Safety Campaign at US AIRWAYS

I have never promoted anything unsafe.

People can work by the rules and by the book, but need to be prepared for the response.

UAL and NWA's AMT's worked by the book and the company proved to the courts it was a slowdown and a TRO was taken out and people were disciplined over it as the data proved a spike in delays caused by the workers.

Funny thing .. when management has ever approach me and asked what I was doing .. I said I was working within the safety guidelines set by
USairways.. heres the kicker.. when you ask management if " are you asking me to not work safe " they put there heads down and walk away.. You see if something happens then its put on them .. God forbid if they are held accountable..

so Tim I understand where your coming from and I WILL WORK WITHIN THE SAFETY STRUCTURE THE COMPANY AND UNION HAVE IN PLACE !!!!!!

Work safe, work to the book, tool drops and any such childish games are what will cause the company to loose more revenue and respect for the workers. If you haven’t been working to the book, working safe yesterday, and today then you need to be eliminated from the pool. If you cut FAR145/121(AOP/SOP/etc..) yesterday but ‘feel’ it’s important today but not yesterday, then I’m all for hanging. Work to the CBA and regulations. Do a ‘wild cat’ if you are so concerned but don’t play these foolish and childish games.

JMHO,
B) UT

"WE" WILL WORK WITHIN THE SAFETY STRUCTURE THE COMPANY AND UNION HAVE IN PLACE !!!!!! "HAPPY HOLIDAY'S"
PHX AZ, Is Backing a Time Structure,when Every Group is On BD.
We Will Be there for OUR Brother's & Sister's.
In SOLIDARITY, UNION Or Lack Of The Union's.
Mr E. :up:

Funny thing .. when management has ever approach me and asked what I was doing .. I said I was working within the safety guidelines set by
USairways.. heres the kicker.. when you ask management if " are you asking me to not work safe " they put there heads down and walk away.. You see if something happens then its put on them .. God forbid if they are held accountable..

so Tim I understand where your coming from and I WILL WORK WITHIN THE SAFETY STRUCTURE THE COMPANY AND UNION HAVE IN PLACE !!!!!!

To be clear you understand my position, I'm not telling anyone to work 'by the book'. Working by the book isn't in the definition of what Im saying. If we were at the end of a cooling off then working by the book may be permissible, but not now. Not even telling anyone to go out of their way in the name of safety.
I'm saying IMO, safety is being compromised more than I would have ever guessed. Safety alerts dot the walls like wallpaper. It's like nobody cares about safety and there ought to be more respect for safety. Dignity on the job starts with safety. Check out all your safety alerts at your station, read them, follow them. Your company puts them up and tells you how much money it cost the company. Be aware of those alerts.
Workers can stay professional and follow the company's currently posted safety alerts without going by the book or doing a slowdown. The problem isn't that people need to work safer, but that many are working unsafe. I'm just pointing to the safety alerts. For those who work unsafe, it reflects a lack of respect for human dignity and worth. If we can limit those in the 35,000 that are working unsafe, then there will be more respect for eachother and then perhaps more unity in the masses.

At any rate, keep signing those IBEW cards CLT. The IBEW has actually shown a committment and most of the entire IBT organizing committee is now helping the IBEW, including me. The alternative is to do nothing and bend over with more IAM treason. I received word that the company is against this IBEW campaign and actually ran off the IBEW organizers in CLT the other day. Not surprisingly, two IAM loyalist tipped management off. Remember, Canale is Parker's boy. He tried to give Parker the best transition agreement Parker ever saw, and he's up to it again.

regards

UAL and NWA's AMT's worked by the book and the company proved to the courts it was a slowdown and a TRO was taken out and people were disciplined over it as the data proved a spike in delays caused by the workers.

That doesn't even pass a smell test.

A TRO would only be taken out if they could prove a slowdown above and beyond delays due to working by the book. Was the ruling appealed?

Smell this:

United Gets Order Against Its Mechanics
By LAURENCE ZUCKERMAN
Published: November 18, 2000
A federal judge issued a temporary restraining order yesterday directing mechanics at United Airlines to stop engaging in what the airline asserted was an orchestrated campaign that had forced it to cancel scores of flights in recent days.

United States District Court Judge William J. Hibbler of the Northern District of Illinois denied a request by the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers to wait until next week before taking action.

''This is a situation in which the public is greatly impacted,'' he said. ''To delay until Tuesday would not be in the public interest.'' His order will remain in effect until a hearing on Dec. 13.

United went to court hoping to head off a major disruption before the Thanksgiving holiday period, which is the busiest travel week of the year. The airline was forced to cancel more than 20,000 flights last summer after many of its pilots refused to fly overtime.

United has since become a trend setter for the airline industry. A recent settlement with its pilots made them the highest paid in the industry, leading to demands for similar raises from its machinists and flight attendants as well as workers at rival airlines.

Yesterday, United led the way again, initiating the single biggest fare increase in recent memory, according to Samuel C. Buttrick, an airline analyst at UBS Warburg in New York.

The airline raised last-minute walk-up fares $50 on one-way flights of less than 1,500 miles and $100 on flights more than 1,500 miles. The increases apply to 21,000 routes in the continental United States and Alaska.

Continental Airlines, American Airlines and Trans World Airlines matched United's fare but Delta Air Lines proposed more modest increases. Analysts said they would have to wait until Sunday night before they could be sure that all the major carriers had agreed to raise fares.

United and the machinists union have been negotiating a contract for the last year. United has said that it expects to make the mechanics, like its pilots, the highest paid in the industry but that the two sides remain far apart on wages, job security and retirement.

The airline said that maintenance-related flight cancellations had soared far above normal levels in recent days.

United canceled at least 50 flights yesterday, including 44 for maintenance operations. So far this month, it has canceled an average of 56 flights a day because of mechanical reasons, more than double the normal rate.

The mechanics strongly denied that they were involved in any concerted action against the airline and threatened to file their own lawsuit against United for violating their contract.

''Regardless of how United characterizes how we do our jobs, there is no concerted activity or slowdown by I.A.M. members,'' said Frank Larkin, a spokesman for the machinists. ''United needs to realize that this situation can only be resolved at the bargaining table.''

United's request for a restraining order came only hours after the airline announced that it would give all 45,000 members of the International Association of Machinists two weeks' wages in mid-December as an advance against the wage increases they would receive after a new contract was ironed out.

In addition to United's 15,000 mechanics, the I.A.M. also represents 30,000 baggage handlers, customer service agents and other workers at the airline.

United said that the payments were a separate matter and that it went to court to protect the interests of its customers whose travel plans were being disrupted.

''It is not acceptable to have people turn up at the airport and have flights canceled at the last minute because of an illegal job action,'' said Andy Plews, a United spokesman.

Appealing to the courts was a risky move by United's managers because the UAL Corporation, its parent company, is 55 percent owned by the pilots and machinists, making it the biggest employee-owned company in the world. A representative from each union sits on the company's board. Labor also had a strong voice in choosing James E. Goodwin, UAL's chairman and chief executive.

UAL also risks souring its relationship with the machinists further. Last year, a federal judge ordered pilots at American Airlines to return to work after hundreds of them called in sick as a protest, forcing the airline to cancel more than 6,600 flights during the Presidents' Day holiday. The judge also ordered the pilots union to pay American $45.5 million in damages, which has deepened the antipathy between many pilots and the airline.

United declined to say why it raised fares yesterday. But it is no secret that rising fuel prices and higher labor costs related to its new pilots' contract have significantly raised the airline's costs. Both factors led United to post a loss in the third quarter and predict a loss for the fourth quarter.

Mr. Buttrick estimated last month that the generous wage increase the airline recently gave to its pilots plus the one it is expected to give the machinists and other workers would cost the airline an additional $650 million to $700 million.

United has been trying to rebound from a disastrous summer when its on-time performance slid to 40 percent -- by far the lowest in the industry. The airline now estimates that the disruption cost it $450 million to $500 million in lost revenue.

Tensions with the machinists rose at the end of the summer after United ordered mandatory overtime and disciplined some mechanics for what it said were unnecessary absences and increases in maintenance-related flight cancellations.

The airline backed down after talks with union leaders but the situation boiled over again last week. Andrew Studdert, United's chief operating officer, sent a letter to the union accusing it of mounting an illegal job action and threatening to sue.

The union denied the accusation. It even posted a message on its Web site Wednesday urging members not to take any wildcat actions. ''Do not play into the company's hand,'' the message said. ''Do not make it easy for them to discipline or discharge. Please have patience. Perform your duties as the expert mechanics and utility employees you all are.''

Mr. Larkin, the union spokesman, said that if United intended to bring its dispute with the union into court, the union would respond in kind. He cited United's calls for mandatory overtime to cover basic personnel shortages.

''For United to say there is an emergency when there is more work than manpower is a complete rewriting of the agreement,'' he said.

Mr. Larkin also dismissed United's offer to advance union members some of the wage increases that will come after a new contract is signed.

''It's a nice gesture,'' Mr. Larkin said. ''They are just digging into the wrong pocket to make it. It's our money. If they want to make a holiday gesture, it would be nice if they made it from some of their profits.''

Northwest Gets Order to Avert Holiday Slowdown
Published: November 21, 2000
Northwest Airlines Corp., the No. 4 U.S. carrier, won a temporary restraining order to keep its mechanics from disrupting flights during the busy Thanksgiving travel season, the company said.

Northwest said in a statement that the company regretted having to resort to court action, but said that there was ''clear evidence'' of a job slowdown organized by leaders of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, which is negotiating a new contract on behalf of the airline's mechanics.

U.S. District Judge David Doty granted Northwest's request for the restraining order at a hearing in Minneapolis tonight.

The alleged slowdown has resulted in ''substantially higher flight delays and cancellations,'' the airline said, without providing figures.

The union was not immediately available to comment. Northwest and the union, which represents about 9,000 mechanics, cleaners and other workers, have been in contract talks since October 1999 and sought mediation in February. The National Mediation Board recessed the talks on Nov. 2, asking the two sides to re-evaluate their positions, and has asked union representatives to meet with the full board on Nov. 27.

On Nov. 3, Northwest sent a letter to all its employees calling the workers' positions on pay, pension and insurance ''wildly unrealistic.'' The airline said the union's pay proposal amounted to an immediate 114 percent raise, lifting the average mechanic's wages to $56.30 an hour, or $117,000 a year.

The proposal would cost the airline $1.1 billion in the first year and $3.5 billion for the full three-year term, Northwest said. The airline earned $300 million last year on sales of $10.3 billion. Airlines increasingly are turning to the courts to stop what the companies see as disruptive labor actions, saying that the actions hurt consumers. Northwest's action follows a similar request by UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, which won a temporary restraining order against its mechanics last Friday.

Smell this:

Flop sweat.

Perhaps the mechs were indeed engaging in a slowdown. Following "the book" could hardly be cause for punishment.

I did note the judge ruled on assertions with no proof. Is the judge ruling on "the book"? Is the judge now making rules on how maintenance is to be done? What is the restraining order ordering, not to follow "the book"? to take unsafe shortcuts?

This would seem to be relatively easy on appeal. There was followup action, right?

Don't let the New York Times facts get in the way.

They were workng by the book, and the data showed more delays and cancellations, is why the Judge granted the TROs.

Don't let the New York Times facts get in the way.

They were workng by the book, and the data showed more delays and cancellations, is why the Judge granted the TROs.
700, every winter holiday period it seemed your company was blaming workers instead of fixing problems. The googling of 'usairways baggage problems philadelphia' is riddled with garbage from management. Just last Christmas or the one before, management said this,

"We have had an unusually high number of flight attendant sick calls and an unusually high number of bag handler sick calls in Philadelphia," airline spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said. Philadelphia is a US Airways hub.

Management is always blaming the workers for ineptness.

Unfortunately there are no solid union leaders that stick up for workers when management makes such asinine public claims. Not since Teddy left. In the above article, she said,

"There is no union action. It's poor management planning, that's my opinion. . . . We have sick calls every single year around the holiday," said Teddy Xidas, president of the Association of Flight Attendants Local 40 in Pittsburgh.

Your company was pissing and moaning about something it tried to manufacture and wasn't simply true. The feds were called in and the following was excerpted,

"...U.S. Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta has directed senior officials to talk with US Airways management about problems at the Philadelphia airport, Transportation Department spokesman Robert Johnson said Saturday.

"We are obviously concerned about the situation, and we will be interested in learning more from the airline about how the passengers and their luggage came to be stranded," Johnson said."

My understanding was that as a result of an investigation by the DOT, it was determined that senior management was just running its mouth about sick calls and work actions. It was determined that Teddy was right.

If UA or NW workers were alleged to be doing a slowdown then it was probably a result of workers going out of their way in the name of safety and others dropping the dime calling in sick. Such is impermissible. As I said, the problem isn't that those who work safe have to work safer, but rather those that work unsafe should work safe. It's a question of safe or unsafe, not more safe. I'm not sure there is such a thing as more safe.
For those who work unsafe, dont' follow what I say, kindly follow the company safety alerts and instructions posted on your breakroom walls like wallpaper.

regards,

US has NEVER taken the the unions to court over the PHL bag mess, it was the DOT's Inspector General's report that showed lack of staffing, the weather and management's poor planning that caused the X-Mas meltdown along with the moving of the flights from PIT to PHL.

DOT overview report

y/w, it is an overview, I know Piney Bob has the link to the full report.

I remember back in 1992 when we entered into the 30 day cooling off period we worked by the book and accepted no overtime and it really hurt the company's performance.

Management cannot discipline you for refusing to do anything that jeopardizes your health and safety or the health and safety of those around you. This protection applies to everyone in the work place. Unionized or not.