Question re "St. Louis based" crew

AA_Customer

Jan 10, 2009
An FA on an AA LAX-JFK flight I was on referred to their "Los Angeles and St. Louis based flight crew". I'm assuming (maybe erroneously) that STL was only added as a crew base after the TWA takeover. I thought there weren't any TWA employees left, i.e. they had all been furloughed and none or virtually none had ever been recalled. In fact wasn't there a time limit on their recall and AA purposely waited until that time limit had expired before doing any hiring? I have no idea whether the FA was referring to some/all of the FAs as being STL based or she meant the pilots. Of course, for all I know, STL has been a crew base for AA for many years, even before the TWA takeover, but that doesn't seem likely. I mean STL was never a major city for AA until taking over TWA, was it? That's also assuming that crew bases have anything to do with how much AA traffic a city has. Perhaps another bogus assumption.

I should also mention that this is the first time I've ever heard an AA FA refer to STL as a crew base. It's almost always NY, DFW or LAX. At least when the FA actually names a city.

An FA on an AA LAX-JFK flight I was on referred to their "Los Angeles and St. Louis based flight crew". I'm assuming (maybe erroneously) that STL was only added as a crew base after the TWA takeover. I thought there weren't any TWA employees left, i.e. they had all been furloughed and none or virtually none had ever been recalled. In fact wasn't there a time limit on their recall and AA purposely waited until that time limit had expired before doing any hiring? I have no idea whether the FA was referring to some/all of the FAs as being STL based or she meant the pilots. Of course, for all I know, STL has been a crew base for AA for many years, even before the TWA takeover, but that doesn't seem likely. I mean STL was never a major city for AA until taking over TWA, was it? That's also assuming that crew bases have anything to do with how much AA traffic a city has. Perhaps another bogus assumption.

I should also mention that this is the first time I've ever heard an AA FA refer to STL as a crew base. It's almost always NY, DFW or LAX. At least when the FA actually names a city.

There is an active f/a base in STL. When all of the former TWA f/as were furloughed, AA metal f/as were trained as LLC f/as and flew the TWA metal. Eventually, the certificates were transfered and the AA/LLC f/as resumed being AA f/as. Clear as mud? There have been approximately 500 former TWA f/as recalled. They are based in DCS,BOS,ORD,LGA and yes, STL. There are many times you will have mixed crews. Pilots and f/as may be from different bases. Add to that, there may be an "extra" f/a from another base.

Yes, there is a St Louis base, it was a former TWA base.

Yes, all the TWA flight attendants were furloughed, but alot of them are back, not sure if any are based in STL but we have quite a few in Boston who commute from there.

MikeBOS

Yes, all the TWA flight attendants were furloughed, but alot of them are back...
More than 4,000 were furloughed. Around 800 were recalled. Most accepted. Some 600 of them are still flying. 1,100 or so are subject to recall. 1,200 fell off the list. Most of the rest retired. A few died.