The twu just spit in your face!

thanks, it would be a good move on SWA part, there are a lot of mechanics out here who commute to JFK or LGA. ISP is around 40 miles from those two airports and many of us pass it everyday and feel the way I do. I'm not talking just AA either, UAL, Jet Blue, Delta all have mechanics here and most of them aren't that happy with their employer.
The same could be said about SAN and guys here. Pensions frozen and pay/benefits at bottom of industry? Most guys here are between 20 and 27 years with AA. I know Southwest would get very qualified people from here. I'd be happy to start at SWA.
What's stopping you from submitting an application and moving to Houston or Dallas?
Get a pay raise just by having a lower cost of living :D

Just curious, is it because of you winning treasury election for the new 591?
You'll be able to trade winter blizzards for summer hail storms!!!

Just curious, is it because of you winning treasury election for the new 591?
You'll be able to trade winter blizzards for summer hail storms!!!

NY is where my family is. Sure I could have a nicer home in Dallas or Houston and not have to work as much but family is a big part of my life. Moving away means I would rarely see them. I don't expect to live like a King, I just want a fair wage.

Never got to meet you Bob though I met Chuck. I was title 2 in BOS and would have had 20 years this year. I was an EAP rep for 562 as well. Anyway the transit system in Boston is hiring and they can't get anyone to pass the qualifying exam. If any guys in New York don't mind the drive they can give it a shot. With the next contract it should be about $38 an hour with probably one of the best pension plans in the country. Half the shop are ex AP mechanics. Anyway, all the best.

Haven't posted in 2 years but once you work the airlines you can't stay away forever. I think Gordon Bethume said " it's like dope"...lol

Never got to meet you Bob though I met Chuck. I was title 2 in BOS and would have had 20 years this year. I was an EAP rep for 562 as well. Anyway the transit system in Boston is hiring and they can't get anyone to pass the qualifying exam. If any guys in New York don't mind the drive they can give it a shot. With the next contract it should be about $38 an hour with probably one of the best pension plans in the country. Half the shop are ex AP mechanics. Anyway, all the best.

What years were you there? I pretty much met everyone in BOS. Good bunch of guys up there.

We have the same thing here. the MTA is hiring guys like crazy away from the Airlines, they even specifically advertise for aircraft mechanics. Just the Medical alone blows away the airlines, throw in Hoilday pay, 8 hour OT, pension etc etc and the airlines should be greatful that anybody shows up.

I was there 93-08. I worked with DW in 562. I miss what was, Thats when John Fortune ran the local. Anyway my dad worked for TWA since 67 and I started catering Eastern in 86 so I was around when deregulation really started to ruin the place. Just look what it's done for the banks..lol I was for AMFA although I don't think the unions have the critical mass anymore to make real things happen. That's why the SEIU and others are hitting other causes to have a broader based membership or allies. Taft Hartley makes it so hard to organise that it's come to 11% of the workforce being union. 6.7% private. The days with multiple airlines shutting down at the same time in sympathy strikes is long gone. I fear it will be a long time if ever for unions to have a comeback. It's a lefty publication but the online version of the American prospect has an excellent 10 page article about what is going on and the future of organised labor..

That post was too windy, it's just we in the Northeast take powerful unions for granted. It's scary on the national level though. 400 Million dollars and hundereds of thousands of volunteers and still no card check...

That post was too windy, it's just we in the Northeast take powerful unions for granted. It's scary on the national level though. 400 Million dollars and hundereds of thousands of volunteers and still no card check...

Unions grew to be very powerful without card check. The problem with the labor movement is the leadership, they have failed to diagnose why many don't see value in being union. Look at us, we pay $700 a year for a deal that worse than many Non-union deals in this industry. They look at us the same way a rancher looks at cattle. Yet they still claim they dont know why there are two drives to replace them. They tell us we are screwed because of the way BK law has been interpreted but do absolutely nothing to change the most egregious part of it. But them will spend millions trying to change other laws on organizing that really havent changed in over 50 years.

Unions grew to be very powerful without card check. The problem with the labor movement is the leadership, they have failed to diagnose why many don't see value in being union. Look at us, we pay $700 a year for a deal that worse than many Non-union deals in this industry. They look at us the same way a rancher looks at cattle. Yet they still claim they dont know why there are two drives to replace them. They tell us we are screwed because of the way BK law has been interpreted but do absolutely nothing to change the most egregious part of it. But them will spend millions trying to change other laws on organizing that really havent changed in over 50 years.
Exactly, they want to play politics on the surface which is an easy game, but have no balls to do what is required to effect real change. The leaders will just keep playing the political game of who has the most money for campaign financing and lobbying, knowing damn well that for every dollar labor spends, the opposition spends eleven dollars. The reason the leaders do this? They are appointed, and unaccountable, and have not suffered like the worker has. They have lost nothing, and never will. In fact their pay and benefits have risen and they are happy and content. As long as they have thiers, and the politicians keep them close and allow them to testify on matters, make reports on issues, and/or pander to a certain group, then they will never change.

The AFL-CIO just spent money and time representing the illegal immigrant worker on the reform issue. It has been reported the ALF-CIO held out in political negotiations and got the illegal worker a raise via the new path to citizenship initiatve. When they have to represent a non-dues payer in a Right to Work State, they say this wrong, when they represent a non-dues paying illegal, they call this justice. Meanwhile the dues payers get shafted everytime the union negotiates. Hypocrites F 'em All

Exactly, they want to play politics on the surface which is an easy game, but have no balls to do what is required to effect real change. The leaders will just keep playing the political game of who has the most money for campaign financing and lobbying, knowing damn well that for every dollar labor spends, the opposition spends eleven dollars. The reason the leaders do this? They are appointed, and unaccountable, and have not suffered like the worker has. They have lost nothing, and never will. In fact their pay and benefits have risen and they are happy and content. As long as they have thiers, and the politicians keep them close and allow them to testify on matters, make reports on issues, and/or pander to a certain group, then they will never change.

The AFL-CIO just spent money and time representing the illegal immigrant worker on the reform issue. It has been reported the ALF-CIO held out in political negotiations and got the illegal worker a raise via the new path to citizenship initiatve. When they have to represent a non-dues payer in a Right to Work State, they say this wrong, when they represent a non-dues paying illegal, they call this justice. Meanwhile the dues payers get shafted everytime the union negotiates. Hypocrites F 'em All

I agree. By going after things that don't really matter they can sit back and claim they are fighting for us.

I've written to Jim Little several times about how Airlines workers have been segregated for especially harsh treatment under BK through a series of unchallenged rulings, yet he simply refuses to even consider addressing it. Even the pro-management bloggers here don't want to touch it. It should be an easy rallying point and an even easier target but for some reason they don't want to touch it. In BK every entity that has their contract torn up in BK is free to withdraw their product until new terms are drawn up except one, Airline Labor. There is no way that could go through the Supreme Court where the court could retain any credibility whatsoever on the legal stage.

I agree. By going after things that don't really matter they can sit back and claim they are fighting for us.

I've written to Jim Little several times about how Airlines workers have been segregated for especially harsh treatment under BK through a series of unchallenged rulings, yet he simply refuses to even consider addressing it. Even the pro-management bloggers here don't want to touch it. It should be an easy rallying point and an even easier target but for some reason they don't want to touch it. In BK every entity that has their contract torn up in BK is free to withdraw their product until new terms are drawn up except one, Airline Labor. There is no way that could go through the Supreme Court where the court could retain any credibility whatsoever on the legal stage.
Maybe the answer is they are being bought off under the table and their own greed trumps our needs.

I keep an eye on what's happening in the midwest. The latest thing in MI is the exclusivity clause and having to recertify every contract. Right to work is bad news enough. I live in NewHampshire now and the legislature flipped after they even went after cops and firemen. Sometimes I just wish there was a true labor party instead of pandering to people to whom we are becoming irrelevent. Imagine our cause being taken up with the same zeal as the marriage debate. AMFA was doomed at NW when the federal government gave it's blessing and the other unions went along, not because of an inherrent flaw in what they were doing.

Back