Dave Is Not The Problem

madders

Senior
Nov 23, 2003
www.bookutravel.com
Poor poor Dave, Why all the whiners love to hate poor ole Dave.
Its not his fault Usairways in a bind.....
Dave has cut Usairways losses from 700+ million to 100 million that is a big improvement.
Yeh unfortunately we the workers on the frontlline have to make the biggest sacrifice but we should be smart enough to see whats going on and make a decision that better us and our colleauges.

ALPA AFA CWA IAM all have seat on the board of director for Usairways so why dont you tell your union to force management to make sacrifices and to get rid of the excessive VPs and work on a minimum like all of us have to do..

Flight attendands now work at the minimum regulated by faa , and ATO employees all over the system will say they are understaffed at all locations...
So do not just blame Dave ...blame your own unions also...

The truth is some of us make a lot of money for more than what the employees at jetblue and southwest makes ($10/hr )..Usairways biggest cost is salaries
So while we all whine that Dave is no good take a look in the mirror and see what the real problem is...

For you making more that $15/hr working at the airport there is no where you can make that money in any job you do unless you start your own company..so we should be asking ourselves what we can do to better our company ..

Usairways does have a chance to make it....but it will take all of us coming together to do so...and all you bitter people who still working if you do not like it..quit there is a lot of furloughed employees who wants to come back .

Maybe you forgot that the BOD seats occupied by the unions are a FARCE. Bronner controls the BOD with 8 seats to the union groups 7. So vote and object all you want.....you lose regardless if Bronner wants to do so.

You are not even close when you say it's not Dave's fault. BALONEY!! :down:

Just what has he done to change the company besides shrinking it....and BTW, whenever you reduce ASM's by parking aircraft you proportionally increase the CSM's or is it just some fuzzy math that I do not understand?? So why the heck did we park all those seats again?? Splain it to me Lutzy :lol:

You cannot shrink a company into profitability......period. However you can shrink a company into an easy takeover target like we are now. That's why more concessions are needed......it's lipstick for the pig!! Sprucing it up for a fire sale. One way or another this place will be bought or sold in large or small portions. My bet would be to keep watch on Johnny O and sir Richard respectively.

E-TRONS said:
That's why more concessions are needed......it's lipstick for the pig!! Sprucing it up for a fire sale.
Not quite. They're trying to cut costs to buy time. I can't imagine the employees going with the assets.

madders,

I hate to rain some facts on your parade, but....

"Dave has cut Usairways losses from 700+ million to 100 million that is a big improvement."

Could it be that over $1 Billion in employee concessions had something to do with that?

"ALPA AFA CWA IAM all have seat on the board of director for Usairways so why dont you tell your union to force management to make sacrifices and to get rid of the excessive VPs and work on a minimum like all of us have to do.."

RSA controls the BOD since they appoint the majority of members, not the unions.

"Flight attendands now work at the minimum regulated by faa"

Since when are F/A's regulated by the FAA, unless you mean minimum onboard complement. If so, you can't reduce that.

"ATO employees all over the system will say they are understaffed at all locations"

And just how is this the union's fault?

"what the employees at jetblue and southwest makes ($10/hr )"

(1) not all JetBlue or Southwest employees make $10 per hour and (2) who was it that downsized this airline so much that almost all employees are at top of scale? I know, those unions again!!

"Usairways biggest cost is salaries "

As is the case at JetBlue, Southwest, AirTran, America West, ATA, Delta, American, Continental, Northwest, United, etc.

"take a look in the mirror and see what the real problem is"

Maybe that's what you see when you look in the mirror, but many disagree.

"For you making more that $15/hr working at the airport there is no where you can make that money in any job you do"

I'm sorry if you think so little of your talents, but many will again disagree.

"there is a lot of furloughed employees who wants to come back"

But how many want to come back to an $8 to $10 per hour job????

Jim

MWEISS: You just never know what could come about. Read my post on Branson. That's where this thought process began.

There is a first time for everything.......... :huh:

Finally a poster who tells it like it is. KUDOS to you madders. I could not agree with you more.

I really think we can make it and I hope the bitter employees posting on this board day after day do not stand in the way of the rest of us who are willing to do more to make our airline survive.

And to all you posters who say you have nothing more to give. What you are saying is that you can get a better paying job if you have to take another cut. Well then go get that job now. Why are you waiting ?

E-TRONS said:
MWEISS: You just never know what could come about. Read my post on Branson.
Yeah, I've been thinking about that for the past week as well. IIRC, I was the first to suggest that was in the works.

But, even so, there's a funny balancing act going on. VirginUSA can't open up overnight, and we don't know how far along they really are. In the meantime, US has to keep the planes flying.

Meanwhile, many US competitors are licking their chops at the prospects of being able to buy those assets at firesale prices. Again, gotta keep the planes moving to keep the wolves on the other side of the door.

Hence why I'm suggesting that the demand for concessions is an attempt to buy time.

Hey TOTOBIRD:

Not to worry.....I voted NO twice before but I promise you I will Vote YES to concessions this time so you and the likes get the pay that you all deserve :down:

Now fly away!!

I think that folks like madders and totobird are afraid that the "bitter employees" posting here represent the majority and the only way for their side to win is to somehow convince the "bitter employees" to go ahead and leave.

Jim

Well, I for one am NOT a Bitter Employee. I was very Proud to be hired on with this Company. What I am is sad, stressed and a somewhat angry. Angry and bitterness are two different things. I for one am not leaving til I SAY SO....or at least when Dave Says So............ :unsure:

i am not a bitter employee just an employee that is struggling to raise my special needs son at 21 months old and making only 10.93 an hr with a top pay out at 13.00 an hr in what is now an expressed mainline city with probably a lot more cities to be outsourced to the "wonderful" mainline express at the express wages

...I don't think most of US are bitter. Most of us are angry/hurt/confused/scared becaused what we have already given (which is a large amount) hasn't been properly managed/used to salvage US. We were led to believe TWICE that....this is what we need to make us profitable again.
...I think most of US feel that we can no longer believe what we are told. Most feel that with the management we have, they will only come to us not only a 3rd time, but probably a 4th and 5th if more concessions are agreed to now. There has to be a stopping place somewhere. Some apparently feel the place and time (at least with this management team) is now.
...This management team just does not have the trust of most employees. Many feel the company is going down the tubes regardless of what they give...so why give more? The choice is do we go down the tube in 1-5 months....or give more and then go down the tube in say 1 year because of continued lack of leadership? Either way, it's sad. There are a lot of good folk who work for this company. :(
Best to all.

To the chagrin of all the haters, Dave really isn't the problem at US Airways.

The bottom line is that the airline is simply too senior-heavy to be a viable enterprise in its current form. W&G tried to solve the problem by merging US into a larger (and more junior-heavy) airline. Upon his arrival at US, Siegel made a valiant effort to try to cut costs, but luck wasn't on his side, as the bankruptcy ended up eliminating alot of the JUNIOR employees (instead of the primarily senior folks who left after CO, HP, and UA filed for BK). So Siegel is stuck with the most senior workforce in the industry, with a sizeable percentage (probably a majority) of employees automatically topping out under any reasonable compensation plan.

It is for this reason that comparisons with WN fall short. Southwest is in continual growth, maintaining low costs not so much through productivity but rather by keeping the majority of its workforce at the low end of the payscale. Because so much of US' workforce is senior, the airline could exactly match WN's payscales and would STILL have higher labor costs.

Therefore, from a labor standpoint, the best chances for long-term employment are an eventual merger or sale to another airline. US' employees will continue to become increasingly senior and expensive, compounding the airline's financial problems. A merger with a more "junior" carrier will allow for a more sustainable labor cost structure.