In flight service on US transcons

I just flew PHL-LAS rt. in the last week in first. It was west metal and crew both ways. On the evening flight out, we were served pre-departure drinks, pre-meal drinks, hot towels before dinner with more drinks, then a lovely brownie dersert, and then the flight crew rested for 45 min, before getting up again and walking the first cabin for another 45 min before landing. This person worked with the minimum tools the best she could. The day flight home, it was the same exact way, the only exception being no hot towels before serving a brunch. On both flights, they announced over the PA, that a 2nd beverage service would take place in the main cabin. They made this announcement so to give passengers who wanted to get up, the time to do so before the cart pulled into the isle. Very nice, courteous and professional all around. It is the individual person(s) who makes the experience, not an east vs. west criteria.

This east vs. west arguement is the result of people being angry and hurt and not knowing where to turn their feelings. It is management (if you want to anoit them that title) who decides how to best utilize aircraft and achive economies of scale. I am not too familiar with the labor pacts, nor do I care to be. But the one thing that EVERYONE needs to realize is that most contracts are only as good as the paper they are written on. Look how many times companies, not just US, have come back and "re-negotiated", "thrown-out" or filed BK, just to void contracts. This is what top management can and does do. This is why they are in the positions they are in. Realize it folks, fighting each other is not getting you anywhere.

On a side note, 1 question I do have is this; both 320's were built in 2005, and yet the interior's and seats were different. Return flight had moveable bottom cushion forward, when the back reclined, and it had plugs for audio, and US logo, and blue swoosh. Plane out had what I would deem an older cabin with gray front panels, with non-movebale bottom cushion, yet a height adjustable head rest, no audio jacks that I noticed, yet a pocket for water bottles, like the east Airbus seats. Why the difference

It's just worth mentioning that Jetsetter (and his other screennames) spend a considerable amount of time attempting to incite anti- 'east' sentiment here and elsewhere.

I just flew PHL-LAS rt. in the last week in first. It was west metal and crew both ways. On the evening flight out, we were served pre-departure drinks, pre-meal drinks, hot towels before dinner with more drinks, then a lovely brownie dersert, and then the flight crew rested for 45 min, before getting up again and walking the first cabin for another 45 min before landing. This person worked with the minimum tools the best she could. The day flight home, it was the same exact way, the only exception being no hot towels before serving a brunch. On both flights, they announced over the PA, that a 2nd beverage service would take place in the main cabin. They made this announcement so to give passengers who wanted to get up, the time to do so before the cart pulled into the isle. Very nice, courteous and professional all around. It is the individual person(s) who makes the experience, not an east vs. west criteria.

This east vs. west arguement is the result of people being angry and hurt and not knowing where to turn their feelings. It is management (if you want to anoit them that title) who decides how to best utilize aircraft and achive economies of scale. I am not too familiar with the labor pacts, nor do I care to be. But the one thing that EVERYONE needs to realize is that most contracts are only as good as the paper they are written on. Look how many times companies, not just US, have come back and "re-negotiated", "thrown-out" or filed BK, just to void contracts. This is what top management can and does do. This is why they are in the positions they are in. Realize it folks, fighting each other is not getting you anywhere.

On a side note, 1 question I do have is this; both 320's were built in 2005, and yet the interior's and seats were different. Return flight had moveable bottom cushion forward, when the back reclined, and it had plugs for audio, and US logo, and blue swoosh. Plane out had what I would deem an older cabin with gray front panels, with non-movebale bottom cushion, yet a height adjustable head rest, no audio jacks that I noticed, yet a pocket for water bottles, like the east Airbus seats. Why the difference

The East Crews do the SAME service as you got from the West Crew! So whats your point?

It's just worth mentioning that Jetsetter (and his other screennames) spend a considerable amount of time attempting to incite anti- 'east' sentiment here and elsewhere.

FLy- I have no other screenames, and do not have any issues with East crews. I have many friends that are East and do not incite any negativity towards my fellow peers. I think you have me mistaken for someone else.

My post reply had nothing to do with it being an East/West statement...I simply asked what the flight number was. Please get your facts clear before antagonizing a poster. Its sentiments like your post that creates the East vs West. We are all one airline and all need to just focus on the big picture...and provide a consistent service for our paying passengers.

The East Crews do the SAME service as you got from the West Crew! So whats your point?

That it doesnt matter if it is east or west, it is the people who make the best of what they have to work with; to provide the customer with the most professional experience they can.

If you bothered to read my entire post, you would have understood that I could care less about what former airline services my route and needs. I believe that as employees of either east or west, you should only care about what YOU do as a professional. Stop your east vs. west bickering, as it has not gotten you anywhere in 3 yrs, and do your job, or leave.

That it doesnt matter if it is east or west, it is the people who make the best of what they have to work with; to provide the customer with the most professional experience they can.

If you bothered to read my entire post, you would have understood that I could care less about what former airline services my route and needs. I believe that as employees of either east or west, you should only care about what YOU do as a professional. Stop your east vs. west bickering, as it has not gotten you anywhere in 3 yrs, and do your job, or leave.

If You would have Read My Post there was NO East vs West in it!! I simply stated that we on the east do the Same service as my colleagues on the west..And I'm sorry to say as long as the company still refers to this airline as East/West metal you will Always have East vs West! Do I like it? No! And I agree..It IS the people who make the service what it is!! And I do it THE COMPANY WAY!! So don't patronize me! You don't know me nor do you know how I work!! So Don't you DARE tell me to do my job or leave!!!!

Hey, everyone, the intent of this thread was not to start yet another East/West thing. I was simply wondering what the service standard was for transcon. I gather now that I happened to be on two flight where the service standard was nor adhered to, for whatever reason. As I said, I rarely fly US on transcon flights. Indeed, I rarely fly US mainline since most the places I travel are flown only by Express.

While I've not been on a trans-con since April (my last month of flying before the 3 month vol leave and then invol furlough), I used to always do at least 2 full beverages and walked thru with water 2 or 3 times.

The standard now, or so I've read, is 'Hydration Service' ever 15 minutes. About the same as the mandated cabin checks, so just bring along a couple of bottles in the ol' apron and off we go! :)

Funny how a furlough really prioritizes the complaint factors. The only thing I don't miss these days are the crazy folk. :)

I say pour away... don't give the can unless requested.... when we charged $2 for a can they did not want it... now they want a coke, h20, coffee, and juice...
screw that... give them a cup and say .... "pick one" ..... we will come back again w/ a coffee, h20 service... and another beverage .... three drinks in 4 hours will do!! :up:
BINGO! WE have a Winner. And I feel E-X-A-C-T-L-Y the same way. After listening to nasty comments, seething remarks........"If You don't ASK for the Can..........it isn't coming your way, NO WAY, No How and I don't care WHO you are or better Yet, Who You think you are and what You feel You are entitled to". People want to complain/p*ss and moan about everything that the airlines do and what they DON'T offer but I don't recall seeing a "PRIORITY" Line set up at ANY Airport dedicated to those "Valued" Customers that want to PAY MORE to justify GETTING MORE...........and UPGRADES don't count! Many people need a REALITY CHECK when it comes to air travel or are some of these clowns the same people that go to Morton's and order a steak and expect a bill from Ponderosa ?! Probably. The more I see, the more I shake my head and see 'CLUELESS' etched across their heads!

Many people need a REALITY CHECK when it comes to air travel or are some of these clowns the same people that go to Morton's and order a steak and expect a bill from Ponderosa ?! Probably. The more I see, the more I shake my head and see 'CLUELESS' etched across their heads!

But where else but on an airline can you pay Morton's prices.......and the guy sitting next to you eating the exact same steak has paid Ponderosa prices?

I don't expect anything if I buy a dirt cheap ticket. But if I'm paying through the nose, I expect far more than what US (or any legacy carrier) is giving me. And on that note, if I pay for wifi on a transcon, I expect a power port (or at least the option to only buy an hour's worth of wifi).

The airlines need to simplify their fare structures, and package services according to the fare paid. I know it will never happen, but a girl can wish, can't she?

While I've not been on a trans-con since April (my last month of flying before the 3 month vol leave and then invol furlough), I used to always do at least 2 full beverages and walked thru with water 2 or 3 times.

The standard now, or so I've read, is 'Hydration Service' ever 15 minutes. About the same as the mandated cabin checks, so just bring along a couple of bottles in the ol' apron and off we go! :)

Funny how a furlough really prioritizes the complaint factors. The only thing I don't miss these days are the crazy folk. :)
Now see this is why there is a problem.

the Correct Service according to policy and prooceedure and the manifest yes it is printed there too is as follows:

transcon service

push pull
cup of bev and a napkin........meal for purchase never more than 6 rows apart.

pick up

coffee service

pick up

arrival 1 and 1/2 hrs before landing

cup of bev and napkin

there are no hydration service........this is why its never the same most f/a need to read the p and p again

Now see this is why there is a problem.

the Correct Service according to policy and prooceedure and the manifest yes it is printed there too is as follows:

transcon service

push pull
cup of bev and a napkin........meal for purchase never more than 6 rows apart.

pick up

coffee service

pick up

arrival 1 and 1/2 hrs before landing

cup of bev and napkin

there are no hydration service........this is why its never the same most f/a need to read the p and p again

My eastbound transcon yesterday went closer to the script. Even had a second BOB run offering snacks. Too bad the "hydration service" is not standard. Kudos to the crews who do offer it.