Things Are About To Get Ugly

I agree completely with you on that point. I also think that no work group(s) should delude themselves that they are safe.

mweiss said:
You must not be a pilot, or you wouldn't even consider making such a comment.
Once the airplane is in the air, a private pilot with a couple of hundred hours could easily fly one of those aircraft. Grab the wheel and steer it like the "monkeys" did.

Borescope said:
Once the airplane is in the air, a private pilot with a couple of hundred hours could easily fly one of those aircraft.
Doesn't even need a couple hundred hours in most regards.

However, cruise flying is not typically the reason for having the people in the cockpit. It's the landing that's the really hard part.

Borescope,

That's a good one, thanks! :up: These pilots think that flying is the envy of all, but the romance of aviation is dead. All they do now days is pilot a bus with wings on it LOL :lol: .People could care less WHO is flying or what they are flying on. They don't give two Sh&*ts what airline they are flying on. All they care about is gettig there on time, in one piece, and at the cheapest damn fair they can get. Oh, and one thing they really hate is getting there and not having a fricking bag!!! :down:

Working in the AVIONICS field, half the time these guys on those new planes can't even understand some of the systems. Hell you can jump in a 777 and hit the auto start and off you can go. With the basics of navigation, knowing how to tune radios and program a FLT Plan all you need to do is turn on the A/P and sit back and read the paper just like a REAL pilot. Then on final, turn on that auto land sit back and relax and enjoy the ride. GOD help me if an engine quits though, then it's GO/AROUND city and call for HELP LOL :shock:

I've done it a few times in the UAL sims, even took a 777 under the golden gate bridge once :blink:

Ahh, another one of those mechanics who takes a few spins in a sim and decides that flying one of these things is trivial. :rolleyes:

You don't even have the first inkling.

<_< Question?------ When a pilot engages the "Auto-Pliot", Who, or is it Whom, is flying the Aircraft? Answeer: "Maintenance"! And how often do they do this? Answeer: Quit often!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I hope you fix planes better than you spell, or we're all in real trouble.

Look, I'm not interested in getting into a pissing match with anyone. My point was, and remains, that a pilot's job is not trivial. The funny thing is, whenever I mention that, it's always the mechanics that try to push the "glorified bus driver" metaphor.

You'll note that nowhere did I suggest that AMTs are nothing more than glorified JiffyLube workers.

<_< Yea, my spelling sucks! But it go'es beyond you here ! Just a question to prove my point! Who was the Wright Bro.s mechanic??? If you get it right, you are one of the few who do! Oh! I've been fixing them for 35+ years!!!!

IIRC, the Wright Brothers fixed their own aircraft. But what's your point? The airplanes don't fix themselves, and they don't fly themselves, and they don't load themselves, and they don't fuel themselves, and they don't schedule themselves, and they don't collect fares...

The whole "My job is the only important one at the airline" pissing match is just stupid.

737nCH11 said:
You forgot to add watching some sadsack mechanic wander out to the aircraft to fix an item we called into maintenance a half hour before, and after repeated calls it finally took a supervisor to get somebody out there. Maybe it's hard to pry you folks off the crapper reading your new copy of SI, or maybe you're just sitting in the breakroom enjoying that fresh baked Krispy Kreme doughnut. Oh, or maybe you are knocking off for lunch at 11:00 am and not coming back for the rest of the day, ala the punch clock fiasco of the late 90s. Don't pat yourself too hard on the back too hard Ronin. When's the last time you looked in the mirror.

Just started getting caught up on some topics.

The reason you wait is because since the R&D was given to ramp they have 1 mechanic covering multiple gates. You might just be waiting your turn. The superviser only cares how he/she looks. Not if you get out of town on time or safe.

Actually there was quite a bit of humor in my post. I was just pointing out the fact that Ronin has deep disdain for other employee groups while holding his fellow AMFA members up on a pedestal. I think that is an unhealthy attitude.

I have had my disagreements with decisions made by other employee groups in the past, but those were issues that were important to them and not necessarily to ALPA. I don't hold grudges, and I realize that it will always be each work group for themselves.

P.S. A while ago I said that we had the best damn mechanics in the industry, and I still wholeheartedly stand by that claim.

:down: mwess-----WRONG! The man who built the Wright Bro.'s Engine was a man named Charles Taylar!! He was an employee of the Wright Bros. Built it in three weeks using only a small lathe, drill press, and hand tools! This engine was on the Wright's flyer at Kittey Hawk! Produced 14 H.P. The F.A.A. has created an award called the Charles Taylar award for mechanics that can document at least 50 years Aircraft experiance! I am prileged to say I work with several here at MCI.

Latest posts