Rumours Persist Top Reservation Director Making

skyflyr69 said:
AMR has been doing it for quite some time and they have no problem. i like it, its fast and efficient. :up:
See my post on the thread, "US Airways wants more concessions from unions"...

Yes AMR has them and they are fast and more efficient as long as there are no problems such as...

1. Seat dupes.
2. Minor children/people with broken legs/ wheelchair passengers in exit rows.
3. The limited memory of the gate reader doesn't jam.

Also, the gate reader can not check with the lead flight attendant--who can not leave the a/c once boarding has begun--regarding catering issues and carry-on luggage stowage. The gate reader can not give last minute upgrades to FFs or check them in.

AMR found that gate readers do make boarding faster and more efficient. However, they do not significantly reduce the need for human beings at the gate.

My 2 cents on the res gossip....I do not believe that either PIT or INT will be closing anytime soon. Of course this will be dicatated in what the company does as it trys to once again wrangle concessions. Would not be surprised to see another res office open up and who knows...maybe it will be in 'Bama!!!!!

Reservation Agent said:
You still didn't answer the question...

The question isn't who else has it...

The question is...if it REPLACES agents rather than assists them...It can't do much more than just count tickets...

How can the machine help people with the "other" customer service issues handled at the podium like:assist pax with disabilitys, help with unacompanied minors, rebook pax with cancelled & delayed flights.....("I'm sorry sir, you'll have to go back to the ticket counter wait in line with 30 other people...get rebooked and wait in line & again thru security..Sorry about your meeting".).........Also, help give flight information, pax with strollers, have their next flight arrive 20 minutes early, upgrades, standbys, overbooking issues, etc....lol

It must be a wonderful robot to do those things as well...especially with the airline's pledge to it's "Customer Commitments"....
because the podium agent wont be processing tickets collected at the door the podium agent will be able to assist pax with disabilities and change seat and other customer service stuff...
Thats why gate readers would be a great advantage because thats the main purpose of it..the "oning process"

understand now

madders said:
because the podium agent wont be processing tickets collected at the door the podium agent will be able to assist pax with disabilities and change seat and other customer service stuff...
The info said they are doing away with the podiums, but moving the computers to the door, so does that mean they are doing away with "the podium agents" as well, or just repositioning them to the door? If they are just moving them to the area at the door, where are the 200 FTE agents running around the system as extras? We've ONLY had 2 agents per flight (if you are lucky) for some time now. Are there cities that are currently staffed with 3 agents per flight? Something doesnt add up with regards to there being more cuts unless this is the case somewhere in the system.
I understand that no one will have to be oning tickets, but thats currently being done (in my station) by the podium agent or the boarding agent if the podium agent is in a deal or has a line. We dont often have the luxury of a 3rd person to help when we are busy.

tadjr said:
The info said they are doing away with the podiums, but moving the computers to the door, so does that mean they are doing away with "the podium agents" as well, or just repositioning them to the door? If they are just moving them to the area at the door, where are the 200 FTE agents running around the system as extras? We've ONLY had 2 agents per flight (if you are lucky) for some time now. Are there cities that are currently staffed with 3 agents per flight? Something doesnt add up with regards to there being more cuts unless this is the case somewhere in the system.
I understand that no one will have to be oning tickets, but thats currently being done (in my station) by the podium agent or the boarding agent if the podium agent is in a deal or has a line. We dont often have the luxury of a 3rd person to help when we are busy.
I have actually seen a few cities where there are 3 agents per flight, depending on time of day:
MSY---Always 4-5 agents in the gate area.
RDU---3 agents per flight if early AM or last flt of night, otherwise 2
MCI---3 agents per mainline flt
DCA---3 agents per mainline flt
BOS---3 agents per mainline flt ex dca/lga

pitguy said:
I know you are not known to be honest, but I hope you are correct on this.
First, please tell me when I have been dishonest. Secondly, if you had anything but rocks in your head you would have realized that it was a stupid internal rumor that was baseless and you would have gotten the joke.

What the hell did I do to piss you off? My posts have been honest or based on fact and if ever I was wrong, I corrected myself. I wish you the worst of luck too Pitguy. (If you are from PIT)

If you knew anything anything about me, you would know that I don't spread rumors needlessly and most of my posts have something to do with my personal life. SO .................................. until you walk in my shoes - my man - do not call me a liar.

youngblood said:
First, please tell me when I have been dishonest. Secondly, if you had anything but rocks in your head you would have realized that it was a stupid internal rumor that was baseless and you would have gotten the joke.

What the hell did I do to piss you off? My posts have been honest or based on fact and if ever I was wrong, I corrected myself. I wish you the worst of luck too Pitguy. (If you are from PIT)

If you knew anything anything about me, you would know that I don't spread rumors needlessly and most of my posts have something to do with my personal life. SO .................................. until you walk in my shoes - my man - do not call me a liar.
Youngblood, what is with the personal attacks? I just read your post directed to me on another thread-literally threatening me. And then I go to this thread and you are name calling, and telling Pit guy you wish him the worst luck etc etc. Why don't you limit your posts to questions and comments. Then, maybe your fellow posters would not be such a THREAT to you. There is a better way. You come across ad defensive and hostile and mean-spirited.

4merresrat,

If you would have read the quote in my post to pitguy, you would have realized that his original post was a direct attack at me. I responded. Let me clarify one thing. Pitguy thought I was someone else because I have a similar avatar. It was a simple mistake and there are no hard feelings.

You on the other hand pretty much said I was a liar on the other thread. My response was defensive because when I say I work with educated people, I mean every damn word of it. I am sick and damn tired of people trying to imply that CS agents are uneducated, worthless morons - which is the point that came across in your post. So, yes, in response I was defensive and mean spirited. No one calls me a liar or implies I am anything less than intelligent without getting me riled. It was the wrong button to push. As far as the threat to make you look silly, I meant making you look silly by proving you wrong.

90% of the time I am a fun-loving, easy-going, decent person. YOu just happened say the wrong thing on the wrong day. Perhaps, I took it the wrong way. If I did, then I am sorry. If I didn't, then I am not.

Pitguy,

No hard feelings. I understand the confusion. I will change the avatar this minute so there is no confusion. Please accept my apologies. I wish you all the luck and good fortune in the world.

P.S. You and I are fellow PIT employees. We have to stick together, right?
Take care!

Youngblood,
Well, I apologize too. No hard feelings. Sometimes it is easy to type something off in haste. I didn't mean to insult anyone. Emotions are running high at this time and I realize trading barbs back and forth is counterproductive, but thanks for clearing it up!

Latest posts