Rumor: Chautauqua To Buy Midatlantic

According to my sources (to paraphrase a certain Airbus Captain) the Teamsters have approached the Chautauqua pilot negotiators to see if they would be interested in entering into a Jets-for-jobs agreement with their new EMB170 fleet type in order to allow Chautauqua to operate that type on behalf of US Airways.

Jets-for-jobs at Chautauqua on the E-170 would be 50/50 rather than the 100% which was available to furloughed pilots when the type was exclusively flown by MidAtlantic.

Apparently one of the negotiators asked "Why dont we just buy MidAtlantic?" to which Chautauqua management replied "That is not entirely out of the question."

It seems that Chautauqua/Republic/Wexford Management is at least considering the possibility of acquiring MidAtlantic.

Also, for those who are not aware, Chautauqua currently has pilots training at the US Airways flight training facility for the EMB-170 which, as of right now, will be flown as a part of their new United codeshare.

Mid-Atlantic is NOT a seperate company it operates off of US Airways MAINLINE certificate.

Tiresome. "Chautauquas buying MidAtlantic", "Mesa's buying MidAtlantic" "JetBlue's buying MidAtlantic".

If MidAtlantic ever splits off from US Airways to be an actual airline with a certificate then maybe. But even then I doubt US would be interested in selling what will likely become the backbone of the US Airways sytem.

You hear these rumours alot from Express pilots who like the look of the E170 and fancy themselves flying it. Next we'll hear that Shuttle America will take over Airbus 330 operations.

Light Years,

I'm an Express pilot and sure as hell don't "fancy myself flying it." All I want is a job, I could care less if I'm flying a jet or prop or flipping burgers at the BK. According to the contracts and pay rates as of today I would take a substantial paycut if I flow through to MidAtlantic, oh and by the way I'm only an FO right now.

Do I fancy myself flying at MidAtlantic? No. I can't afford to go work there.

PropPiedmont said:
Light Years,

I'm an Express pilot and sure as hell don't "fancy myself flying it." All I want is a job, I could care less if I'm flying a jet or prop or flipping burgers at the BK. According to the contracts and pay rates as of today I would take a substantial paycut if I flow through to MidAtlantic, oh and by the way I'm only an FO right now.

Do I fancy myself flying at MidAtlantic? No. I can't afford to go work there.
PropPiedmont-

I understand that sad reality. I was alluding to the fact that most of these rumours that involve contract carriers buying parts of Airways seem to come from the crew rooms of the contract carriers. I'm still waiting for:

*Mesa to buy PSA, ALG, and PDT, and the 737s. And what the heck, throw in the Shuttle, which they will allegedly operate by themselves, as a seperate company, with regional jets. :lol:

*FedEX to buy the 737s. B)

*Chautauqua and/or JetBlue to buy the MidAtlantic, which doesnt have an operating certificate or exist as anything but a division of US Airways (the actual airline) for no other reason than that they have the same plane. :ph34r:

*Shuttle America to buy 90 seat jets, in three classes no less, to fly from Hanscom Field in Boston to Trenton New Jersey. :eek:

*MidAtlantic not ever starting up, or the aircraft ever being certified. :rolleyes:

*US Airways parking its widebody fleet, inexplicably getting rid of its transatlantic operations leaving only its suffering domestic ops. <_<

These are all actual things people go around spouting as fact, like little mini-Chips. :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Light Years said:
Next we'll hear that Shuttle America will take over Airbus 330 operations.
hey, thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning and a laugh in the air!!!
thank god for humorous people!!!
pjn

Thank you for acknowledging the speculation upfront in the thread title. That was a refreshing change on this board.

Rumors are just that -- rumors. But if CHQ were to buy Midatlantic (or its assets), they wouldn't need a certificate -- they're already going to be operating the EMB 170 anyway. Anyway, it doesn't seem that Wexford currently has any intention of purchasing MAA. I'm sure, though, that if the opportunity presented itself at the richt price, they might buy.

Given the recent uncertainty regarding UAIR's finances, it doesn't seem unreasonable that CHQ might end up taking some of US's EMB 170 deliveries and operating them on US's behalf, if the labor contracts were to permit it.

it doesn't seem unreasonable that CHQ might end up taking some of US's EMB 170 deliveries and operating them on US's behalf, if the labor contracts were to permit it.

LOA 91 strike a bell?

UPDATE - Brazil's BNDES to finance $220.8 mln Embraer deal

SAO PAULO, Brazil, June 2 (Reuters) - Brazil's state-run BNDES development bank on Wednesday said it had arranged $220.8 million in financing for General Electric Co.'s (NYSE:GE - News) Capital Aviation Services (GECAS) to buy 10 of Embraer's (Sao Paolo:EMBR4.SA - News; NYSE:ERJ - News) 78-seat EMBRAER 170 aircraft.

press spokesman for the National Economic and Social Development Bank (BNDES) said the 10 planes were due to be delivered to Alitalia (Milan:AZPIa.MI - News), US Airways (NasdaqNM:UAIR - News), and Poland's state carrier LOT .

In mid-April, BNDES President Carlos Lessa said the bank's financing for sales by Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica (Embraer), the world's fourth-largest manufacturer of commercial aircraft, should exceed $1.4 billion in 2004.

The news was well received by investors after Embraer blamed delays in BNDES financing for hurting its bottom line last year. Embraer competes with Canada's Bombardier Inc. (Toronto:BBDa.TO - News) in the small to medium-sized jet market.

Last year, Lessa strained the long-running relationship between the bank and the aircraft manufacturer, which is one of Brazil's biggest exporters, by saying Embraer should seek alternative sources of financing than the government bank. The BNDES is the company's main source of financing.

But on Wednesday he compared the relationship between Embraer and the BNDES to an old married couple.

"We may fight but we're still holding hands," he told a hearing at the lower house of Congress in Brasilia.

He added that the loans extended on the condition that Embraer use more locally-made parts in its airplanes.

Separately, Embraer announced Wednesday it had delivered three ERJ-145 planes to Mexican airline Aerolitoral. Embraer only receives money for the planes once it delivers them.

Embraer stock, which gained 5.3 percent on Tuesday, closed 1.69 percent firmer at 21.05 reais. The country's benchmark Bovespa (Sao Paolo:^BVSP - News) stock index ended 1.1 percent in the black. (Additional reporting by Patricia Duarte in Brasilia)