Reconfigured A321s

Last night an a320 had a fuel stop from phl to phx. They had to stop in Albuquerque . What a nightmare. Apparently the a/c was to heavy and they had 130 knot headwinds.

Given that the 321s (And 320s and 319s on occasion) already get hit for fuel stops, and the reconfigured ones are heavier, I'm not quite sure how I follow.

Time will tell. This might have had some shred of credibility coming from Bular....

Hopefully this is the case. The summer schedule shows that only 1 out of 4 PHL-SFO flights is a 321, which is our longest transcon. I guess they just plan to offer less capacity on these type of routes since they know that it will be a stretch with the extra weight.

Last night an a320 had a fuel stop from phl to phx. They had to stop in Albuquerque . What a nightmare. Apparently the a/c was to heavy and they had 130 knot headwinds.
Our 320 had to stop in LAS for fuel before continuing on the LAX.
PAX threatened she was starting a class action for "fraud". :shock:
Charging for a non stop when you know that you'll have to stop for fuel.

Talk about ugly.

With all the stops, extra landing fees and fuel cost, not to mention ticking off our customers...tell me
how is this making us money (aka: profit) and how is this making us "helpful and friendly all the time"? :blink:

Talk about ugly.

With all the stops, extra landing fees and fuel cost, not to mention ticking off our customers...tell me
how is this making us money (aka: profit) and how is this making us "helpful and friendly all the time"? :blink:
Here's a question, a parent books his child on a flight that is nonstop. The plane stops for fuel. Doesn't this put extra pressure on the FA trying to keep the child content? I remember my 1st time travelling alone back in 1971, that was a good time.

Here's a question, a parent books his child on a flight that is nonstop. The plane stops for fuel. Doesn't this put extra pressure on the FA trying to keep the child content? I remember my 1st time travelling alone back in 1971, that was a good time.

Yes it does.

it it just me, or are other employees out there just plain embarrassed and fed up with all the stupid moves this managment team has been making as of late? admiting that they are going to use a/c that dont have the range anymore to get the job done...PLEASE!!!!!! get the F28's back, lets use those to the west coast......doug if your listening...STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!! <_<

it it just me, or are other employees out there just plain embarrassed and fed up with all the stupid moves this managment team has been making as of late? admiting that they are going to use a/c that dont have the range anymore to get the job done...PLEASE!!!!!! get the F28's back, lets use those to the west coast......doug if your listening...STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!! <_<

Sorry, Chugalug is busy.

it it just me, or are other employees out there just plain embarrassed and fed up with all the stupid moves this management team has been making as of late? admitting that they are going to use a/c that dont have the range anymore to get the job done...PLEASE!!!!!! get the F28's back, lets use those to the west coast......Doug if your listening...STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!! <_<
If I have to fly the 320 transcon one more time and make another fuel stop I'll be sure to have DP & SK email addresses handy for our passengers.

Seems as of lately while I am in uniform I am apologizing and it's because of management's decisions. :down:
Kirby stated he would switch aircraft if it continued....
how many flights need to divert in order to switch a/c?

Talk about ugly.

Someone was pulled off in Albuquerque and arrested because during the refueling process they tried to push into the cockpit to confront pilots. :shock: Some people are just stupid.

Someone was pulled off in Albuquerque and arrested because during the refueling process they tried to push into the cockpit to confront pilots. :shock: Some people are just stupid.
There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Maybe one of the pilots should have come out and talked to some of the passengers. Answer some of their questions. It would put the passengers minds at ease. With all the delays in the news and the way other airlines handled the problem, some passengers just panic. Most of the time its someone who is not a regular flier.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the most expensive leg of a flight (from the fuel burn stand point) is take-off and climb to cruise altitude. An extra fuel stop would wipe out any profit made from the few extra passengers. Especially if the last leg is short. Speaking of dumb mistakes: Does anyone remember the business select adjustable seats? :shock:
The End

Correct me if I'm wrong but the most expensive leg of a flight (from the fuel burn stand point) is take-off and climb to cruise altitude.
No correction necessary, since you're got the right idea - T/O and climb may not burn over 50% of the total trip fuel but it burns an inordinate amount it. On the 737, T/O and climb burn varied between 35 & 50% of trip fuel, but we didn't fly anything much over 3 hours.

The longer the flight, the lower percentage of the total burn is used in T/O and climb - but also the lower % of trip distance spent in T/O and climb.

The three most expensive abnormal things for a flight are probably divert, fuel stop, or hold.

Jim

There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Maybe one of the pilots should have come out and talked to some of the passengers. Answer some of their questions. It would put the passengers minds at ease. With all the delays in the news and the way other airlines handled the problem, some passengers just panic. Most of the time its someone who is not a regular flier.

Huh?

Don't get me wrong, I am fully in favor of pilots keeping the passengers informed as to status, but come on. Do you doubt for a second that sometime between the time that the decision was first made to do a fuel stop and the time that the passenger allegedly tried to force their way into the flight deck that the situation had been fully explained to the passengers, likely more then once?

The passenger was likely quite upset and looking to vent at the pilots. BFD. The pilots are busy during a fuel stop. They need to make sure they get properly fueled, get new dispatch paperwork, including a new weight and balance, as well as a new flightplan. Everything needs to again be programmed into the computer just like at the beginning of any flight. There is already enough stress going on with the delay and a passenger venting at the pilots because they did the correct and safe thing by landing for fuel is unwelcome and unneccesary.

Needless to say, under the circumstances I fully support the decision to have this buffoon arrested.

Huh?

Don't get me wrong, I am fully in favor of pilots keeping the passengers informed as to status, but come on. Do you doubt for a second that sometime between the time that the decision was first made to do a fuel stop and the time that the passenger allegedly tried to force their way into the flight deck that the situation had been fully explained to the passengers, likely more then once?

The passenger was likely quite upset and looking to vent at the pilots. BFD. The pilots are busy during a fuel stop. They need to make sure they get properly fueled, get new dispatch paperwork, including a new weight and balance, as well as a new flightplan. Everything needs to again be programmed into the computer just like at the beginning of any flight. There is already enough stress going on with the delay and a passenger venting at the pilots because they did the correct and safe thing by landing for fuel is unwelcome and unneccesary.

Needless to say, under the circumstances I fully support the decision to have this buffoon arrested.
I am not disagreeing with you on that, I am speaking in a normal pretense where as nothing has to happen with the passengers getting uptight, but just going back there and saying a few things about it. Alot of the time it may be a few words that puts everybody at ease.

This goes back to life in general, if a person is informed about a situation, it goes better. Its the area of not knowing, the uncertainty that gets people to put strange things in their heads and gets them selves uptight.

Also a pilot coming out is good PR for the company. Not that he wants to do it, but it may get the customer's mind off the fuel stop and on something positive. But there will always be that idiot that thinks that they know it all, but life throws curves.

I agree that idiot mentioned above should have been arrested. I am just saying on future fuel stops, talk to the passengers that are willing to listen or have questions. It could be damage control. This is an idea, I know we are on the same side on this against Tempe.

Latest posts