Security Lines and wait times

CLTBWIDAYSYR

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
I read something the other day from a U source that said (paraphrasing) we were doing everything we could to aleviate long lines at airport security. I don''t buy it! After 9/11, Northwest ripped out ticket counter space at MSP and added additional security lanes. They also added a lane for airport/airline employees only. I can''t speak for any other U hub, but CLT is dismal! I flew (revenue) to DEN a couple of weeks ago (on a Saturday morning) and not only was the check-in line a mile long (over 20 minutes to use "e check-in"), it took over 30 minutes to go through security! CLT hasn''t added the first additional line. All they have added is a maze that makes something as simple as walking through the main terminal nearly impossible. How do we expect our customers to travel with us if we''re not willing to actually get them to the gate within an hour of showing up with an e-ticket?

Is the checkpoint in CLT Federal? If so you can voice concerns on an 800 number listed at www.tsa.dot.gov As the government is now responsible for purchasing all Security equipment it may be good to contact the TSA even if they are not at the checkpoint.

The security lines in PIT are not a problem. It's actually the quickest airport security to get through at times now. Just NEVER go through security during a shift change! ! That was a nightmare.

What is a pain is waiting in line at the ticket counters in certain cities. FLL.....SUCKS big time! And TPA is no fun either.

It's not surprising that we now have "security rage" occuring. I am also looking forward to having the FEDS take over all the airport security soon. Listen up Dennis in ROC..........(private security company employee that NEEDS to be replaced immediately for his bigoted and nasty attitude). I just hope don't "rehire" some of the people that are currently working the security lines.

I dealt with some of the TSA screeners last week on a trip. They were so much more professional and friendly than the minimum wage types that used to work there.

I haven't cleared security in CLT, but I haven't had any long waits in PHL or PIT.

I went through TSA pre-check at MCO this week, which they also shared with non-crew airport employees (fast food workers and other vendors), who ALL jumped to the front of the line.  Why does the Starbucks guy get to hop the line go in front of me...? It really would have been better to go through the cattle call line.

CLT security is TSA.  The airlines have no control or say in how the TSA does business.  See post #2 for your contacts to express concern/displeasure over the security procedures at CLT.

cubs_in_2012 said:
I went through TSA pre-check at MCO this week, which they also shared with non-crew airport employees (fast food workers and other vendors), who ALL jumped to the front of the line.  Why does the Starbucks guy get to hop the line go in front of me...? It really would have been better to go through the cattle call line.
Aside from the fact that MCO security always looks like the evacuation of Leningrad, I agree that airport employees should not be able to go to the head of the line.  That started with crews going to the front because you can't board until we are on board, but quickly expanded to fast food workers and other airport employees.  However, MCO is now a Known Crewmember airport; so, we don't use TSA pre-check anymore.

jimntx said:
Aside from the fact that MCO security always looks like the evacuation of Leningrad, I agree that airport employees should not be able to go to the head of the line.  That started with crews going to the front because you can't board until we are on board, but quickly expanded to fast food workers and other airport employees.  However, MCO is now a Known Crewmember airport; so, we don't use TSA pre-check anymore.
Your job is more important than theirs? "other" airport employees  may work for vendors that may deice and push back.

Worldport said:
Your job is more important than theirs? "other" airport employees  may work for vendors that may deice and push back.
I didn't say that, but then I don't go through TSA pre-check unless there is no Knowncrewmember portal.  And, I do NOT break in line in front of revenue passengers when I  do use pre-check.  Remember, the passengers who go through that faster line have paid a fee to do that.  Are all of your "important" McDonald's employees paying for the privilege of using the pre-check line?

Reactions: 2 people