payload of A321 question

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Someone from dispatch would probably know this best, but...

Fully loaded with fuel, what's the max payload of a US A321 now? With 5 net additional seats created by taking out 10F seats, how much do you add to that payload and what does that do to the aircraft performance at sea level vs. high/hot airports, as well as it's transcon range?

It's always seemed that as its currently configured, it's a pig with wings. I can't imagine adding 5 seats can help that at all unless they cut the weight from somewhere else. Certainly not fuel, since it's fully loaded to make PHL-SFO already. Any cargo to reduce? BUt if so, then it would seem to eat into any net gains of the 5 additional Y pax revenue. I just don't get it. Nobody does except Tempe who seem to have all the answers these days.....

Its just like its big brother no engines or brakes---though 330 has a fantastic wing--- Ahhhh but where-o-where are more 757 2B7's <<--now this is a hauling machine.

It's true. We got shafted on the engines. They increased the thrust for takeoff but never raised the climb thrust from a lower thrust engine. Since we're on a service plan and an increase in thrust would increase the maintenance costs, our friends at the manufacturer refused. We were told that the A321 burns 5000lbs more fuel for a west coast flight than it was advertised to burn before we bought it. But, the customers like the extra room and comfort over both our 737s and 757s.

Guess were stuck with em.

A320 Driver B)

Someone from dispatch would probably know this best, but...

Fully loaded with fuel, what's the max payload of a US A321 now? With 5 net additional seats created by taking out 10F seats, how much do you add to that payload and what does that do to the aircraft performance at sea level vs. high/hot airports, as well as it's transcon range?

It's always seemed that as its currently configured, it's a pig with wings. I can't imagine adding 5 seats can help that at all unless they cut the weight from somewhere else. Certainly not fuel, since it's fully loaded to make PHL-SFO already. Any cargo to reduce? BUt if so, then it would seem to eat into any net gains of the 5 additional Y pax revenue. I just don't get it. Nobody does except Tempe who seem to have all the answers these days.....

While the A321 doesn't have the power the B757 does to have an impressive climb rate right up to its highest cruise altitude, it is more than adequate for the mission on most days.

The exception would be with a stiff headwind Westbound. This happened earlier this year, but all fleet types were affected, including B757's.

The A321 gives a more comfortable ride, has better entertainment systems, and just a pinch wider seating than the B757 or B737/700/800/900.

Flown properly and with accurate flight planning, the A321 is a good, but not great transcon machine.

It's a pig but so far it brings home the bacon. Besides, we have experience with pigs travelling cross-country.

Funny, about the pigs.

The 321 is appropriate, if used properly.

Flying it in Class II airspace is inappropriate (yes, we did that an entire summer until a whistleblower put a stop to it - he has since been trashed by management - and the crappy pilot group will not support him). OBTW, no HF radios nor life rafts while over 400 miles from the nearest land. Violations? You bet.

I flew the 321 at 24000 all the way from PHL to LAX one night, beating a 757 that had to go high to make it non-stop. We had a smooth ride the entire way, he had bumps. We burned an extra 2k lbs. After taking off ten minutes after him, on roll-out we heard he had to go-around for a flap problem.

U (yeah, this means the CLT training center and most of their personnel) is not adult enough to understand the limitations as well as the abilities of our aircraft, therefore U uses them in inappropriate manners.

For instance. Assume a two-man cockpit 757 is trans-Atlantic and has a medical emergency. Please describe how you will violate all sorts of FARs while attempting to save someones life. Better yet, pretend this is an IOE, with one pilot not qualified. Tell me how this will end, assuming not perfect conditions.

This is standard. Why do we put up with life-threatening procedures? Are we saving money or just hoping nothing happens. Is there a downside to this? Do I have to ask?

Latest posts