Parker Turns Down Bonus

Just my opinion, but I think the point that is being missed is the fact that this was based on America West Airlines BEFORE the merger.....a totally separate airline at the time. Granted, there were a few months of overlap but still, the basis was America West and not the new US Airways.

You are correct. Also, no America West employees have been asked to make concessions or take pay cuts while others receive bonuses. This bonus was for the profit that AMERICA WEST made in 2005 before the merger with US Air.

When I can't produce any longer, I expect to be replaced and I'm okay with that...if I couldn't produce for the company I'd fire myself!

Now this is a "sic" statement.

And as soon as you get ill and CAN'T produce, make sure to quit your job and contact SSI so you can have medical cause you won't get it from the company you just quit for the sake of THEIR BOTTOM LINE. And you won't be able to obtain another job without good health.

Whoa, where do these people come from? Sounds like a person who has been abused for years and thinks that is what they deserve. :eek:...a big fat NOTHING!

No PIT you get what you negotiate as you well know.

"You're hired to be fired" is a saying in the at will world. We all know it going in and we're OK with it. People "Fire" themselves every day, some just never get around to actually leaving. The unions have them too. They are the ones who are perpetually on a "Level" and couldn't seem to care less.

People quit anywhere from 6 to 24 months before they actually leave. That's why I was all over US with how they treated employees, you could see them "quitting"! We had many a "Dead Gate Agent Walking" in PHL and other places. Other work groups as well.

Managing people is the worlds toughest job IMO. But there are proven right ways and wrong ways.

Well Bob, we will agree to disagree. Not sure we are talking about the same thing here.

When someone says they will fire themselves if they can't produce, that includes many reasons.

For example:

1. There are folks who lift all day long, from package houses, to airline baggage handlers, to moving/storage companies. A life long of this activity will surely take a toll on ones joints and back. After all, back injuries are the most common injuries to workers in this country and can be very disabling. Whether you are physically disabled from the back injury or addicted to pain meds to continue to keep employment.

2. Another simple example are those folks who answer phones all day long or sit at a computer 8 and 10 hours a day. Their eating habits are poor and their activity level..is none for most. These types of workers develop health problems just from the type of work they do. They can easily develop morbid obesity from lack of activity and diet.

3. Another example is jobs that create "stress" and anxiety to reach certain performance numbers like "sales" etc...

So, many jobs themselves cause the health problems that create lost time for companies.

For anyone to say that if they can't produce anymore will quit their job either is delusional, putting their families at risk, or just a plain exaggeration and foolish on the part of the poster. If the latter is the case, than the person is just plane NOT credible in my mind's eye.

I've seen plenty in my day. Present job and past. If folks are going to spend 8 to 10 hours at a job day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year and the type of job is "sedentary, health problems will develop. For most folks, they don't make a conscious effort to exercise and eat healthy as evidenced by the epidemic of morbid obesity and addictions we have in our society. In fact morbid obesity is rapidly growing as the #1 health disease of children and adults surpassing cancer and heart disease.

Folks are considered obese who are 30# above their normal weight for height and bone structure. Morbid obesity is 50#

All I am saying in this post is that there are many service jobs or jobs in general that are unhealthy to perform from the nature of repetitivness and stress.

If you want to quit your job when you become unhealthy, than more power to you and good luck your employer will love you for alleviating them from finding ways to terminate you.

Now this is a "sic" statement.

THEIR BOTTOM LINE.

A person who has been abused for years and thinks that is what they deserve. :eek:

Thanks for the advice...I really appreciate it.

If by "sic" you mean "a surprising or paradoxical word or phrase"...maybe it is surprising and paradoxical to some that there are still people in this world who stand by their word. When I can't produce I will seek other opportunities within my capacity---that might be sitting on the porch, if that is my capacity. Oh, by the way, it is not "their bottom line," it is ours, at least those of us who own stock and share in the profits beyond being provided a job.

Sorry to disappoint, but I've never been abused (can't say some on this board haven't tired recently but it is all in fun I'm sure). I don't take abuse very well so I run away and seek other opportunities...two full time employers in my working life spanning several decades shows I have to run away often. Guess I've been lucky huh.

In case you intended "sick" in the first line, you are correct...I am one sick puppy because I like a challenge, revel in independence, seek change, generally like people, love flying airplanes, and spend way too much time on this message board! One more thing that makes me the sickest is that I don't see the boogy man behind every strategic or tactical move the company makes! Yes, I took the money.

Having a great rainy Sunday.

Yes. I mean "sick" in the head.

Give Dougie a kiss ...kay? Both cheeks. B)

You nailed me. BTW, I don't know Doug that well. Sorry, but cheek kissing is not within scope. Must leave that to the pros...someone must have that on contract.

First of all the finances of the companies are combined.
What you fail to realize and understand is that there are many different pots that money is in. It's not just one big account. It's department and other budgets. Keep your eyes open and you will see how there's "no money" but things keep happening.

And last time I checked US is still losing money, and alienating their most loyal fliers, not a great way to run a company.
Refer to the statement above. It sure is a helluva lot better looking than it was before. I'm sure that DP and his staff would be more than happy to listen to your ideas on how to run the company.

Third the IAM does not accrete employees, the NMB does that.
That is a partially true statement. BUT the NMB will not even look at an employee group unless they are petitioned to do so. And if I'm wrong, please explain why, when the IBT came in at America West in 1998 (contract in place), why did the NMB not accrete the other, non union work groups that perform "similar" and related functions???? Because those work groups did not want to become unionized and that wish was respected.

Fourth the employees at US that were accreded were being organized, signing cards and even had their own in-house committee overseeing the organizing. (since you were not there I would not expect you to know this, but I have all ready explained this to you several times and even provided you with the link to the NMB case.)
Again, refer to the above statements. I've read the cases and I have also been led to believe that there are a number that no longer wish representation and those that currently don't wish representation. It's a helluva lot easier to get in than it is to get out. But it's not impossible. And that possibility isn't gone. Look what transpired recently........the IAM was voted out because the workers trust their new management.

Fifth the IAM CBA is the surviving CBA no matter what so if HP has employees doing the same work as US employees under the CBA the NMB will acrette them. A word of advice don't believe the company, they lie time after time after time. And the ibt wants to alienate and keep East and West seperate and still permit the company to outsource the heavy mtc on the former HP fleet.
TRANSITION AGREEMENTS. So, when the NMB looks at Stock Clerks and Utility.....disparity..........stock clerks are under a seperate contract and utility doesn't exist. How is that going to work out? Rhetorical question by the way. Please, no advise is needed. I will believe whomever and whatever I choose. You have to be smart enough to read between the lines and NOT put your blind faith in what someone tells you. Understandably, the old US Airways, et al, have been beaten in the ground and it's going to take time to get over that BUT......there is a new scent in the air. My advise to you would be to listen and look to the future for the good instead of living in the past and recollecting the bad. And please, tell me that the IAM has never lied or alluded to half truths or told you what you wanted to hear. Again, you have to be smart enough to decipher the words. And as far as the IBT alientating and keeping the east and west seperate.........bull-oney. The only one that can alienate and seperate is you, as an individual. There are many, many examples of seperation and it's not from the IBT alone.

Now a little tid bit that many may not have thought about regarding the outsourcing of maintenance. Yes, the heavy maintenance in the IAM contract is great. At least it's something. No, there is no heavy maintenance in the IBT contract because it was outsourced by Franke years BEFORE the IBT was in. The question was asked if the company was looking at bringing in additional heavy maintenance. The answer was no. The company cannot even handle the heavy maintenance right now, that they are obligated to do per the IAM contract, once the fleets are combined. It was explained that the cost of outsourcing used to be much less (back when mechanic's wages were higher) but with the reduction in mechanic's wages, the gap has lessened. Now, since the company will struggle to some degree, to accomplish what is contractually obligated, the huge cost of bringing more work in house isn't in the future. The company would have to buy/lease facilities, tooling, equipment, etc. But they don't intend to......the vendor facilities, tooling and equipment are already there. So in the long run, it's still cost effective to outsource the maintenance no matter what, in the company's view. Thus the shell game with money and budgets. So it appears, that no matter which union or no union, an increase of heavy maintenance being done in house, is not going to happen in the near or possibly, distant future.

First of all the finances of the companies are combined.
The "fact" is (pesky facts!) that AWA employees did not get this bonus because of the very unfair sacrifices made by US employees. Yes, the money came out of the big pool of money owned by the new company. But unlike bonuses paid to FORMER US executives (not current, FORMER), these bonuses paid to AWA employees were not made possible by the sacrifices of US employees. It was made possible by the hard work of the AWA employees.

The "fact" is (pesky facts!) that AWA employees did not get this bonus because of the very unfair sacrifices made by US employees. Yes, the money came out of the big pool of money owned by the new company. But unlike bonuses paid to FORMER US executives (not current, FORMER), these bonuses paid to AWA employees were not made possible by the sacrifices of US employees. It was made possible by the hard work of the AWA employees.

The reality is that NO ONE should be receiving bonus money specifically non-labor workers or execs from AWA UNTIL ALL CONTRACTS ON AWA SIDE THAT ARE CURRENTLY AMENDABLE ARE NEGOTIATED AND RATIFIED!

Until Dougie does right by ALL his AWA workers who too were part of the profit of AWA in 2005 have negotiated agreements, then the bonus you received as non-labor is unequitable and partial.

When a company only rewards half their employees, a "rift" is created and morale problems abound.

The reality is that NO ONE should be receiving bonus money specifically non-labor workers or execs from AWA UNTIL ALL CONTRACTS ON AWA SIDE THAT ARE CURRENTLY AMENDABLE ARE NEGOTIATED AND RATIFIED!

Until Dougie does right by ALL his AWA workers who too were part of the profit of AWA in 2005 have negotiated agreements, then the bonus you received as non-labor is unequitable and partial.

When a company only rewards half their employees, a "rift" is created and morale problems abound.
This is part of the letter.

Background
As America West employees will remember, in early 2005, the Company announced it would eliminate AWArd Pay and replace that with a one-time four percent base salary increase for employees below grade 23. Employees grades 23 and higher would then receive part of their compensation through an at risk program, which only pays if the Company achieves certain financial goals. Because America West, on a standalone basis, did achieve its financial goals for 2005, the Board has approved payouts for eligible employees. The Board also elected to make payouts to certain former US Airways employees who are now working as part of the new combined team.

In 2006, the plan will not pay unless payments are also made under the broader profit sharing programs put in place for all represented employees below the director level as part of the merged airline.

This was a program that was put in place and altered numerous times, at AWA. Unfortunately, the represented groups do not have this in their contract. This is an at risk program that has NO guarantee of any pay out, as part of the compensation for grades 23 and above.

There were also payouts to certain former US Airways employees. Who? Not sure.

Please see the positive in that the merged airline will have a broader profit sharing program.

There are and have been disparities between represented and non represented employees at AWA.

Are you going to be this over-the-top when/if we make a profit in 2006.

The rift is caused by contracts not by non-represented employees or management. AWA management made commitments to pay profit sharing to eligible employees based on the company's performance long before the merger was more than a rumor. I realize that some non-represented employees did not participate in the AWA incentive program but they do receive pay incentives that I am not familiar with. New US Airways management kept those commitments. Had they not kept this commitment, most likely, none or very few of the eligible employees would have said a word (most actually get it), but some people would have used that to highlight management as being less than truthful and called for the opportunity to represent the non-represented.

Under Doug’s leadership the company has been up-front and truthful in every instance, that I am aware of…I’m sure someone can point to something that they feel otherwise but I know of none. Doug did what he thought was right and turned back his earned bonus and I am proud of him for that but he also realized that lots of good work needed to be recognized and the BOD approved bonus did that.

Sorry but we all play the hand we get. Now lets get this thing going toward profit so we can have this discussion again in 2007.

With any luck, the ineligible represented work groups can get contracts amended in time to allow “pay for performance.â€￾

Sorry but we all play the hand we get. Now lets get this thing going toward profit so we can have this discussion again in 2007.

With any luck, the ineligible represented work groups can get contracts amended in time to allow “pay for performance.â€￾

In 2006, the plan will not pay unless payments are also made under the broader profit sharing programs put in place for all represented employees below the director level as part of the merged airline.

So does that mean "all or none" or does the "all" still exclude grade 23 and below?

US EAST f/as do not receive "profit sharing" until the end of 2008, at a % that is extremely LOW and at targets that are hard to obtain.

This negotiation piece during BK #2 was in exchange for freezing pensions, that after ratification of said agreement, the pensions were dumped to the PBGC as requested by the company and approved by the judge.

For these reasons mainly, I had decided to leave the company.