Selling E-190's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe he is just out of the loop and really does not have a clue what is going on with the operation??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Folks,

This thread is about the pending sale of the EMB-190's. It is NOT about the union dispute(s) or anything of that nature. DO NOT GO THERE, except to discuss the impact on the pilots affected by this fleet reduction/elimination possibility.

There is already one pilot's labor thread--if you want to go more into union posturing discuss it there.

If this one continues down the wrong path it will be closed.

Thank you.

if USAIRWAYS selss the 10 E-190s now, then the rest by yrs end, and we pick up Frontier's Airbus, wouldnt that be at very least little growth given that they want to go all airbus? Secondly I dont understand why they would buy the 190s knowing that they would turn around and sell them. We havent had them but may be 3 yrs at most--the 190s that is

Nobody cared how may jobs were lost in Las Vegas.............

Welcome to our world.

As for the 190's, the best 3 weeks of my life were the 3 weeks I saved by NOT going to school on that aircraft.

Remember the F-100's and their short service life?

Actually i'm sorry to hear this. The 190's are a GREAt aircraft actually. I have flown on JB's often and luv them. Of of course, great seat pitch, TV and Video...something US is clueless about.
US should have made them all-coach, used them on the SHUTTLE with pitch differential and video, wi-fi etc. Also could have been used intra florida and routes to the Carribean. Yet another marketing mishap in TEMPE. Oh will they ever get it!!??

Does anyone find it funny that Kirby would publish a letter to the employees that "they are CLOSE to finalizing an agreement" to sell 10 E190's? Not they are Finalizing or HAVE FINALIZED an agreement to sell E190's? First, not professional at all, and secondly, could he be yanking our chain? Just a thought.....

You're right about not waiting until the transaction was final. Not certain why anyone would make the statement unless it was final.

If they get A318s or A319s as part of the deal, it would improve the crew situation. I hope for the employees that is the case. If they don't, it seems to me it is a way of raising further cash, eliminating a fleet type, reducing further capacity, and better positioning themselves, for a merger, takeover or sale. I think sooner or later it appears that is inevitable. The mistrust comes from the fact that US has never been in a successful merger, so why would a future one be any different? Frankly, with the labor issues here and at UA (if that's the one) it would be the worst one yet.

Now on the CRJ/EMB small jet issue, does anyone know when the contracts are up with the Express carriers to dump some of the CRJ/EMB flying?

Obviously they're not going to divulge their business plan prior to making a big announcement, provided there is some big announcement., and provided there is a business plan. Remember the UA/US merger in the past. There was no plan B.

So whomever will be affected by this, you have my sympathy. Not a good time for unemployment.

Welcome to our world.

As for the 190's, the best 3 weeks of my life were the 3 weeks I saved by NOT going to school on that aircraft.

Remember the F-100's and their short service life?

How do you define a short service life?

The F100's were operated at USAirways from 1989-2002.

Now on the CRJ/EMB small jet issue, does anyone know when the contracts are up with the Express carriers to dump some of the CRJ/EMB flying?

Excluding PSA, which could see reductions/elimination at any time since it's wholly-owned, this is what I could find:

Republic Air Holdings - ERJ 145 contract expires March 2013 and the 170/175 contract expires September 2015

Mesa - June 2012 (US can reduce by 1 CRJ each 6 months)

Those are the big affiliates that are publicly owned corporations - between them they operate nearly half the Express fleet. Air Wisconsin is a large affiliate but privately owned so files no annual reports.

Jim

USA320Pilot comments: In my opinion, Mike Cleary told the E-190 pilots that the BPR was willing to throw the junior pilots under the bus and they would not work with management to save pilot, flight attendant, and other employee group jobs by seeking consensual approaches to keep US Airways flying the E-190s. During the election some pilots warned others this type of union action could happen if Cleary was elected, but the majority still elected Cleary.

From a historical perspective we have seen East Flight Department HR use downsizing and job reductions including furlough notices issued more than one-year out by former EVP of HR Michele Bryan as a means to get the attention of the East Hardlined controlled MEC. With many of the same ALPA hardliners now in charge of USAPA, with no union check and balance system in place, and the belief management does not take USAPA seriously, the sale of the E-190/the adjustment of staffing levels has been predicted/expected by many oberserves due to the economy/USAPA's sentiment.

Again, USAPA continues to punch in the mouth people they want help from like Doug Parker, Neil Wake, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which continues to hurt the pilot group and other employees. The sale of the E-190 is probably motivated by capacity reductions, but I believe USAPA’s approach contributed to the decision and continues to cost pilot jobs.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Give me a break. I've been furlouged twice from this joint and I would not want the UNION to do anything to "give back" more to save jobs. The company will do what the company is going to do. And that is to sell the 190s. Blaming USAPA for this is laughable. Why don't you go get a job with the company since you love them so much?!

How do you define a short service life?

The F100's were operated at USAirways from 1989-2002.

I guess my concept of time must be getting bad in my old age. It just seemed short until you posted the actual in service date.

But I remember it was shortly after the merger with Piedmont. They had the "Little Motor Fokker's" and the company liked them. Soon after that, the we got the "Big Motor Fokker's" because the company wanted a 100 seat replacement for the BAC 1-11 and DC9's.

They got them cheap, about 3 million per aircraft, with free maintenance for the first years, if my memory serves.

We had just started to learn the airplane, and had upgraded the landing gear and apu, among other things, then 9-11 happened, and then they were gone.

It all seems so short. But compared to the time we had the DC9's and the 737's, 12 years seems short to me.

But it seems like yesterday that we were doing the pre-service mod's to the 190's, and now they will be gone too.

And HP did not have any A321 orders prior to the merger, they were ordered post merger.

I believe the correct term is converted. HP pre-merger 320 orders were converted to 321 deliveries, and possibly options contained in those orders exercised. But the orders were Pre-merger.

Being able to convert orders from one variant to another is commonly included in aircraft orders. That's how the 190's came to the US fleet (the original 170 order) and was included in the premerger US Airbus orders (both narrowbody - convertible between 319/320/321 and widebody (330/340). If I recall correctly conversion language in also in the postmerger A350 order.

Jim

Kirby's statement shows the real picture. LAYOFFS. Instead of trying to figure out why this is happening, lets look at the real picture and get answers to the following questions:
1-What cities will be affected?
2-What cities may be shut down?
3-To whom are they selling them too?
4-How many flight attendants will be lost?
5-How many pilots will be lost?
6-How many mechanics will be lost?
7-How many customer service agents will be lost?
8-Will they turn PIT into an express city due to this sale?

Lost jobs is the main focus in Kirby's letter to all employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.