Southwests Threads

skyguy25

Advanced
Nov 30, 2003
I know that we are all bitter, disgusted, tired, some are hopeful-some are not. We are riding the rollercoaster of emotions. I don't want this to sound like a Utopia dream or a after-school special where we all sing We are The World, but i am really getting tired of Southwest's threads especially the one: you guys should by the shiittle, i mean Shuttle. Slam Slam Slam. Regardless of our feelings toward the company, we are the company. And i am tired of every airline in here tearing us down. If we want to complain thats our right, its ours. We are not even defending "us". Isn't there anything good or positive that we can use to show the others in here that there is some hope or we have some element of decent product? We have to create a voice of optimism or hope so the other airlines aren't like vulchers over a dead lion. Yes we blame our mgt. and unions and everyone else, but for god's sake lets at least defend ourselves to WN in their posts and ours. Whether we like it or not, sink or rise, at least to the public and other airlines can't we fake it for once?

USAviation.com

US Airways board : 3,578 Topics, 38,583 replies. (highest on entire board)

Southwest Airlines board: 164 Topics, 1,313 replies.

Looks like they are busy running an airline.

The post suggesting WN look into a purchase of the Shuttle (which we have basically put up for sale) was by a passenger who also frequents the US board with positive observations and suggestions.

I've been impressed with the fact that there had been little gloating or threats from WN employees on here. Sadly, the most tension between companies comes from bickering and snide comments between US and UA employees, supposedly partners on the same team.

Keep in mind also that a very high percentage of posters on the US board are not employees. Many are customers and many are former employees (keep in mind the company- and I mean real US Airways- has laid off nearly 20,000 employees, almost 40% of its 2001 workforce). The active employees are not being given anything to "defend"... US Airways employees are forced to fight battles with management rather than focus on competing. When you are being threatened with outsourcing (be it through third party maintenance or being replaced with Express-wage labor), it's hard to "fight the competitition." The lack of any sort of plan for US Airways as a going entity beyond next week also does little to instill any confidence.

US Airways board : 3,578 Topics, 38,583 replies. (highest on entire board)

Southwest Airlines board: 164 Topics, 1,313 replies.

Looks like they are busy running an airline.

You bet they are, and happy to be doing it. Working for SWA appears to still be a Fun career that pays well to boot. No Mainline Express with poverty wages, no 40% of their workforce on the street, No station closings hanging over their heads, No assets posted for sale, No Liquidation threats for the Holdiays and so on.....
Get the Idea, they still go with the Happy Employee = The productive Employee train of thought. There is nothing worse than coming to work each day waiting for the Big Bad Hammer to drop on you and/or your station. Want to bet if they bring RJ's into their fleet, that their employees won't suffer any financial cuts????

(keep in mind the company- and I mean real US Airways-

Is there a "fake" US Airways we should know about?

Skyking,

I belive things will get better, but I think most are waiting for a Mgt. team with the vision and leadership skills to properly motivate. I for one belive greatly in this company (and I mean the entire Group as a whole), I just don't belive in this Mgt. They don't give the employees of the Group anything to be happy about.

Once they learn how to treat people (if the business stays viable that long) then you will see the positive. I mean heck, even in tough times true leaders have been able to raise the spirits of the troops. But these leaders so far show no signs of being able to do that.

Right now the Group needs to be doing things different and they're not. Other than violating contracts. Now (and when I say now I mean YESTERDAY) is the time for them to change the way we fly, before SWA enters PHL. But so far no signs of that.

You know when we (the Group) came out of BK I thought for sure that US was going to look completely different, fly to different places, and have all the look and feel of a "high class low cost carrier". And to my surprise and disappointment, the only thing the Group has done, was shrink Mainline and pit the WO's against eachother. Not a good business plan.

We've got what now, about two months before SWA flys their first flight from PHL? I'm holding out hope one last time that US Airways can change the way this company flys, bring back the furloughed, give the employees the motivation to fight again, and defeat SWA with everything they've got. Thats a tall order, and I think it could happen, but its gonna take LEADERSHIP.

Why yes, there is a fake US Airways... Mesa, Chautauqua, TransStates, Shuttle America, ete etc.... I dont personally see the growth of these companies under the guise of U as a good thing while the mainline shrinks by half and subsidiaries may be liquidated.

Light Years said:
Why yes, there is a fake US Airways... Mesa, Chautauqua, TransStates, Shuttle America, ete etc.... I dont personally see the growth of these companies under the guise of U as a good thing while the mainline shrinks by half and subsidiaries may be liquidated.
;) I was just checking and agree with you 100%. I had a different respone if you were going to say the WO's. :up: I'm not looking for a fight though. :D

I just flew on SWA from PVD-BWI r/t and got a chance to talk to Cust Serv Agents and Flight Attend and asked them about the PHL "showdown". IF SWA is slamming US then they are certainly not showing it or even hinting at it to the general public. Responses varied but I did have one Cust Serv Agent who said that she was quite amazed at all the flap over 14 flights a day. She said that even if SWA went to 40 flights a day that would hardly compare to all the service that US has in PHL, less that 10%. She went on to say that US employees had suffered enough and didn't wish them any more problems or grief. One Flight Attend didn't even want to talk about it other than to say that she had seen enough of her fellow "brothers and sisters" lose their jobs and prayed daily for those that had. It really seemed to me that SWA employees, for the most have a heart, and do not wish ill will toward US or their employees. Just telling you what I heard and saw.....

I have also dealt with SWA Crews and a few Employees over the years and found them all to be a good bunch. We used to handle some of their charters, and you could not have asked for a more pleasent group. But then again they are enjoying their jobs as well as being taken care of by their company. They have a bright future to look forward to, and we have the DAILY Doom & Gloom that has gone on for several years. It is too bad that Management is to blind to see this aspect of the operation.