The road to recovery will begin Thursday.

RV4

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
It is my opinion that AMR needs to replace Carty with a credible replacement and a vision for our future.

No more slogans, and buzz words please. Just the facts are all we need.

File the Chapter 11 for re-oganization.

Come forward with a complete business plan that the employees can view.

Make the emergence from Chapter 11, the quickest in Airline Industry.

The emlpoyees have proven their willingnes to contribute to the recovery process.

This really is not as complicated as many are attempting to make it, we just leadership instead of chaos.

Leadership - The ability to direct skills, talent, ideas, and loyalty to a common goal of success.

Failed Leadership - CHAOS

What is so difficult about that? Keep it Simple, folks,

We will begin recovery on Thursday and become a stronger Airline as a result of this current disaster.

Bring on the new leader, we are ready to follow.

----------------

----------------​
The solution will require a reworked TA. One that gets the costs AA needs to survive and compete. One that is fair to the employees who will be taking the cuts. A mutually beneficial deal, could save AA.

----------------

There isn''t any time for a reworked TA. AA is losing 8 million bucks per day in case you missed the news this morning. The union heads already had time to come up with a TA, and they did.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 8:42:41 PM AAObserver wrote:

Thank you for proving my point.

----------------​
Yep, and this likely the way the talks with union leaders are going right now.

It's the unions fault right? Arrogant stooge equals failed business and leadership.

You have proved more than any union woker needs to know. We hold all the marbles and that is what upsets you so.

You should change your alias to AAUnreasonable

un•rea•son•a•ble

Pronunciation: (un-rE'zu-nu-bul, -rEz'nu-), [key]
—adj.
1. not reasonable or rational; acting at variance with or contrary to reason; not guided by reason or sound judgment; irrational: an unreasonable person.
2. not in accordance with practical realities, as attitude or behavior; inappropriate: His Bohemianism was an unreasonable way of life for one so rich.
3. excessive, immoderate, or exorbitant; unconscionable: an unreasonable price; unreasonable demands.
4. not having the faculty of reason.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 8:32:31 PM RV4 wrote:

I see, even when  a union member offers to tone down the rhetoric and think positive.

You still come forward fanningthe flames and blaming the unions.

You are as much of the problem as anyone else is here!

IT''s the UNION''s FAULT?

Why don''t you get off that horse and help out instead of being so negative?
Are you a union leader?
Or did you short the stock and fanning the flames for profit?

----------------​

As long as the unions choose to re-vote the concessions while AA is spinning toward financial disaster, then YES the unions are at fault. They are being a huge part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

Union members that have had to adjust to the B-Scale
through today, have been conceding wages and benefits since 1983. These concessions allowed American under the leadership of Bob Crandall to rise to a 1998 profit of $1.3 billion. Then Carty took over and here we are today. Now as the airline is on the brink of bankruptcy, we the union members are being asked to sacrifice again. AAObserver, you blame labor and you have no idea what labor has already given. If as you say you are a customer of this airline, then why do you come to stir up the union workers? Are you attempting to push this airline into bankruptcy? Your tactics to date are not those that would have me vote yes. Continue your antics and I will continue to persuade my union co-workers to vote no.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 8:36:12 PM AAObserver wrote:

As long as the unions choose to re-vote the concessions while AA is spinning toward financial disaster, then YES the unions are at fault. They are being a huge part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

----------------​
The solution will require a reworked TA. One that gets the costs AA needs to survive and compete. One that is fair to the employees who will be taking the cuts. A mutually beneficial deal, could save AA.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 9:02:26 PM Buck wrote:

AA unions have been giving back for 20 years. Why don''t you help by paying a reasonable price for a ticket?

----------------​

That''s right - it''s your best customers'' fault.

Those cheap bastards won''t pay enough for their tickets!!

If only the pax would kick in some more $$$, everything would be ok.

Bob Owens thinks the airlines could just raise fares and the bad dream would be over.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 8:25:58 PM AAObserver wrote:

An airline the size of American will NOT come out of bankruptcy quickly. This will be the largest airline bankruptcy in history, and isn't small potatoes like US Air. It will take months and months just for the creditors to sift through the wreckage to figure out how much AA is really worth.

I agree it's probably time for Carty to step down; not because he's a bad man or bad CEO, but because AA's unions are too hell bent to take the company down as long as he's around.

One thing AA might want to do in the future is teach a US Business course to it's union employees so they'll realize that management is not out to get them. In BK, AA would also would be smart to use the court system to break down the outdated union system as much as possible. Creditors and judges are going to agree with AA that the three unions have been a major hindrance to business success, and in BK all the court cares about is the creditors.

----------------​
I see, even when a union member offers to tone down the rhetoric and think positive.

You still come forward fanningthe flames and blaming the unions.

You are as much of the problem as anyone else is here!

IT's the UNION's FAULT?

Why don't you get off that horse and help out instead of being so negative?
Are you a union leader?
Or did you short the stock and now your fanning the flames for profit?

Buck,

Suit yourself. If AA goes away, CO or UA will comp my status on their airlines so I''ll be fine either way.

With that said, I hope AA doesn''t go into bankruptcy. It''s a great airline, the best in the US in my opinion. But over the years it has always been clear that the unions refuse to have a positive relationship with management. I''ve had flights cancelled because of AA unions before, and I''ve had to sit on pins and needles at other times because a union threatened to strike.

The current situation is a perfect time for the AA unions to show that they are part of the solution and want to keep AA flying, but they are failing miserably all because they are mad about some executive perks that are common to all Fortune 500 companies. The CEO came out and rescinded the retention bonuses, then apologized publicly twice and the unions are still threatening to run the company into the ground.

Go ahead and vote no if you want. If the AA employees don''t care about their company then why the hell should AA''s customers?

Buck,

I do pay "reasonable" fares. In fact, the fares I pay are so "reasonable" that they are unreasonable, which is probably why AA gave me OBC status.

But I agree with you, the fare structures are a huge problem not only for AA but for the other top tier carriers. Unfortunately, I really think they are here to stay and the big airlines are either going to slash costs or become extinct.

I know that my views are not popular, and believe it or not I really feel for what AA employees are going through. This is a rough time, and all of you have rent/mortage and car payments to make not to mention families to feed. But in the end I think the union structure has done both the employees and the airline a huge disservice. If you weren't part of a union and you were a top producer (which I believe you probably are based on your posts), you would be making more money and wouldn't have to worry about being laid off because seniority wouldn't play a part.

In addition, without union constraints the airline would be more free to control it's cost through reductions in force instead of consessions from everyone, as well other ways such as using RJs where it makes sense (AE is restricted because of the pilots union). Also, unions have created alot of the "us vs. them" mentality -- you don't see this degree of hatred for management at non-unionized companies.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 9:14:01 PM FWAAA wrote:

----------------
On 4/23/2003 9:02:26 PM Buck wrote:

AA unions have been giving back for 20 years. Why don''t you help by paying a reasonable price for a ticket?

----------------​

That''s right - it''s your best customers'' fault.

Those cheap bastards won''t pay enough for their tickets!!

If only the pax would kick in some more $$$, everything would be ok.

Bob Owens thinks the airlines could just raise fares and the bad dream would be over.

----------------​
Who said AAObsever was our best customer? Our best would not venture on hear and talk down to the very people who hold his life in our hands.

It is the structure that is cheap. The passenger may gripe when he has to take his car to the garage, but he pays it anyway. The idea would be to sell tickets at least at cost.
Bob Owens is correct.

----------------
On 4/23/2003 8:48:01 PM AAObserver wrote:

There isn''t any time for a reworked TA. AA is losing 8 million bucks per day in case you missed the news this morning. The union heads already had time to come up with a TA, and they did.

----------------​

I thought you said if AA filed Chapter 11 it would be lengthy? Lot''s of time then right?

File the damn paperwork and quit your whining, will ya?

----------------

----------------​

----------------
No the unions did not have time to come up with anything. They were bullied by the Carty regime. Come up with $1.8 billion or we will file bankruptcy. And if I can ram this down their throat and then file with the SEC and then explain how I lied and deceived all the workers of American Airlines, then I will be the king of all the CEO''s.

Lets see, AA was losing $5 million a day,Labor has not changed. Now as the figure has risen, you continue to blame labor. Why don''t you go fly on a non-unionized airline?

Back