International Interpreter Program

CLTBWIDAYSYR

Senior
Aug 20, 2002
Here's the text of an email I got from AFA in Charlotte--it's a letter from Tom Kilheeney, CLT base manager. I have heard from more than one person that these new employees will be paid more than most full-time employees with an average annual wage of $45K. That would really have me peeved if I was a language-speaking agent or flight attendant making far less than that. Any truth to it?

Subject: Portuguese Interpreters

As we continue to fine tune our service to/from GIG, we recognize the
importance of having language-qualified employees to support the operation
and overall customer service experience. In recognizing this and in an effort
to better support the needs of our Airport Customer Service Agents and
InFlight crews, we have created a new International Interpreter position here
in CLT. This coming weekend, four Interpreters will complete their initial
training program and, beginning Saturday, 1/23, will be available to support
our Customer Service team in the departure lounge and, in the event a LOD/O
Flight Attendant is not scheduled, our InFlight crews onboard the aircraft.
Please keep in mind that an Interpreter will only be scheduled to travel
onboard a flight when a LOD/O Flight Attendant is not onboard. If scheduled
to be onboard, the Interpreter will follow the direction of the Cabin Service
Director and in no way is permitted to complete safety or service- related
Flight Attendant duties. The Interpreter will be assigned a customer seat on
both the outbound and return flights.

Additional information about the role of the Interpreter and the manner in
which they may be able to assist our InFlight crews will be provided during
the pre-flight briefings on flights departing to GIG. We hope you find our
professional team of Interpreters to be of great support on flights where a
LOD/O Flight Attendant is not onboard.

Thank you very much.

Here's the text of an email I got from AFA in Charlotte--it's a letter from Tom Kilheeney, CLT base manager. I have heard from more than one person that these new employees will be paid more than most full-time employees with an average annual wage of $45K. That would really have me peeved if I was a language-speaking agent or flight attendant making far less than that. Any truth to it?

Subject: Portuguese Interpreters

As we continue to fine tune our service to/from GIG, we recognize the
importance of having language-qualified employees to support the operation
and overall customer service experience. In recognizing this and in an effort
to better support the needs of our Airport Customer Service Agents and
InFlight crews, we have created a new International Interpreter position here
in CLT. This coming weekend, four Interpreters will complete their initial
training program and, beginning Saturday, 1/23, will be available to support
our Customer Service team in the departure lounge and, in the event a LOD/O
Flight Attendant is not scheduled, our InFlight crews onboard the aircraft.
Please keep in mind that an Interpreter will only be scheduled to travel
onboard a flight when a LOD/O Flight Attendant is not onboard. If scheduled
to be onboard, the Interpreter will follow the direction of the Cabin Service
Director and in no way is permitted to complete safety or service- related
Flight Attendant duties. The Interpreter will be assigned a customer seat on
both the outbound and return flights.

Additional information about the role of the Interpreter and the manner in
which they may be able to assist our InFlight crews will be provided during
the pre-flight briefings on flights departing to GIG. We hope you find our
professional team of Interpreters to be of great support on flights where a
LOD/O Flight Attendant is not onboard.

Thank you very much.
I'm not positive if they make more but I wouldn't doubt it. Interpreters for in demand languages make VERY good money.

I don't see why that would make any language qualified agent or f/a mad. Everyone had the chance to bid into the lodo program for this language.

First, you have to ask yourself...Do I know for a fact that we already have Portuguese speaking gate agents and flight attendants? And, are they based in CLT? (Maybe, you have some speakers at PHL, and maybe they aren't willing to transfer to CLT.) Do we have enough to cover every flight every day? (Even we f/as have a few limitations on how many days and hours we can have on duty. :lol:)

IIRC, we (AA) had a similar situation at ORD when they started the flights to Moscow. We did not have enough Russian speakers for the flights or the gate activities; so, the company had to hire some speakers with the same restrictions that are noted in the above memo. When on the a/c, they could do nothing except make p/as as directed by the purser and interpret for the f/as.

And, when the company decided to end the service to Moscow, they were all layed off.

As far as the pay rate...if they are not union employees, the market rate for speakers applies. I would imagine that in Charlotte, NC, you probably don't have Portuguese speakers on every corner.

There are currently 7 Portuguese LOD/Os and they all were transferred from PHL. Two more LOD/Os from LGA will be joining the program in February which makes 7 blockholders and 2 reserves. There are at least 3 more Portuguese qualified F/A who don't want to join the program for different reasons.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't see why that would make any language qualified agent or f/a mad. Everyone had the chance to bid into the lodo program for this language.
Um, because the language qualified flight attendants and agents are both interpreting AND working while being paid less than these new employees.

Um, because the language qualified flight attendants and agents are both interpreting AND working while being paid less than these new employees.

Do you really believe that this low budget outfit would pay an entry level employee 45K a year to speak portuguese and that's it! It's not true, and the funny thing is I've heard that the Hebrew Interpretors were making 70K!! :lol: I know for a fact their salary is well below 20K and that's not just for flying the trips but also assisting in customs/gate/baggage claim duties throughout the month also.

There are currently 7 Portuguese LOD/Os and they all were transferred from PHL. Two more LOD/Os from LGA will be joining the program in February which makes 7 blockholders and 2 reserves. There are at least 3 more Portuguese qualified F/A who don't want to join the program for different reasons.

That is not enough speakers to cover daily service. Most widebodies need at least 2 speakers per trip. Now, on a flight to South America, a crew is gone for 3 days or close to it. I'm sure your contract does not allow them to fly again with no time off at all. And, at some point the pitiful FAA protections for f/as come into play.

And, the f/as I'm quite sure are not allowed to interpret for the gate agents prior to/during boarding since none of us are paid during that period. If they did get paid, other f/as would be screaming bloody murder (I know I would).

In fact, with what you have listed and the company memo saying 4 non-f/a speakers were in training, I still don't think you have enough. Brazilians, particularly of the First Class variety, get very het up if they don't like their seat, or the delay, or the fact that the sun rose this morning. :shock:

They treaded the few LODOs they had like crap and 3 gave the 90 day opt out notice. It's in our contract no hiring off the street if we have ANYONE on furlough. Company comes prancing around like Prissy off Gone With The Wind last year wanting to hire. We told them sure- give us decent crew rest in exchange on TLV. They said NO WAY. We told them no LODOs off the street. They don't get it and never will.

Lawzy, we got to have a LODO. I don't know nothin' 'bout spekaing no Portuguese
:rolleyes: