Thanks For The Memories...

rescallgirl

Jan 19, 2003
Today I resigned from US Airways. After having 23 years with this company it was an extremely difficult and painful decision. For the most part, I have enjoyed working for the company and I have made many lifelong friends and I will miss them all terribly. With the uncertainty of the airline's survival I just can't afford to pass on an opportunity that will provide for my family if US goes under. I haven't slept at all this week for worrying if I am making the right decision. I have prayed about it and I hope I am making the right choice. I start my new job on Tuesday and am looking forward to a career in the medical field! (A major career move since I have been with this company since I was eighteen.)
All of you in the US Airways family will always have a special place in my heart. I wish the best to all of you and hope that you will be able to return the airline to the wonderful company it used to be.

Thanks for the memories!

ResCallGirl

Good for you! I know exactly how you feel.Just over a year ago I resinged after 22 years.I felt like I divorced my family.There is life after US and I highly recomened it.Good luck,you'll do fine.

rescallgirl:

SMART MOVE!

All the ones hanging tough till the last day standing firm with the stand is closed sign in hand I just wanted to mention this is a hurricane party we all heard about. They all partied waiting for the hurricane to come and it did and killed them all, bummer party that was. That is the way I view the situation with U, it’s no different and why I won’t be attending this party. Good Luck all you party hounds choosing to stay.

Rescallgirl..... REST ASSURED.... YOU MADE THE CORRECT DECSISION :up: Good for you! My wife and daughter are both in the medical field. Trust me, you will be in much more secure employment! If you are familiar with Cav, he seems to be striking quite a different tone since he has pursued his new endeavor :up: (Good for you also cav!) Rescallgirl, what it boils down to is this: Many of us posters' have been with U for many years. Only those of us who have worked in this industry when it was flourishing, know how great and rewarding of a career it USED TO BE!! Savor the memories, smile, reflect, and enjoy!!! Now.......... MOVE ON!! You'll do FINE!!! I'll be joining the ranks of you who chose to leave soon!! Again, Res, Good luck!!!! :up:

ResCallgirl,

Congratulations and best wishes to you! I've been in that same turmoil nightly myself. I should be making my decision shortly.

Please keep us posted on how it goes for you and the family.

Dea

Good luck in your new venture. Many of us, including myself will await the bitter end and then move on with our new careers. Your probably the smarter one to get a headstart on the rest of us. I myself am to hard headed to quit right now, as I feel it would be letting the company win. So I will research my next move for now while the ship sinks, and be prepared to be in a good life boat. ;)

to much time to quit said:
Good luck in your new venture. Many of us, including myself will await the bitter end and then move on with our new careers. Your probably the smarter one to get a headstart on the rest of us. I myself am to hard headed to quit right now, as I feel it would be letting the company win. So I will research my next move for now while the ship sinks, and be prepared to be in a good life boat. ;)
[post="175900"][/post]​
Prepare, and go when you can!! Don't let your emotions get involved, it's not healthy!!! If you want to change, you will....... If you wallow in this madness, you will suffer!!! It's not worth it. GOOD DAY!!!!

ResCallgirl: Congratulatins. I wish you all the best. I too am moving on. I don't have the years in that you do, but none the less it is a difficult decsion. I totally respect your situation. Most outside the industry find it hard to understand. Something we all have in common, no matter what area we devoted our time to.

Best wishes....kt

ktflyhome,

I'm so sorry to hear you're leaving too. I know you love the job.

Keep me posted, OK?

Dea :(

to much time to quit said:
[post="175900"][/post]​

Good luck here as well...been saying it alot lately with everybody bailing either to retirements or airlines "that won't hire ex-US mechs- et.al...blah blah blah". Including dozens to a certain NY-based Airbus carrier.......... Lots of good "send-off" food though...thanks.

You said it TMTTQ, agree 100%: I'm set to enact plan B after the fantail goes below the waves. Flexibility and planning. No way am I padding my executioners's wallet. That I might help affect history is the cherry on the cake.

Like I said before: This is what happens when you force people into lose-lose situations...they don't always act in the most magnamimous way.

Cheeky peasants!

ktflyhome said:
ResCallgirl: Congratulatins. I wish you all the best. I too am moving on. I don't have the years in that you do, but none the less it is a difficult decsion. I totally respect your situation. Most outside the industry find it hard to understand. Something we all have in common, no matter what area we devoted our time to.

Best wishes....kt
[post="175904"][/post]​
kt, noticed you said that you will be moving on?? GOOD LUCK to you also!!!! :up:

To those of you who are embarking on another career, best of luck.....there will be some things you miss, and some things you don't, but life is far too short and uncertain to spend all your time worrying about your job, your paycheck, and its security.

I don't usually launch into divulging a whole lot of personal info but this seems like a decent time to share.....

As far as memories go, those of you with USAirways aka Agony Air can be proud of many of the things your company achieved over the years. Even as a kid I would "analyze" passenger traffic trends....maybe in a prior post I let you know that my dad was a local service airline guy....albeit with Trans-Texas. Nonetheless, he would bring home industry publications for me to play with (I can't believe the stuff I used to come up with in the mid-60s....not only before Excel...but before TI calculators. I guess that explains why I am the only person in my building who keeps a very old, very tired 10 key adding machine on my desk). At any rate...besides the OAG he brought me the annual "Association of Local Transport Airlines" issue of Air Transport World. One of the articles was how, of all the local service airlines out there.....one had managed to board A MILLION PASSENGERS in one year out of a single station. I think it was somewhere around 1965 or 1966 and the station was Pittsburgh. I just recall being totally incredulous about the sheer size of that accomplishment, especially when you compared it to some of the boardings at "good" TTa stations...places like Lake Charles, Abilene, and harlingen...which managed 40 to 50 thousand passengers a year. Lord how times have changed.

Once upon a time I spent 4 yrs in a Res office. Then I finished my degree and moved on to a position as a Petroleum Engineer. Somewhere in there, out of either patriotism or the fact that I looked at boot camp as a 4 month leave of absence which would be just like going to a health spa only with drill sergeants yelling at you, I joined the Army reserve. Many of you have read how I dissect your management from time to time...I seldom mince words. Well, I didn't mince words with the management of my company, either. They put me in charge of a regional office and we went from a 12% to a 35% market share in a year's time. Still, I didn't sniff the boss' rear end and the running joke was "how low will oil go before they get rid of ELP?" Well, the answer was $11.20 a barrel.

So kicked out of the oil & gas industry I decided to go play Lieutenant in the Army for 3 yrs and then everything should be back to normal. 19 yrs later here I am, a year away from retiring, and while it hasn't been nonstop fun, I have to say it's been rewarding, I've had some good times, met some good people, and don't regret a single thing I've done.

The bottom line of my rambling tonight is basically to say "been there & done that." It can be tough at times, sort of like jumping out of a plane at airborne school.....the first time it is fear of the unknown, the second time it's fear of the known. But my most sincere wishes for all of you who are looking, then leaping....is that you find something to do that is satisfying, rewarding, hopefully reasonably lucrative, and stable. God knows you U folks could use a little stability.

Do I still miss taking calls at res? Sure. Nobody could talk folks in to standby better than me, and for four years managed to accumulate a 26.7 call per hour average. Do I miss roaming around in the middle of noplace going from drilling rig to drilling rig? Don't miss the hours, don't miss sleeping in the Chevrolet motel, but of course I miss some of the excitement. I'm sure I will miss some things about the Army when I leave...... It'll be the same thing for you guys. But when you make the break, make it cleanly and don't look back and don't second guess yourselves.

Latest posts