Record-setting Day

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Record-Setting Day

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - We set an operational record for 2005 on Tuesday, with 93.2 percent of our flights leaving the gate within five minutes (S:05) of scheduled departure time.

Our hub and focus cities’ employees played a large role in this success, with Charlotte and Pittsburgh operating 100 percent of their departures at S:05. LaGuardia and Philadelphia reported 93.7 percent and 93.6 percent at S:05, respectively. Philadelphia’s performance in this area was the best day on record in 2005 for the station.

April 26 also was the fifth time this month that Charlotte had 100 percent S:05 departure performance for first bank flights, and it was the fourth time for Pittsburgh.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
Record-Setting Day

ARLINGTON (theHub.com) - We set an operational record for 2005 on Tuesday, with 93.2 percent of our flights leaving the gate within five minutes (S:05) of scheduled departure time.

Our hub and focus cities’ employees played a large role in this success, with Charlotte and Pittsburgh operating 100 percent of their departures at S:05. LaGuardia and Philadelphia reported 93.7 percent and 93.6 percent at S:05, respectively. Philadelphia’s performance in this area was the best day on record in 2005 for the station.

April 26 also was the fifth time this month that Charlotte had 100 percent S:05 departure performance for first bank flights, and it was the fourth time for Pittsburgh.

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="265298"][/post]​

And what was the luggage misconnect rate? The pax don't care about what time the airplane leaves . . . they care what time they get to the destination, and if their bags are with them. Statistics, again.

Better than the 11 and 22 from the day before, but still not great.
Yesterday's mainline systemwide operating statistics:

Actual M-T-D Goals
Fleet Launch--S:00 86.2% 73.9% 85.0%
Fleet Launch--S:05 94.5 86.0 95.0
Departures--S:00 minutes 65.5 57.6 65.0
Departures--S:05 minutes 76.6 72.2 79.0
Arrivals--S:14 minutes 78.2 80.1 84.0
Turn Performance--S:00 72.8 61.4 68.0
Turn Performance--S:05 85.6 78.4 82.0
Completion (departures) 99.2 98.8 99.0

April 25 mainline PAWOB* Actual M-T-D Goals
7.9 8.4 3.0

Mainline bookings: 124,000 today and 125,000 tomorrow.
Yesterday's Express systemwide operating statistics:

Actual M-T-D Goals
Departures--S:00 minutes 66.5% 66.6% 70.0%
Departures--S:05 minutes 70.5 71.5 85.0
Arrivals--S:14 minutes 71.3 74.5 85.0
Completion (departures) 97.1 97.7 97.5

April 25 Express PAWOB* Actual M-T-D Goals
14.5 15.1 3.0

Express bookings: 54,000 today and 54,000 tomorrow.

*Passengers Arriving w/o Baggage per 1,000 passengers

PAWOBs are still alramingly high. This crap has to stop...tens of thousands of dollars are going out the door each day in baggage delivery costs and interim expenses. It is getting so old sitting in the BSO and having to take 50-70 deals off almost every inbound PHL flight. This has been going on for years, yet no one anywhere seems to give a flying f%&!*. I've noticed an alarming increase in misconnect intl bags from CLT as well, I pray that this nonsense isn't going to start there now too. I know that we are short staffed everywhere so its not the front line's fault, but why is it that management focuses only on the OTP/fleet launch stats but ignores the PAWOB problem and the whole express side of the operation?

It makes me sick to think of the paycuts that we have taken, yet this company is more of a circus than ever...$2 cross country fares, thousands paid to vendors every day to deliver bags, an express operation that doesn't bother to update FLIFOs (ahem! MESA ahem!), filthy planes, crews and vendors that can't be bothered to hustle to get a/c out on time and then I get crap from the CSM for delays, etc.... What bugs me is that for every good day it seems like we have ten bad ones.

On time departure is meaningless to customers if they don't get their bags. It's more important to make sure all the bags get loaded. The recent directives about buttoning up and pushing back with or without bags just to make on time numbers is misguided at best, and VERY expensive at worst.

Does anyone know the average cost of delivering PAWOB bags? How much could be saved if all the bags WERE loaded properly?????? Now there's an opportunity.

Makes one wonder......

Again, I don't think U really cares about TODAY.

If your goal is to look good for an acquisition and NEW management and you're short staffed AND you're training new folk, I think it makes sense not to make one problem (bags) into two problems (bags and a deteriorating late problem). It seems that the poor habit of not leaving on-time is harder to fix, then pawobs, especially when the pawobs problem is more likely fixed by hiring and schedule adjustments: Items that are going to happen in the 'not so distant' future or there will be no U anyway.

hharotz said:
PAWOBs are still alramingly high. This crap has to stop...tens of thousands of dollars are going out the door each day in baggage delivery costs and interim expenses.
[post="265322"][/post]​

We should adopt Airtrans policy, they delivery late luggage via the local airport delivery service within a 30 mile radius of airport. They have negotiated a huge discount rate with FedEx for all deliveries outside the radius. FedEx deliveries go out twice a day and are made within 24 hours. This could cut our delivery cost in half.

The company we have a contract with in TPA was started by our former Ramp Manager. He is the only one we can use to deliver bags except in extreme cases and he is more expensive in most cases than the companies we used before. Not sure why we havent voided his contract in bankruptcy. He's probably been able to buy a new house on the water and a couple new cars just since he quit US a couple years ago.

deltawatch said:
We should adopt Airtrans policy, they delivery late luggage via the local airport delivery service within a 30 mile radius of airport. They have negotiated a huge discount rate with FedEx for all deliveries outside the radius. FedEx deliveries go out twice a day and are made within 24 hours. This could cut our delivery cost in half.
[post="265451"][/post]​

How about getting rid of the incompetent execs and managers and get someone in there that can fix the system and ensure bags and pax are on the same airplanes???

This is not rocket science.

whlinder said:
I've seen IATA press releases where they claim the average cost of a late arriving bag is $100 per bag.
[post="265492"][/post]​

Wow & we can't get help on Sat. nights to make sure we get the bags from all the Island flights. I guess they want to keep on paying. WHOEVER DOES THE STAFFING WAKE UP!