Temporary Injunction against USAPA filed today

- Anonymous text messages encouraging slow taxis and other delay tactics to arrive at “Block +16” minutes – thereby missing the DOT on-time arrival window and ensuring customer and baggage misconnections
This is one thing that sealed UA ALPA's fate with our injunction. The calling tree and texting antics. The difference is that it was a concerted effort by a small group of pilots who were off the reservation on their own. They were the ones targeted specifically and lost their jobs. Unfortunately the entire pilot group was hamstrung by the injunction. Looks like USAirways is going after the union leadership.

I must say, from what I've seen here, there is just enough stupidity and irrationality for a bunch of yahoos to keep up the activity, thumbing their nose at the injunction, and landing the Union with an enormous damage ruling.

Where oh where is sumadarson?????????? WHERE ARE YOU??????? One of your favorite pastimes was cutting and pasting the UA injunction after your semi weekly United updates. How's it feel to have your own injunction noose around your neck? Only your company is actually seeking damages. Something UA never sought against ALPA.

And while we're rubbing smug noses in the turn of events, where is Hate?????? Oh Hate????? Where are you?????????? How does this fit into your list of predictions from 2009? 2010? 2011? Where are all the great things coming your way? I hear Kasher has some bad news for you. Will you be around to accept the call?

Financials?

UPDATE: US Airways files an Injunction against Usapa for their illegal job action campaign.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Dear Fellow Employees,

Today the Company filed a lawsuit in federal district court in Charlotte seeking an injunction against USAPA, the labor union that represents our pilots. The lawsuit asks the court to stop USAPA’s illegal job action campaign.

This is not a step we take lightly, but we simply can no longer allow the labor union’s illegal and misguided actions to harm US Airways, our employees and our customers. It is important you know that this lawsuit is aimed at USAPA and its leadership, not the thousands of dedicated airmen and women who – despite this political sideshow – operate their flights safely, on time and with the highest level of professionalism.

Today’s filing contains overwhelming evidence of illegal activity by USAPA including a consistent pattern of statements from the labor union’s leadership encouraging its members to slow down the operation and:

- A “safety” campaign that is clearly nothing more than a poorly disguised concerted illegal slowdown campaign
- Anonymous text messages encouraging slow taxis and other delay tactics to arrive at “Block +16” minutes – thereby missing the DOT on-time arrival window and ensuring customer and baggage misconnections
- Encouraging the delayed completion of online training in an effort to force flight cancellations
- Directing write-ups of non flight-critical maintenance items just before departure so that flights are delayed
- Threats to expose, intimidate and retaliate against union members who do not cooperate with the slowdown effort

It is unfortunate USAPA has taken a page from an outdated playbook; namely, using the guise of safety to signal an illegal operational slowdown. We will never compromise safety at US Airways, but we also will not tolerate illegal job actions. We owe that to you – the 32,000 hard-working employees of US Airways – and to our customers, and we take that obligation seriously.

I’ve heard from many of you expressing frustration at what USAPA is doing to harm our airline. I appreciate that concern and am grateful for your continued commitment to our customers. With the initiation of the litigation, we are a step closer to getting back to working together and moving forward as one team to ensure the long-term success of US Airways. Thank you so much for all you do, and please keep up the great work.

Doug

Well I can tell you that I recently worked a Trans Atlantic trip on the A330-300 where the International Relief Officer (IRO) was putting up a stink because the magnet that keeps the cockpit door in the open position was not there and replaced with velcro. Which was an ok fix according to the MEL. Both the Captain and First Officer were ok with the fix except for him. He stated that it was an FAA issue and that it needed to be replaced with a new Magnet or the airplane should not go and if it was not replaced he was not comfortable taking the aircraft. Clearly this was him just trying to screw the company . It was one of those things where you say "How far do you really want to take this?" .Either way the whole thing lasted until 9:45 pm when the Captain simply asked told the IRO that if he wasn't happy then he could be replaced with a reserve IRO. The IRO got off and we got a replacement who told me he had been burned by this guy 6 times before . The flight was scheduled to depart PHL at 6:35 pm .We took off at 11:30 pm. All for a magnet . I understand our pilots are fighting for a cause and I respect that . But things like this just simply makes me wonder. The guy got off and went home while we had to work this International trip tired as hell. Not to mention the passengers who were really pissed . The Valerie Wells issue is one thing but a f'ng magnet ?? You guys gotta learn how to pick your battles in my opinion .

Um, like tossing tea into a harbor? Are you calling the original "teabaggers" cowards? As in our founding fathers? Are you an idiot? Sometimes I think we should gift Arizona back to Mexico, with a lot of apologies.

If you had a company, and your employee was stealing, or breaking equipment, what would you do? Pretty bad analogy to the tea party. You are not under the yoke of oppression, you can quit any time you want.

BTW, your hyperbole limit was reached early in your sentence.... :lol:

Notice how Nicolau and Addington just keep reappearing? If APA got hammered over their sick action re: Reno Air, well this should be some real fun coming up with USAPA. After all, Republican appointed federal judges have shown a real affinity for USAPA's argument that "binding isn't necessarily binding."

Seeham and crew gotta be loving this slugfest.....cha ching....who do YOU think Cleary will choose to represent him? Somedays, although only for a fleeting moment.....$$$$$...I wish I was Seeham....NOT! hahaha Dang this UsApA is one piece of work.....

What have you done for me lately....Janet Jackson

FAA May Ground America West
Comment
Print
Text Size
- / +

P H O E N I X, Aug. 26

America West planes will be grounded unless the airline proves within a week that it has completed maintenance on a quarter of its fleet, federal regulators said Friday.

It was the second time this year in which the nation’s ninth-largest carrier faced disciplinary action over maintenance issues. The Federal Aviation Administration threatened in January to bar the suburban Tempe-based airline from acquiring additional planes until it provided adequate maintenance for the ones it had.

This time, David Gillom of the FAA told the airline by letter that, based on an audit and review, “we have serious concerns about American West’s continuous airworthiness maintenance program.”

Overall, the airline must show it has completed the checks on 35 of its 130 planes.

Airline Says It Can Answer Charges

America West President Douglas Parker and other senior executives were away on a company retreat and couldn’t be reached for comment, but Parker issued a statement saying the airline has completed the required maintenance and can prove it.

However, company spokesman James Sabourin said America West canceled seven flights on Thursday in order to complete maintenance checks on nine aircraft.

The FAA is auditing all nine major carriers in response to a January Alaska Airlines crash that killed 88 people, which lead to a review of Alaska’s maintenance practices. Six of those audits have been completed.

FAA spokeswoman Diane Spitalierie said its audit of America West found no flight safety issues but that the agency nonetheless doesn’t consider proper record-keeping and oversight of major maintenance a minor issue, since those practices represent a way to prevent accidents.

History of Problems

America West has been under FAA scrutiny over maintenance for more than two years. The airline was fined $5 million in July 1998 over maintenance issues that included failing to conduct required inspections. Half of the fine was forgiven, despite local FAA officials’ objections.

This past July, the airline temporarily reduced the number of flights in order to double the number of spare planes available and otherwise to give maintenance increased attention in light of reduced earnings resulting in part from delays and cancellations.

In February, a computer glitch led to cancellation of 160 flights and left about 1,000 passengers stranded. Maintenance problems then led to flight cancellations during the Memorial Day weekend in May.

The airline had laid off 500 maintenance workers in 1995 in favor of having an outside firm handle much of the work. Many of the mechanics were rehired in late 1998.

In the current warning, the FAA expressed concern about deferred maintenance and poor oversight of heavy maintenance overhauls conducted by outside vendors.

You have to love these guys in Tempe, They sure know how to run a airline. :D Did the pilots get blamed for this also?

Once the court issues its injunction USAPA will be dead in the water. From then on any variance from historical operations, on anything, will almost certainly be a violation of the injunction. Parties who violate an injunction face civil or criminal contempt of court proceedings and may be ordered to pay damages or sanctions for failing to follow the court's order.

If USAPA and their slow down zealots commits a single act against the company not only can they be termianted from employment, but they may as well have committed suicide because they or the union can be ordered to pay fines or damages.

Under the RLA this is child's play for management. USAPA now could have damages to pay, although I believe the company will spare the pilots because Doug Parker said, "It is important you know that this lawsuit is aimed at USAPA and its leadership, not the thousands of dedicated airmen and women who – despite this political sideshow – operate their flights safely, on time and with the highest level of professionalism."

In my opinion, management is going to be watching every pilot on every flight and it behoves pilots to efficiently operate your aircraft and maybe management will show some lenancy.

With the hearings in CLT at least many US Airways employees will be able to watch the show, which could break USAPA's back.

Could it be the company has a little bird telling them the LOA93 decision may go against them? Thus, they will attempt to gain negotiating leverage by filing a frivoulous suite, which they will be willing to "drop" in exchnage for foregoance of backpay? Stranger things have happened.

Once the court issues its injunction USAPA will be dead in the water. From then on any variance from historical operations, on anything, will almost certainly be a violation of the injunction. Parties who violate an injunction face civil or criminal contempt of court proceedings and may be ordered to pay damages or sanctions for failing to follow the court's order.

If USAPA and their slow down zealots commits a single act against the company not only can they be termianted from employment, but they may as well have committed suicide because they or the union can be ordered to pay fines or damages.

Under the RLA this is child's play for management. USAPA now could have damages to pay, although I believe the company will spare the pilots because Doug Parker said, "It is important you know that this lawsuit is aimed at USAPA and its leadership, not the thousands of dedicated airmen and women who – despite this political sideshow – operate their flights safely, on time and with the highest level of professionalism."

In my opinion, management is going to be watching every pilot on every flight and it behones pilots to efficiently operate your aircraft and maybe management will show some lenancy.

With the hearings in CLT at least many US Airways employees will be able to watch the show, which could break USAPA's back.

Are you Chris Matthews? I think I just heard a tingle shoot up your leg.

If you had a company, and your employee was stealing, or breaking equipment, what would you do?

You are accusing easties as "stealing or breaking equipment"?

Oh, baby, you may wish to get an attorney for yourself. Got specifics? Lay them out, big boy.

Try to actually speak about facts rather than opinons, gossip or conjecture. It will be really cheaper, for you.

I now understand from an email received there could be more pilot terminations for any pilot caught executing an act that could be viewed as an illegal slowdown.

In my opinion, management is going to be watching every pilot on every flight and it behones pilots to efficiently operate your aircraft and maybe management will show some lenancy.

and, buy more US stock because it is a done deal.

Oh, wait. That was in 2001. Never mind.

USAPA should admit defeat in this case as quickly as possible and go to CHQ to ask them to drop the injunction in return for a public admission of a work slowdown and their agreement to end said slowdown ... ( your union will proably have to pay for lawyers fees and some undisclosed amount of money for the impact that your PR campagin has been having )

If your union was smart they would end this now before it escilates even further and ends up harming the pilot memebership ...

But maybe things have gotten so bad that the USAPA wants to run up legal fees in order to make the west pilots suffer along with them ...that would be interesting ...

Big if

Freedom, "if" they were smart???? Really??? That pretty much disqualifies usapa.

$400 million????? $400 million???? .....ouch......that is about $401 million more than usapa has.

I will bet $20 bucks the union busting little lawyer comes out and says he can trade the $400 million for a "cost neutral contract".

Back