Teamsters In-house Tactics and Raiding American Airlines and other news etc

Buck

Veteran
Contributor
Aug 20, 2002
www.fairtax.org
Hoffa Slaps Trusteeship on Local 2010

June 1, 2012: Our newest Teamster local has been put into trusteeship. Local 2010 is the Coalition of University Employees, which affiliated with the Teamsters in 2010. CUE represents nearly 14,000 employees throughout ten campuses of the University of California.
The problems with the union are long standing. Active members have repeatedly informed the International union that the union is dysfunctional. The question is, why did Hoffa wait two years to take action?
The trusteeship hearing was initiated just as a local union election was scheduled, so the effect has been to delay democracy in this local. In his letter announcing the trusteeship, Hoffa acknowledged that petitions and members at the trusteeship hearing “generally advocated conducting an election of officers within a relatively short period of time.”
Hoffa should live up to that membership request. These Teamsters deserve a chance to elect their own officers and rebuild a strong union for the clerical and allied workers who run the country’s largest university system.

How NOT to Build Teamster Power: The Kane Family Locals to Merge

May 22, 2012: New York Local 111 is merging into Local 202. Why would a local of office workers in the telecom industry merge into a local based in the big produce central market?
Because Dan Kane Sr. is in the process of turning the family business over to his son, Dan Kane Jr. Kane Sr. heads Local 111, and Kane Jr. heads Local 202. Between them they made nearly $400,000 in total compensation last year.
Kane Sr. is an International vice president, and hopes to turn that position over to Junior when he retires.
The way to build Teamster power is with locals that bring together workers in the same industries, such as construction, warehousing, public employment, trucking, etc. Divide-and-weaken is the employers' game, and our union should not join it.
http://tdu.org/teamster-voice/teamster-voice-279-mayjune-2012

Congratulations to the International Brotherhood of Teamsters

Congratulations to the largest Industrial union in the country, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT). After 4 years of negotiations, the IBT has reached a Tentative Agreement for the nearly 1,100 aircraft mechanics and helpers at United Parcel Service (UPS). When the contract expires in November 2013, a top paid mechanic at UPS will be making $50.31 per hour. A representative of the IBT pointed out that UPS makes around a billion dollars a quarter and certainly had no ground to argue about not giving good wages in negotiations. The Teamsters also represent 250,000 ground employees at UPS who fall under The National Labor Relations Act. Mechanics fall under the Railway Labor Act; however, the combined group belong to the same union. If UPS had not agreed to the mechanics contract and the IBT had been forced to strike, UPS would have to face the whole group going on strike not just the aircraft mechanics. The scenario in reverse happened almost twenty years ago when ground workers went on strike while mechanics were still under contract. Mechanics honored the strike and did not cross the picket line. Teamsters and the TWU continue to have a great working relationship and we are currently working together on foreign maintenance and FAA issues. In December, the Teamsters and TWU sent a joint letter to Chairman Jerry Costello (D-IL) supporting his call for additional oversight hearings on MRO facilities. “Airline management must be held to the highest standards when it comes to the maintenance of commercial airliners and the people who work on them. Accepting the minimum standard should never be good enough for the FAA. The traveling public and the crews that operate these airliners must never be compromised. They should not have to guess if the airliner they are traveling on was properly repaired or if the work was done by the cheapest bidder,”

I signed and turned in my Teamsters registration form Thursday. I have my CDL and the way I figure it when we get laid off here soon I will have already shown interest in the Union I'll be driving for. So screw it. I signed one.

Reactions: 1 person
I signed and turned in my Teamsters registration form Thursday. I have my CDL and the way I figure it when we get laid off here soon I will have already shown interest in the Union I'll be driving for. So screw it. I signed one.

I just hope you sign an AMFA card also to get us an election to remove the TWU.

Reactions: 4 people

This is the type of stuff the ol Canali regime gives into.... The CSA Teamster rep is an old Canali agc that was voted out of office 4 yrs ago. Wouldn't one think that this would be a perfect opportunity for the CWA agents to be protected somewhat in these times?

" Curbside, Yesterday I got clarification from .......... Teamsters Business Manager, that curbside GAT employees who have been hazmat trained CAN check ID’s and TAG Bags. They may greet, answer questions, handle bags, wheelchairs, etc. HOWEVER, our US Airways CSA’s are in charge and must lead and direct the curbside activities/check-in process. And as a reminder, any CSA may be called upon to work curbside."

This may be a Customer Service topic but it just goes to show that even the teamsters don't protect like they use to! Beware AA customer service. I know you lost the card signing this time but after BK you should think about the CWA/Teamster representation at US.

Do we wanna turn this industry around? Then this is a missed opportunity to start with!

I just hope you sign an AMFA card also to get us an election to remove the TWU.
Signed an AMFA card pre 9/11, signed and AMP card 2011, signed another AMFA card 2012 and now a TEAMSTERS. Waited on AMP/AMFA for a card count and never heard anything. So now I'll take my chances with the TEAMSTERS and see if things move faster. Lets get this ball rolling.

Latest posts