Shared sacrifice of Doug Parker

nostradamus

Veteran
Dec 7, 2004
US Airways CEO Declines 2005 Annual Incentive Payment
March 9, 2006

US Airways today announced internally that CEO Doug Parker has declined his 2005 bonus payment. The airline’s Board of Directors recently approved payouts for eligible employees under America West’s 2005 Annual Incentive Program. As part of that program, the Board awarded Doug a 2005 cash incentive payment of $770,000, which he declined. As part of this same program, eligible former America West employees at grades 23 and above will receive payouts. Details of individual payments will be available from your direct supervisor early next week.

CEO Comments

Doug stated, “I am pleased that the America West Airlines annual incentive plan was achieved for 2005. Our team certainly earned and deserves this recognition. While I am honored by the Board’s recognition of my own contributions, I have chosen to decline this award. As CEO of a larger merged airline that has many employees who have taken significant pay cuts and many others still on furlough, I have communicated to our Board that I would prefer to receive an annual cash incentive when our employee profit sharing plans are paying dividends too. In 2006, the annual incentive program will only pay if the profit-sharing plan in place for the majority of our employees pays out.

“I do not take this step lightly as I strongly believe our team has earned this reward. I recognize, however, that deciding to lead the former US Airways team comes with some expectation of shared sacrifice. Unlike most of the team, my total compensation includes some other key elements, including a Long Term Incentive Plan. That Plan paid out a significant amount for 2005 due to America West’s industry leading stock performance from 2002 to 2005. Ultimately, I look forward to the day when profit sharing is a consistent part of our culture and appreciate the efforts of all of our employees as we work to integrate our two airlines.â€￾

Unlike most of the team, my total compensation includes some other key elements, including a Long Term Incentive Plan. That Plan paid out a significant amount for 2005 due to America West’s industry leading stock performance from 2002 to 2005.
For the curious, 2005 LTIP payments:

Douglas Parker $1,787,500

Jim

[Edit - I inadvertently dropped a zero. It's been corrected.]

if you had miles deducted to upgrade...and there was a schedule change....they have always booked it the same for the new flight...i would think if it was not avail then they would contact you and let you know your miles were going to be put back into your account...PM or put your rez number in and maybe one of us can investigate it for you....

The company rep is sure busy tonight

if you had miles deducted to upgrade...and there was a schedule change....they have always booked it the same for the new flight...i would think if it was not avail then they would contact you and let you know your miles were going to be put back into your account...PM or put your rez number in and maybe one of us can investigate it for you....
The company rep is sure busy tonight

kao quote

US Airways today announced internally that CEO Doug Parker has declined his 2005 bonus payment.

Oh, puh-leeze. Does Dougie baby think we are all stupid? This is nothing more than a show on his part. Empty words. Empty lies. Nothing we haven't heard before from every other CEO at this airline who has come before him! The man is still rolling in the money that he just made from his last payout! Does he think that we all believe that this is some huge sacrifice on his part? Give me a break!
If he thinks that we all believe that he "feels our pain" and that we all believe that he is sharing in our misfortunes from the unending lies, pay concessions and benefit reductions that US Airways has dumped on us all over the years, he is even more crazy in the head than Wolfie was. Give me an ever loving break!
It just proves that you can take Wolfie out of the Ivory Tower, but replacing him with Dougie gives us nothing more than a generic cookie cutter version of all of the CEO's of this airline who came before him. :angry:

Ya know... I really, truly with all my heart wanted to believe in this new management. I went against all we experienced to give them a chance. Hell I still am trying but it's becoming harder and harder everyday. We on the east through two BK's have been beaten so far down and demoralized that it's been very hard if not impossible to get employees on the bandwagon. Some say hop on or leave but it's not really a fair statement. MANY have put much of their lives into doing something they LOVE only to have EVERYTHING at their job, their careers torn to pieces. We all want to see the brighter side of things but no matter how you cut it, explain it, break it down to see a CEO or upper management get bonuses, stock payouts ect it just kinda makes you sick. Now that the "new" US is making money again thanks to US on both sides of this new company we just want fair negotiations. Cost neutral is simply NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. With profits being realized through the hard work of everyone it's a slap in the damn face to think we are gonna take any cut of any kind. So I find it hard to believe that Doug truly feels our pain. I don't want a freakin hot dog or ice cream cone. The thought is nice but it just does not cut the mustard. I'm not asking for a big hourly raise. Just fair negotiating at the table to get this baby off the ground. Enjoy your big lump of cash while we eat our ice cream/hot dogs and maybe steal a few to take home and feed the family. :rolleyes:

Ya know... I really, truly with all my heart wanted to believe in this new management. I went against all we experienced to give them a chance. Hell I still am trying but it's becoming harder and harder everyday. We on the east through two BK's have been beaten so far down and demoralized that it's been very hard if not impossible to get employees on the bandwagon. Some say hop on or leave but it's not really a fair statement. MANY have put much of their lives into doing something they LOVE only to have EVERYTHING at their job, their careers torn to pieces. We all want to see the brighter side of things but no matter how you cut it, explain it, break it down to see a CEO or upper management get bonuses, stock payouts ect it just kinda makes you sick. Now that the "new" US is making money again thanks to US on both sides of this new company we just want fair negotiations. Cost neutral is simply NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. With profits being realized through the hard work of everyone it's a slap in the damn face to think we are gonna take any cut of any kind. So I find it hard to believe that Doug truly feels our pain. I don't want a freakin hot dog or ice cream cone. The thought is nice but it just does not cut the mustard. I'm not asking for a big hourly raise. Just fair negotiating at the table to get this baby off the ground. Enjoy your big lump of cash while we eat our ice cream/hot dogs and maybe steal a few to take home and feed the family. :rolleyes:

Cost neutral = CHAOS in my book!

Deming is turning over in his grave every time Doug says, "Cost Neutral".

Instead of shared sacrifice, maybe we could talk about human sacrifice. We could invite the victim to Cancun and see what we can come up with in the way of deity appeasement.

And now more than ever in aviation history, another wave of terror that makes the flight crew profession very dangerous and risky. I think the greatest fear is being on a plane that has been targeted with a suicide bomber and having the US fighter jet be deployed with orders to blow it up.

This argument should be presented over and over again in every negotiation meeting. Often times, you need to "humanize" the issue to arouse guilt in management who don't fly every single day for a living, whose families are safe at home, while the crews families worry and stress every single trip they are called to take out.

The stress level for crews must be beyond comprehension.