SAFETY OVERSIGHT

[The fact remains that WN self disclosed, contacted Boeing and the FAA, and all parties agreed to the remedy. The inspections were completed in 8 days, two days faster than Boeing recomended. The reason this issue is coming up again is because someone has an axe to grind at the FAA. Could it be that the whistle blower mentioned in the Dallas Morning News was turned down employement at Southwest in the past?

Let's see Southwest Airlines discovered it , reported it to the FAA, Contacted Boeing The Manufacturer of the Airplane. are not these 3 group a better expert on the subject than all these reporters & whisle blowers?

For what its worth there is a story I beleive on the front page of USA Today, I read it on line that dosen't make Southwest look very good at all, this could get worse before it gets better.

Let me look at this objectively...this article wants to make me scared of flying on a Southwest 737. So what do I do? Fly on a US 737 instead? The US 737 has visible cracks all over it: cracked seats, cracked side panels, overhead bin doors broken or missing.

Sorry, I'd feel safer putting myself and my children on the exceptionally clean and well-maintained (at least it looks that way) Southwest plane.

Thats the most idioctic thing I've ever read ! :huh:

So in essence what your saying is as long as the airplane looks pretty , you'll fly on it ?

Well at least we now know why SW always shows a profit ! They don't have to pay for maintanence repairs because they don't worry about them !

[The fact remains that WN self disclosed, contacted Boeing and the FAA, and all parties agreed to the remedy. The inspections were completed in 8 days, two days faster than Boeing recomended. The reason this issue is coming up again is because someone has an axe to grind at the FAA. Could it be that the whistle blower mentioned in the Dallas Morning News was turned down employement at Southwest in the past?

Let's see Southwest Airlines discovered it , reported it to the FAA, Contacted Boeing The Manufacturer of the Airplane. are not these 3 group a better expert on the subject than all these reporters & whisle blowers?

No matter who disclosed what, the fact remains Southwest Airlines "IGNORED" schedule maintanence procedures and endangered the flying public just to make a buck !

we all know the dream childs of Southwest can do no wrong.. it does not matter. the FAA in other economic times would have atleast grounded the older typer 737s.... believe me it this had happened to another airline things would be different. the majority of 737s right now are operated by Southwest its the only plane they fly and they do fly some of the older ones like US does but this is about an airline that comes back with that stellar mtc issue but lets not forget that sometimes their flight tend to override the runways and the innocents in the cars are the fatalities. but for the spokeswoman from Southwest to say... THE SAFETY OF THE TRAVELING PUBLIC WAS NOT IN DANGER... well yeah you can say that since you were lucky that the six airplanes with cracks did not become worse with the stress of flying and no one was killed... yeah you can say that... heads should roll at the FAA and at WN . other airlines would have been shut down but oh know not WN.... the darlings who get preferred treatment and this is what the public is exposed to. the new slogan at WN should be with those stupid final boarding calls of theirs... WE LUV YOU BUT WE WILL LEAVE YOU>.. they should be saying WE LUV YOU AND IF WE LEAVE YOU > YOU MAY BE LUCKY THAT YOU WERE NOT ON ONE OF THOSE 6 AIRPLANES WITH THE DETECTED CRACKS>. btw the way im not a US employee. :huh:

Does anyone here have an ax to grind? Follow the money.

JAMES L. OBERSTAR: CAREER PROFILE (SINCE 1989)
Top Contributors
1 Aircraft Owners & Pilots Assn $100,000
2 Air Line Pilots Assn $95,000
3 Teamsters Union $84,500
4 United Transportation Union $78,000
5 Laborers Union $77,800
6 United Parcel Service $73,400
7 Machinists/Aerospace Workers Union $71,000
8 Northwest Airlines $67,000
9 American Fedn of St/Cnty/Munic Employees $60,500
10 Amalgamated Transit Union $60,000
10 National Air Traffic Controllers Assn $60,000
12 FedEx Corp $58,700
13 Operating Engineers Union $55,500
14 American Assn for Justice $51,500
15 Outdoor Advertising Assn of America $47,731
16 American Airlines $47,151
17 Marine Engineers Beneficial Assn $46,950
18 Transport Workers Union $45,500
19 AFL-CIO $42,750
20 American Maritime Officers $42,500

I have to admit that I am quite amazed and perplexed in this thread.

PAX, pilots and maintenance justify a clear violation of an AD and justify it with the ‘well known’ no one died defense.

Sad, truly sad and disappointing.

Consider this, If SWA is capable to do this unfettered, then were will the next line in the sand be?

Oops, 100 people died but the FAA and Boeing knew about it.

Bull####

B) UT

PAX, pilots and maintenance justify a clear violation of an AD and justify it with the ‘well known’ no one died defense.

Consider this, If SWA is capable to do this unfettered, then were will the next line in the sand be?

Bull####

B) UT
I haven't tried to justify anything. I responded to an employee of another airline who implied that Southwest's stellar on-time rating was because they wouldn't pull aircraft offline for maintenance. Just wanted to point out that at the airline HE works for, HIS management didn't want to pull an aircraft offline for maintenance, and a mechanic felt strongly enough about it that he threw objects into the engine to keep the aircraft from leaving the gate.

Bull####

B) UT
I'm amazed and perplexed that you're amazed and perplexed, since it appears that you were the first to use the phrase, "no one died". I don't think that others were agreeing with your sarcastic remark to justify what has happened. The comments that I've read agreeing with "no one died" referenced the media's and public's anticipated eventual lack of interest in this story. No where that I've read has anyone implied, "No one died, therefore it's OK to intentionally violate an AD".

The posters on this topic seem to be divided into two groups: (1) those that are willing to wait for all the facts to come in before forming an opinion about individual WN and FAA employees' guilt, and based on that, a just punishment; and (2) those that are so hungry for anything negative about WN or the FAA, that they'd rather convict, then punish, then let all the facts come in.

The second group has made comments like:
(1) we'd like to see them (WN) go out of business
(2) since WN did it, it must be going on all over the industry
(3) in order to achieve a high on-time percentage, WN must be cutting back on mx
(4)mx has been cut, to an unsafe level, from airlines since 9-11
(5)this incident is a criminal act on the part of WN
(6)this incident was a deliberate act
(7)this incident was a deliberate tactic to usurp mx rules
(8)WN shows a profit by not paying for mx repairs
(9)WN is unfettered to violate FARs

All of the above are opinions; they will eventually be proven, or not proven. Some have an infatuation with the wishful demise of WN; I don't, so I'm willing to wait. What has been proven, time and time again, is members of the media jump on something and beat it to death, until something else comes along (like the governor of NY allegedly being involved in a protitution ring).

All of the above are opinions; they will eventually be proven, or not proven. Some have an infatuation with the wishful demise of WN; I don't, so I'm willing to wait. What has been proven, time and time again, is members of the media jump on something and beat it to death, until something else comes along (like the governor of NY allegedly being involved in a protitution ring).

How about this as the next story for the Media?

Lisa Marie Presley sues over 'fat' story

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080311/ap_en_...a_marie_presley

How about this as the next story for the Media?

Lisa Marie Presley sues over 'fat' story

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080311/ap_en_...a_marie_presley

I suppose this whole thing has no legs? The troubling part is that SWA did not fire these workers and is having to go to great lengths to tell the public they are actually doing what they should have been doing in the first place.

SWA Plays defense on Safety- Suspends corrupt workers

Sorry bubbletoy, SWA is going to feel heat from this for quite some time to come. And yes it is enjoyable because you guys have operated around the regs for many years. Time to act like an airline. Going to be more to follow on the flight operations safety side of this. I think the FAA is just hitting the tip of the iceberg on this one. From the rumors I hear the ax is going to be swinging at many SWA departments.

I'm amazed and perplexed that you're amazed and perplexed, since it appears that you were the first to use the phrase, "no one died". I don't think that others were agreeing with your sarcastic remark to justify what has happened. The comments that I've read agreeing with "no one died" referenced the media's and public's anticipated eventual lack of interest in this story. No where that I've read has anyone implied, "No one died, therefore it's OK to intentionally violate an AD".

The posters on this topic seem to be divided into two groups: (1) those that are willing to wait for all the facts to come in before forming an opinion about individual WN and FAA employees' guilt, and based on that, a just punishment; and (2) those that are so hungry for anything negative about WN or the FAA, that they'd rather convict, then punish, then let all the facts come in.

The second group has made comments like:
(1) we'd like to see them (WN) go out of business
(2) since WN did it, it must be going on all over the industry
(3) in order to achieve a high on-time percentage, WN must be cutting back on mx
(4)mx has been cut, to an unsafe level, from airlines since 9-11
(5)this incident is a criminal act on the part of WN
(6)this incident was a deliberate act
(7)this incident was a deliberate tactic to usurp mx rules
(8)WN shows a profit by not paying for mx repairs
(9)WN is unfettered to violate FARs

I am in the crowd looking in disbelief at Oberstar and his hypocrisy. He was in the ostrich crowd when we (NWA Techs) were on strike, replaced by the untrained scabs. I'm sure if I go back and research your posts, that you were one of the ones outraged by what was happening when the FAA removed the PMI for blowing the whistle on the FAA's acceptance of the scab program?

Tell us, do you have enough facts? Do some research on EAL, NWA and the group involved in both airlines and you may be "amazed and perplexed". After all, no one died...

I am in the crowd looking in disbelief at Oberstar and his hypocrisy. He was in the ostrich crowd when we (NWA Techs) were on strike, replaced by the untrained scabs. I'm sure if I go back and research your posts, that you were one of the ones outraged by what was happening when the FAA removed the PMI for blowing the whistle on the FAA's acceptance of the scab program?

Tell us, do you have enough facts? Do some research on EAL, NWA and the group involved in both airlines and you may be "amazed and perplexed". After all, no one died...
As to your 1st paragraph: you've got me confused with someone else. As to your 2nd: I don't believe that I, nor anyone whose post I've read, has enough facts to come to any realistic conclusion, positive or negative, about this incident. Having a negative opinion about WN, combined with having read a newspaper article is enough "evidence" for some; not me. Not having enough facts is exactly why I've opined that too many seem to be in too much of a rush to convict WN.

Latest posts

Back