In flight service on US transcons

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
I rarely fly US Airways transcon, preferring jetBlue or United (love that ch9!) After my last US transcon - some 18 month ago, IIRC - (SFO or LAX-PHL) I posted that I was surprised and dismayed that there were only two beverage services. On the second one (about 45 mins before PHL) I asked for coffee and was told "it's not a coffee service this time"). In that posting, I asked what the service standard was for a daytime transcon flight. As I recall, the answers were generally that there should have been more beverage runs.

By contrast, on B6 there are usually 3-4 on a transcon.

Yesterday, I flew US PHL-West Coast again. The F/As ere very pleasant and as the flight, almost full on an A321, was boarded and very helpful with finding carry on space and seating families together. BOB and beverage service was offered about 45 mins after take-off. F/As again, very nice. After trash pick-up, no sign of them for the rest of the flight!

As the flight crossed the Nevada-Calif state line, I was thirsty. I had window seat and did not want to disturb my seatmate (who was travelling with an exceptionally well behaved baby - in contrast to the other babies and toddlers) by going back to the galley. I did something I hardly ever do - ring the F/A call button, (Normally I only do this in the event of some problem, like a drink spill os some such) . When the F/A came, I said I was sorry to have buzzed, but could I have an apple-cranberry. They were out, so opted for apple juice instead.

Now, two flights with such minimal service is not a scientifically valid sample, so
my questions for "yinz", especially those who fly more US transcons than I do:
How common is this? (Since they were out of cranapple, perhaps the flight was short catered and the single drink run was the crew's way dealing with it.)
Is there a service standard? If so, what is it?

I just returned from LAX-CLT-LAX this AM. This was my first flight on US since September, 2008. In fact, the last time I flew transcon on US, the beverage service consisted of "Would you like to purchase a beverage today?" :lol:

On both of my flights there were two full beverage services, and one coffee run-through after the first beverage service. I used to fly US transcon several times per year, and I don't recall a 3rd or 4th full beverage service. Sometimes the FA's will come through the cabin with cups of water. I actually prefer this than to have the beverage cart take up the aisle for long periods of time.

I rarely fly US Airways transcon, preferring jetBlue or United (love that ch9!) After my last US transcon - some 18 month ago, IIRC - (SFO or LAX-PHL) I posted that I was surprised and dismayed that there were only two beverage services. On the second one (about 45 mins before PHL) I asked for coffee and was told "it's not a coffee service this time"). In that posting, I asked what the service standard was for a daytime transcon flight. As I recall, the answers were generally that there should have been more beverage runs.

By contrast, on B6 there are usually 3-4 on a transcon.

Yesterday, I flew US PHL-West Coast again. The F/As ere very pleasant and as the flight, almost full on an A321, was boarded and very helpful with finding carry on space and seating families together. BOB and beverage service was offered about 45 mins after take-off. F/As again, very nice. After trash pick-up, no sign of them for the rest of the flight!

As the flight crossed the Nevada-Calif state line, I was thirsty. I had window seat and did not want to disturb my seatmate (who was travelling with an exceptionally well behaved baby - in contrast to the other babies and toddlers) by going back to the galley. I did something I hardly ever do - ring the F/A call button, (Normally I only do this in the event of some problem, like a drink spill os some such) . When the F/A came, I said I was sorry to have buzzed, but could I have an apple-cranberry. They were out, so opted for apple juice instead.

Now, two flights with such minimal service is not a scientifically valid sample, so
my questions for "yinz", especially those who fly more US transcons than I do:
How common is this? (Since they were out of cranapple, perhaps the flight was short catered and the single drink run was the crew's way dealing with it.)
Is there a service standard? If so, what is it?

I am a f/a who flies transcon all of the time...
There is only so much room in the galley to put drinks...
Each flight is catered the same way....w/ the same amount of drinks...
Sometimes more people have the same tastes..... I can tell you , that more oj is boarded than cran apple.... double the amount...
So that day more people were probably drinking your first choice.... #2, if the f/a's gave out the whole can on their first service,
is more than likely they will run out of certain items....

On any given day the airline cannot predict that there will be more cranapple drinkers vs/ apple ...
hope this helps...

On any given day the airline cannot predict that there will be more cranapple drinkers vs/ apple ...
hope this helps...
[/quote]

Agree with this totally! I worked a flight the other day, ran out of cranberry, worked the same flight the week before, ran out of gingerale. One day, run on Diet Coke, next day, run on coke. On and on it goes. Can't tell which drink is going to be the drink of the day. And certainly cannot plan for it.

What was the flight number you took...you could have had a West crew working PHL to the West coast or a East coast cabin crew. The flight number of your flight helps to determine your cabin crew.

The required transcon service should consist of: After take off a full beverage service, pouring into a cup and not a full can unless pax request. This is done while the BOB meal service is being provided. Immediately after this first service, a trash service is to be completed. Followed by a coffee and water service (2nd beverage). An hour and half before landing, another full beverage service (3rd beverage) is provided. Additional beverages can be requested by asking the flight attndt. Some FAs will wallk thru the cabin offering additional water service pending on flight time and if the flight was properly provisioned by catering.

What was the flight number you took...you could have had a West crew working PHL to the West coast or a East coast cabin crew. The flight number of your flight helps to determine your cabin crew.

The required transcon service should consist of: After take off a full beverage service, pouring into a cup and not a full can unless pax request. This is done while the BOB meal service is being provided. Immediately after this first service, a trash service is to be completed. Followed by a coffee and water service (2nd beverage). An hour and half before landing, another full beverage service (3rd beverage) is provided. Additional beverages can be requested by asking the flight attndt. Some FAs will wallk thru the cabin offering additional water service pending on flight time and if the flight was properly provisioned by catering.

It is more a matter of the individual crew rather than an East/West issue. However, I have found the West F/A's to be 100% compliant with the service requirements.

Many East F/A's modify the service to their own version.

Recently, a customer came to the aft galley requesting a glass of water. The F/A, while looking up from her crossword puzzle, pointed to the bottle of water and plastic cups set up on the trash compartment located next to the aft left Lav and said: "Help Yourself.." and resumed her puzzle.

Consistency in the way the product is delivered has always been a shortcoming of USAirways. Except under Wolf/Gangwal when accountability was viewed as being important.

Are you listening Hector?

I will not sit here and say that I never given out the can but it's technically NOT procedure. When I fly "B" I do give the galley a "once over" to see just what we have to work with as you don't always get catered the same way. I have worked so many transcon flights where it's ONE beverage consisting of the can and no coffee/water following. THEN some of those very same crews will not do an arrival beverage. UNREAL. Look.... it will all come down to pissy f/a's in the back that don't want to do it. Period! ! ! 99.9% there is enough to do a pour service for arrival give or take a few choices not available. As mentioned, back in the Wolf days a transcon had FOUR beverages. It was a beverage then restock, beverage with meal cart, trash followed by coffee/water. On arrival there was another beverage 90 minutes out. Someone on here tell me the last time you witnessed an arrival beverage on a redeye? AAAAAHAHAHAHA Anyhow, while I've handed the can myself it's not the f/a's place to not follow the service flow because they think the company owes them something. It's a fine line and I get it but for the love of God learn how to work. My God it's a soda. :rolleyes:

I will not sit here and say that I never given out the can but it's technically NOT procedure. When I fly "B" I do give the galley a "once over" to see just what we have to work with as you don't always get catered the same way. I have worked so many transcon flights where it's ONE beverage consisting of the can and no coffee/water following. THEN some of those very same crews will not do an arrival beverage. UNREAL. Look.... it will all come down to pissy f/a's in the back that don't want to do it. Period! ! ! 99.9% there is enough to do a pour service for arrival give or take a few choices not available. As mentioned, back in the Wolf days a transcon had FOUR beverages. It was a beverage then restock, beverage with meal cart, trash followed by coffee/water. On arrival there was another beverage 90 minutes out. Someone on here tell me the last time you witnessed an arrival beverage on a redeye? AAAAAHAHAHAHA Anyhow, while I've handed the can myself it's not the f/a's place to not follow the service flow because they think the company owes them something. It's a fine line and I get it but for the love of God learn how to work. My God it's a soda. :rolleyes:
I say pour away... don't give the can unless requested.... when we charged $2 for a can they did not want it... now they want a coke, h20, coffee, and juice...
screw that... give them a cup and say .... "pick one" ..... we will come back again w/ a coffee, h20 service... and another beverage .... three drinks in 4 hours will do!! :up:

I was NEVER a fan of selling soda but you are sooooooo right. When we sold beverages man didn't purchase but now? OMG you can have people order 3 drinks at a time. It happens and it happens A LOT! We all know it. I personally don't care if they drink enough that they piss themselves trying to get out of the window seat and to the lav. I simply agree 100% that it happens A LOT and on short flights to boot. :lol: My thoughts today are, "Just do the damn service like asked". It's bare bones compared to what many other airlines do. Speaking of that did everyone GASP when they read about CO charging for meals soon? OMG what are the airlines being reduced to? I say, "Welcome to 7-11 guys/gals of CO". ;) :lol:

As Floyd says, oh for the Love of Gaga, we all know that we keep a supply of everything in our rollaboard in case a cutie asks for something we're out of--at least that's what Gloria told me to say next time we get our bags searched. It's a transcon--if you can't go without eating or drinking for 5 hours, you aren't taking the right diet pills.

No silly, we're SELLING trash! You must really catch up with the times! :lol:

'Trash service!' lol

Jetsetter, how many web forums with how many aliases are you on trying to convince customers to hate 'east' crews as much as you do? Mergers happen, especially at US... It's time to drop the 'my team' game and be a part of the airline you are currently with. The generalizations about the much larger part of the airline are absurd, especially when you're vantage point seems to be limited to domestic PHL-PHX runs. An airlines service and delivery is only as good as it's management. The same crews you want everyone to think are so unfriendly and terrible have also won prestigious awards in cabin service, even internationally. So perhaps all the hatred should be pointed towards your beloved HQ building and the product and morale their 'vision' has produced, instead of at your co-workers.

FlyontheWall,

There is NO indication in Jetsetter's post of where he/she might be based. It was just a question of what flight number where you on? Go re-read the post. The post then went on to answer the OP question in detail and coreectly. That is the current and correct service detail. No matter WHERE you are based, you should be following it. (I'm not meaning you specific Fly) I agree with these other posters that our service is inconsistent and there usually is no reson for it, note I said usually :blink: I am PHX based and unfortunatly, I can tell you my co-workers do not always adhere to these standards. In that case, I will roam the aisle to be more visible for passenger requests.

Latest posts