Selling E-190's

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheStreet.com wrote: James Ray, spokesman for the U.S. Airline Pilots Association, said a transition agreement signed after the 2005 merger with America West guarantees minimum flying time until a joint pilot contract is signed. Pilots have already filed a grievance alleging that the airline is below the minimum flying time requirement.

USA320Pilot comments: The Transition Agreement does not contain a minimum block hour requirement; therefore, there are no "guarantees minimum flying time until a joint pilot contract is signed." The Transition Agreement has a minimum East Group II (B737, A320 family, B757/767, A330) and West B737, A320 family, and B757 minimum fleet count. The E-190 is not part of the minimum fleet count, which is why management can sell the Embraer aircraft that are owned through financing agreements.

TheStreet.com wrote: Crews for the 190 are based in Charlotte and Philadelphia. Ray said 100 to 120 pilots staff 10 aircraft.

USA320Pilot comments: Prior to LOA 93 East Resource Planning staffed aircraft at 11.8 pilots per aircraft, which was the ratio to cover line flying, initial, and recurrent training. With LOA 93 productivity changes the number is likely lower. West crews cannot fly the E-190 yet, thus, any reductions in staffing would be on the East side of the operation.

Ss255 said: "I think it's a shame that US is dispensing with the best aircraft in its fleet. (At least in my opinion.) I realize that it was a business decision........but I really wish that they could have gotten rid of the CRJ's instead."

USA320Pilot comments: I have been told US Airways' management would like to reduce 50-seat ERJ and CRJ flying from the network; however, the company has fee for service or fee for departure contracts and cannot remove partner RJ flying. The CRJ reduction option does exist at PSA, which is a wholly owned subsidiary.

In my opinion, if US Airways obtains Frontier Airbus aircraft these jets will be used to replace Boeing equipment to further rationlize the fleet and create further economies of scale.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot comments: The Transition Agreement does not contain a minimum block hour requirement; therefore, there are no "guarantees minimum flying time until a joint pilot contract is signed." The Transition Agreement has a minimum East Group II (B737, A320 family, B757/767, A330) and West B737, A320 family, and B757 minimum fleet count. The E-190 is not part of the minimum fleet count, which is why management can sell the Embraer aircraft that are owned through financing agreements.

While the transition agreement does not have it's own minimum block hour language, it does state that the two separate contracts will remain in force until such time as there is a single combined contract. So the transition agreement upholds existing minimum block hour language in the contracts. West has minimum block hour language in their contract and while LOA93 eliminated the minimum block hour language from the East contract, provisions of LOA84 dependent on the minimum block hour language of that LOA remain in effect.

I believe that the grievance Ray mentioned is for West minimum block hour violations.

Jim

Boeing Boy,

Boeing Boy said: While the transition agreement does not have it's own minimum block hour language, it does state that the two separate contracts will remain in force until such time as there is a single combined contract. So the transition agreement upholds existing minimum block hour language in the contracts. West has minimum block hour language in their contract and while LOA93 eliminated the minimum block hour language from the East contract, provisions of LOA84 dependent on the minimum block hour language of that LOA remain in effect. I believe that the grievance Ray mentioned is for West minimum block hour violations.

USA320Pilot comments: I agree with your comments and you bring up good points, but, the E-190 is not flown on the West side of the operation and does not effect the West minimum block hours. And, I believe LOA 93 may override LOA 84; therefore, management believes the LOA 84 minimum block hour provsions are not germane, which is the reason for the disagreement. Management's argument may be correct.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Waketurbulence said: “It won't be long until the remaining 15 will be sold.â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: In the past I have heard management state that a fleet of less than 20 aircraft is too small to operate. I agree with your comment.

Waketurbulence said: “I hope I'm wrong but the company is building up cash reserves, getting rid of un-profitable flying, and lowering head count for what may be another merger.â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: I believe an argument can be made that the LGA-DCA slot transaction and fleet rationalization program of eliminating the B737s and reducing the E-190s are moves that would facilitate a merger. If US Airways would merge with United the slot transaction reduces DOJ anti-trust issues between Continental and US Airways at EWR and LGA, which are considered a common airport for anti-trust and a problem due to United and Continental receiving anti-trust immunity. Both companies are eliminating the B737s from their inventory and US Airways is reducing and maybe eliminating the E-190, which creates further fleet rationalization.

On August 8 Mike Cleary said: “USAPA will always encourage our management to grow the airline. We, of course, do not want them to park aircraft. But, we will not put our pilots into the untenable position of bargaining (read: paying) to keep their own jobs. We hear from many of our E190 pilots on the line that they will stand firm and would rather be furloughed than take another pay reduction. We fully support them. Management can figure out how many airframes and what types they want to fly. It is our responsibility to negotiate market rates and working conditions for our pilots. Although connected, those responsibilities do not overlap.â€￾

USA320Pilot comments: In my opinion, Mike Cleary told the E-190 pilots that the BPR was willing to throw the junior pilots under the bus and they would not work with management to save pilot, flight attendant, and other employee group jobs by seeking consensual approaches to keep US Airways flying the E-190s. During the election some pilots warned others this type of union action could happen if Cleary was elected, but the majority still elected Cleary.

From a historical perspective we have seen East Flight Department HR use downsizing and job reductions including furlough notices issued more than one-year out by former EVP of HR Michele Bryan as a means to get the attention of the East Hardlined controlled MEC. With many of the same ALPA hardliners now in charge of USAPA, with no union check and balance system in place, and the belief management does not take USAPA seriously, the sale of the E-190/the adjustment of staffing levels has been predicted/expected by many oberserves due to the economy/USAPA's sentiment.

Again, USAPA continues to punch in the mouth people they want help from like Doug Parker, Neil Wake, and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which continues to hurt the pilot group and other employees. The sale of the E-190 is probably motivated by capacity reductions, but I believe USAPA’s approach contributed to the decision and continues to cost pilot jobs.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Not counting the rumored Airbuses from Frontier (at least until verified) there are supposed to be 4 more A321 and 2 A320 deliveries this quarter, offset by the loss of 8 B757's. That is per the investor update issued in July. I believe that there are more A321/320 deliveries for next year plus A332's, again offset by returns to lessors.

Jim

From what I have read US is actually getting a whole bunch of new A-320/321's in 2010-2012 but I believe most will be 734/757 replacement aircraft. If the F9 319 rumor is true they would likely replace 733's.

Regards

LGA777

Folks :
A couple warnings here. No profanity. Labor issues go in the labor threads.

If this thread does not settle down we are going to close it & suspend more folks. Re read the board rules at the top of the forum before making another post. Thank you.

He wants to run and airline and is doing it in the most cost effective way he can.

Give us all a break, he is doing nothing more than trying to "polish the turd" for a merger or sale and he will line his pockets and jump ship just like all the other raiders!!! :down: I seriously belive he has no interest in running an airline......

Not counting the rumored Airbuses from Frontier (at least until verified) there are supposed to be 4 more A321 and 2 A320 deliveries this quarter, offset by the loss of 8 B757's. That is per the investor update issued in July. I believe that there are more A321/320 deliveries for next year plus A332's, again offset by returns to lessors.

Jim

As a matter of fact, Jim, another brand spankin' new west metal A321 was delivered in PIT yesterday, and it ferried to CLT tonight to be put into revenue service. I still can't understand why we continue to segregate A321's between East (GE engines) and West (IAE Engines). Wouldn't it make more sense to order one engine type, or is Tempe content with keeping the East/West separate so they can sell them off in two parts?

Back on topic with the E190's. They are definitely a customer favorite due to 2+2 seating, ie. no middle seat, but they are a bear for ramp agents to load because the bin height is so low. At least Repugnant is going to use them for Midwest and Frontier flights, and NOT for US Express contract flights (at least for now).

As a matter of fact, Jim, another brand spankin' new west metal A321 was delivered in PIT yesterday, and it ferried to CLT tonight to be put into revenue service. I still can't understand why we continue to segregate A321's between East (GE engines) and West (IAE Engines). Wouldn't it make more sense to order one engine type, or is Tempe content with keeping the East/West separate so they can sell them off in two parts?

Back on topic with the E190's. They are definitely a customer favorite due to 2+2 seating, ie. no middle seat, but they are a bear for ramp agents to load because the bin height is so low. At least Repugnant is going to use them for Midwest and Frontier flights, and NOT for US Express contract flights (at least for now).

These aircraft were on order for America West prior to the merger. The configuration was more or less set in stone. Thus the IAE engines.

The E190 bin could be the size of a gopher hole, for all I care. For some stations, the E190 makes the difference between some job security (for awhile until the other shoe drops) and being eligible for outsourcing. A good number of fleet service will most probably be furloughed due to the loss of these planes. Guys at work have made the comment that they would like to see these aircraft go because of the bins and I say "job security" and they come around.

Nobody cared how may jobs were lost in Las Vegas. The pilots on the West were furloughed out of order, w'ell these E190 pilots still held jobs on the East??! Now reality sets in. Sorry, US Airways just making business sense, in this hard Economy.
Remember we also lost 200 fa's in PHX base alone. Only 100 on the East, which most took leaves of absence. I hope no fa's on the East will be furloughed this time around. :(

MRTC didn't "fail," but AA did abandon it in the difficult years following the September 11 attacks.

MRTC was announced in early 2000; the domestic fleet featured it by the end of summer, 2000.
What is MRTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back