The AFA TA....Anyone seen it yet?

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Has the TA come out for the AFA yet? I know they are asking for a 9% pay cut (which we already gave in January), so what are the work rule changes?

----------------
On 4/9/2003 11:50:19 AM Fly wrote:

Has the TA come out for the AFA yet? I know they are asking for a 9% pay cut (which we already gave in January), so what are the work rule changes?

----------------​
You need to go to www.unitedafa.org for your answers. The site is password protected, so if you aren't a UAL flight attendant, the info won't be public until the voting is complete, same as ALPA.

However, the work rules are basically intact, with minor changes that increase and decrease our trip rigs, depending on the number of days. On balance, the rigs are to a large degree maintained.

Having reviewed the summary, while is certainly sucks to have to make any changes to our already mediocre agreement, it looks like some key things have been maintained.

Namely, they didn''t touch any of the Surplus language (which will prove very beneficial to those places such as MIA which are way overstaffed and are facing an impending surplus), Furlough (including furlough pay benefits) language which will help keep Junior people on the payroll.

Also, the Company wanted the ability to move 4 reserve days off at their discretion. I would much rather just give up 1 reserve day off (down to 11 a month) than have the Company determining which of my days off really are days off. Being on A/B myself, this is very important.

The duty rigs make sense - 5/10/15/20. Note we also kept our 1 for 3 1/2, which will in essence require many of the 3-day trips to be paid out at 17 hours anyway.
The pilots are at 1 for 4....The way UAL schedules flight attendants to work various aircraft within a single day, having some of these protections is extremely important to maintaining some quality of work-life. Note that the 8-in-24, the 1-in-7 are not touched.

Some of the Senior folk who have been flying ORD-NRT and JFK-NRT have been requesting the single layovers for years - and now they''ve got it. This will make some of them, especially the commuters very happy and in the meantime we are getting credit from the Company for this concession.

What we are losing will hurt, but it isn''t as bad as I was expecting. Comparing this to the Company''s 1113c filing which would be an outright castration of our Contract and quality of life, and even to some of the things in the APFA/AA agreement, I think the negotiating committee did a pretty good job.