Ranked last among the 10 biggest airlines

FREE PREVIEW

A Report Card On the Nation's Airlines
By Scott McCartney

Last year was a tough, sloppy one for U.S. air travel. Despite improving financial performance, carriers and their customers suffered declines in the quality of service, plagued by everything from more misplaced baggage to more late departures.

While US Airways Group Inc. had robust earnings, it also had some sizable problems in customer service, ranking last among the 10 biggest airlines in the rate at which bags were lost and the frequency of consumer complaints. The same could be said for Continental Airlines Inc. -- strong financial performance with lots of growth, but a black eye from ending up in ...

THE FULL WSJ.com ARTICLE IS ONLY AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS.
What is your problem? Do you not have anything else to do except bash USAirways ...You forget we can afford to buy or sell you and if you check the whole article you are in there as well..This just makes you look like an ass.

What is your problem? Do you not have anything else to do except bash USAirways ...You forget we can afford to buy or sell you and if you check the whole article you are in there as well..This just makes you look like an ass.

As someone previously mentioned, I believe Deltawatch works for USAirways so if thats the case, care to revise your post?
Anyway, from working in baggage a great many of the baggage problems come from interlining and accepting rerouted customers. When another carrier has a problem and sends us their customers, the bags dont very often make it with them. This causes the US numbers to look higher even though US never had the bags to begin with. This is one reason some carriers are reluctant to accept reroutes without baggage (but they are required to). Also, we have a great number of international bags that dont make it either from the conx in the European city, or not clearing TSA in the US and making it on the same flight as the customer. It would be interesting to see the breakdown of coding for delayed bags and if they broke out actual misplaced/delayed vs permanently lost bags.

Nothing as scientific as that, Tad. It's purely the number of reports filed with each airline per 1,000 passengers enplaned by that airline. Domestic passengers only, also.

Jim

A tad off topic, but I just flew DL from Europe, and did you know that their Westbound arrival service in COACH is our Westbound arrival service in ENVOY???? Same pizza, same brand (and I wont mention the COACH ice cream was our ENVOY ice cream, either.)!! Anyone in Tempe worried about this? No wonder the DL people are jumping for joy... :rolleyes:

:up: Thats what happens when you cant get good people to work for you.
as fast as they come in they leave, for lack of pay,benifits,and pensions, while managememt and the big shots take all the cream off the top..

Does this really surprise anyone? Yes, we employees work d4mn hard for our pax but our equipment, staffing, and tools to get the job done are just too limited .... I have no fairy dust and magic wand to wave and make everything better.....I can only smile, apologize and do what I can with my limited tools!

Just so it is apples to apples how many hub and spokes does SWA operate and how many connections does SWA fly? Do they transfer bags between them and other airlines?

They have a few hubs -- HOU, MDW, DAL, LAS, PHX.

They don't transfer a lot of bags between themselves and other airlines, but then neither does US (though, like any other legacy, proportionally more).

The fact of the matter is that the average passenger on US Airways is more likely to be missing a bag than the average passenger on Southwest. Passengers don't want to hear excuses that the PHL bag system is old or the RJ is weight restricted; they want their bags to appear on the claim belt when they arrive.

Latest posts

Back