The Very Best Flight Attendants In Our Industry

:eek: ...Something is visible and obvious...like a forest...and not just the trees...

In reading the letters from March 30 from AA Corporate to the Union Representatives (who refused to sign their names, btw)....something is obvious to 'we who are just passengers' and not affiliated with either the AMR, or the Union is apparent.

These issues ARE real.......I have made the same comments about the flight attendants on American to my other half, after a long trip or a short one day flight.

I have made the same comments about the flight attendants on other Airlines when flying introduced to their 'corporate faces' on short or long haul flights; especially when they are complaining about lost wages, etc.

However, I choose to fly American because of the AAdvantage program and cities serviced; I'm a Gold member.

I have noticed the steady decline in service and 'friendliness' by the FAs that are a particular type of FA; and these are not only on AA flights, they're everywhere in the industry.

I have noticed the steady increase in service and 'friendliness' by the FAs on the JetBlues, SWA and ATA. They too are everywhere...and making progress to the chagrin of AMR.

The only distinctions I can make about these FAs on all airlines are:
1. The FAs on the flights who are complaining are my age or older (Over 50)
2. The FAs on the other airline flights who are NOT complaining and who are truly happy to be there, are folks who are 'newer to the airline industry'.

Let's look at it this way...as with anyone in any industry who plays the same piano day in and day out....You get tired of hearing yourself play the same tune. So stop playing the piano. Get out and go do something else.

Last year, I too was unemployed; had to sell my home in Calif and move to Tx to start a new life...it's change..it's not the end of the world.

I'll bottom line two take-aways for you.....
1. If you're tired of hearing the music of your own company tryng to be successful, then you're too tired to play in the company orchestra.

AND for those who are easy to critisize, but afraid to reveal their faces..

2. Anyone or any organization which claims to represent hundreds of thousands of others, yet can't sign their name to a rebuttal....shouldn't be permitted to represent those who WILL sign their names. You're a disgrace to your mission.

I hope these observations help you as FA decide what you should do in your life.
I hope these observations help those Union representatives to put a face behind a deflected rebuttal such as was shown here on March 30, 2004.

My name is Don

FlyzAlot said:
Union Representatives (who refused to sign their names, btw)...

2. Anyone or any organization which claims to represent hundreds of thousands of others, yet can't sign their name to a rebuttal....
I intentionally redacted their names, for privacy concerns, from my initial post. The original letter was signed by those four individuals.

Flyzalot,
To be fair, I think you should know, we all know who the Union reps are who signed that letter. In fact you can check the names out yourself at APFA.org
The problem at AA has been decades in the brewing, I worked for Continental, Northwest, and a couple of other carriers before AA. (not always as an F/A). But only at AA have I ever seen such a division and a disregard for employees and lack of respect. The company culture is what needs to be changed, which will never happen in our lifetime, (unless maybe we can convince Herb K. to help us :)

AAStew said:
Flyzalot,
To be fair, I think you should know, we all know who the Union reps are who signed that letter. In fact you can check the names out yourself at APFA.org
The problem at AA has been decades in the brewing, I worked for Continental, Northwest, and a couple of other carriers before AA. (not always as an F/A). But only at AA have I ever seen such a division and a disregard for employees and lack of respect. The company culture is what needs to be changed, which will never happen in our lifetime, (unless maybe we can convince Herb K. to help us :)
Well, if change will never happen (according to you), then maybe it's time to move on and stop making the customers miserable. Go work where you are appreciated and not abused. You've worked elsewhere, so it's not like you're in love with the notion of working for AA. Buh-Bye. B)

I fly AA transcon for business quite a bit (just hit Platinum) and work for, shall we say, a major media conglomerate in Times Square. I also have a close friend who is an AA F/A, based at JFK.

I have to say that I can't remember one instance where the convenants of good service were broken. Sometimes the service is perfunctory and adequate (which I've seen everywhere, even at times on JetBlue), but there are a good number of F/A's that I see that are happy to be there, doing their best, regardless of how the work environment has degraded. And believe me, I hear what life has been like after concessions (five hours sleep, etc.).

What I don't care for, however, is that AA has our corporate travel dept. by the balls. I'm extremely limited in my choice of carriers, and when it come to LAX, it MUST be AA. When I've pressed the travel dept. as to why I can't book a LCC if I wanted to, sometimes at a far lower cost to my budget, they say we have our preferred carriers because of several reasons, e.g. "great back-end incentives" and half-truths about the LCC's. Sure wish those incentives trickled down to my department's bottom line.

I've never heard an AA employee discussing company business in flight. While flying with my friend, who was purser, however, he apologized to our flight that service would be a bit slower than usual because they were down two F/A's (and we took an hour delay while they pulled one off another flight to make ours legal). His announcement didn't go into why the staffing was so low; those in-the-know or who could figure it out knew why, and those who aren't/didn't, just took it as service that was not as good as it should have been.

FWAAA or whatever you go by, I am not going anywhere. My attitude towards my pax's is great, towards the company it is not the greatest. YOu sure do have an attitude though. DO you write these posts from work on AA time? Or do you just wish you worked for an airline? You can't be a business traveler because most of the business people I have seen have way too much to do than post on this site about things so trivial to them.
As for me, I am on sick leave with a hell of alot of time on my hands until medical clears me, but I am looking forward to going back, not for the money, but because I honestly enjoy what I do.
Buh-bye.

FWAAA said:
Well, if change will never happen (according to you), then maybe it's time to move on and stop making the customers miserable. Go work where you are appreciated and not abused. You've worked elsewhere, so it's not like you're in love with the notion of working for AA. Buh-Bye. B)
Yeah, I remember, "You should be lucky you have a job". Resonses from people
like you make me want to slap your silly face. We LOVE what we do!!! And expect to be treated with respect, our job is to get you butt off the plane ---your comments are repulsive and indicative of your
"snooping, having an agenda attitude" With what you do on your flights, I would be remiss to not keep an eye on you around my children--- sicko snooping peeping Tom :wacko: Customers like YOU abuse us

woztwa,
I doubt very much that this person has flown over 500 paid miles in his life. He likes to get off on his pseudo character here on the board. Probably has applied to every airline in the world but has failed the psychological profile! This is why he is so upset about our complaints! Thank goodness for these boards where he can live his fantasy world and not actually hurt anyone in the process!

woztwa said:
Yeah, I remember, "You should be lucky you have a job". Resonses from people
like you make me want to slap your silly face. We LOVE what we do!!! And expect to be treated with respect, our job is to get you butt off the plane ---your comments are repulsive and indicative of your
"snooping, having an agenda attitude" With what you do on your flights, I would be remiss to not keep an eye on you around my children--- sicko snooping peeping Tom :wacko: Customers like YOU abuse us
Fortunately, you represent a small minority of the wonderful AA employees I encounter. Hope you are eventually recalled. B)

AAStew said:
woztwa,
I doubt very much that this person has flown over 500 paid miles in his life. He likes to get off on his pseudo character here on the board. Probably has applied to every airline in the world but has failed the psychological profile! This is why he is so upset about our complaints! Thank goodness for these boards where he can live his fantasy world and not actually hurt anyone in the process!
Yeah, that's it.

Get well soon. And I hope I never encounter you on one of my flights. B)

TransWorldONE said:
It seems as if the union is missing the perfect opportunity to bring attention to the plight of the AA f/a's by not quickly responding to this letter.
Duh!

Of course, you can go to the AApfa website to see the press release regarding the union's outrage over Tiliacos' letter. Problem is, as far as I can tell the "release" was only to the website, not to any of the news media who carried Tiliacos' letter initially.

TransWorldONE said:
It seems as if the union is missing the perfect opportunity to bring attention to the plight of the AA f/a's by not quickly responding to this letter.
GE,

My post, which started this thread, includes both the letter from Tiliacos and the response by the APFA representatives.

Reading the thread since my last posted reply about the 'forest and trees' on 4/14 has further represented my case.

People, we have to truly adopt positive energy and spirited representation from both the FA and the union members to keep AA flying. That positive spirit is what your customers (including myself) relish the most.

We all know that things are fluid and not going to be perfect. But if we can find the silver lining to each of those clouds day in and day out (wouldn't that be perfect), or as often as possible......then you won't appear to be a negative downer type of person to your customers.

Positive energy attracts positive people...so if you have negative customers on your flights, your positive energy will change them a little. Just that friendly smile can change the mood a grumpy passenger into an introspective mood....hopefully, that shift in mood will let that passenger think about something positive and get past the negative thought which has held them down.

Try it...you'll like it.

Thanks for reading this and I am attaching 'positive energy' in the most sincerest form to this message.

Latest posts

Back