Southwest Airline To Begin Pittsburgh Service

pitflyer

Dec 18, 2002
Pittsburgh
www.usaviation.com
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05005/437595.stm

Southwest Airlines is coming to Pittsburgh.

Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato and county Airport Authority officials have scheduled a press conference at 2 p.m. today at Pittsburgh International Airport to make the formal announcement.

Probably best discussed on the Southwest bboard, but in case the regulars here don't check that out...

(MOD: Please delete -- sorry I did not see another post already moved on this one!!!)

Southwest is one smart airline! Plenty of gate space (thinks to U mismanagement). One of the best terminals in the country. A really good airline is finally in Pittsburg! The locals will flock to cheap efficient service!

I still say today, it was over when LUV announced PHL service. The rest has been a Company in its death spiral.

I am very sad for the best people (Airways front line) that you could ever want to meet, united with the worst Airline Management that has ever been.

Sure the RJ hub will work. How many RJ's does LUV have?

The response will be nothing.First bwi,phl,and now pit.The wagons are circling and u is just about without a pulse.I have said before it does not matter what u does but the other carriers will determine u's future.With airtran out of the ata deal,they will need cities to put their 717's and 737's on new routes and swa will add many 737's this year.Even delta is applying the pressure by adding 8 erj170 this year and 8 next year.Also nwa is adding new service in the east.I hope some carrier will allow me to transfer my frequent flyer miles as continental did with eastern and aa did with twa.
So long for now :down:

So what kind of sweatheart deal did PIT give them? I will promose you it's a good one. Hum! Good for PIT! They finally got what they wanted...rid of US Airways.

Didn't US Airways Gofare all of it 30 non-stop markets out of PIT? Wasn't this suppose to keep the likes of Southwest out of PIT?

Well, first US handed the entire West Coast to SWA on a silver platter, then it was BWI on that same silver platter, now it seems like they are polishing up that platter for PIT. Maybe, if they had used that silver platter in FC along with the lost glassware and crystal, we wouldn't be losing our customers hand over fist to SWA!!!

firstamendment said:
So what kind of sweatheart deal did PIT give them? I will promose you it's a good one. Hum! Good for PIT! They finally got what they wanted...rid of US Airways.
[post="235867"][/post]​

If it's anything up to and including the $263.9 million dollars or so they offered US in Chapter 11 version 1, I'd say all is fair that ends fair.

I've been saying this would happen on this forum ever since US pulled the 11th hour crud on PIT the first time.

It does not matter if it's FLYi in IAD, jetBlue in BOS/JFK, Southwest in PHL, or AirTran in BWI, US Airways must have a competitive cost structure to compete in a rapidly changing industry.

US Airways offers its GoFares in about 25% of its markets and plans to implement this in almost all domestic markets shortly, once the company has a competitve cost structure in place, which could occur next week.

Meanwhile, Southwest's PIT service, along with the likes of USA3000, lowers the airport's and US Airways PIT operating expense.

What's interesting is that Southwest and the ACAA made this announcement almost simultaneously with the conference call where Dan Onarato and Ed Rendell are speaking wiht Bruce Lakefield about keeping the PIT reservation and maintenance facilities in service. In my opinion, especially with INT offering a financial incentive to keep reservations in NC, this Southwest move may cement the company's decision to move more of its operations to NC.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways offers its GoFares in about 25% of its markets and plans to implement this in almost all domestic markets shortly, once the company has a competitve cost structure in place, which could occur next week.
"plans"... "once..." "shortly"... It is always planned and on the table, but it never seems to happen except to match a LCC. Funny DL 'go-fared' their system today. Now you can't even spout your lie of "US Airways will be the first legacy carrier to transition to a rational/LCC fare structure."

Meanwhile, Southwest's PIT service, along with the likes of USA3000, lowers the airport's and US Airways PIT operating expense.
I must admit that your ability to spin terrible news for US Airways into good news for US Airways is astounding. I am certainly not that creative.

If US makes it at this point I will be amazed. I sincerely hope they do, but every day it looks less and less likely.