-stop service to points short of the west coast).

A cursory look at our timetable seems to indicate that the longest non-stop we fly from DCA with the A321 is to MCO, though that's just based on a quick look at various destinations on Saturday & Monday. So I'd just repeat my "gut feeling" - I doubt that the A321 could make the west coast from DCA with a full passenger load given the runway length available, even if we had an exemption that permitted non-stop service.

Jim

Thanks for everyone helping me out here. I do appreciate the time you all have taken out to answer my question. This is one of the reasons why I really enjoy coming to these boards because so many of you have helpful insight/information.

Thanks again :up:

T
When they applied for DCA-SFO a year or so ago they said the aircraft to be used was a 757 in the current seating configuration.

I'm sure he's going to take the performance data that he receives here (secondhand), print it out, and spend the entire flight CLT-LAX trying to use the stack of printouts to force the locked/armored flight-deck door. :rolleyes:

Oh, and so we are clear: the 9/11 guys showed up at flight schools around the country. Better call the feds. Quick.

They don't make a big enough rolleye icon for this post.
I am SOORRY I am a DORK

Latest posts