Thinking about applying for United....suggestions?

True story about Southwest:

An f/a who wanted to fly internationally at the time of UA's glory days left SW and joined the friendly skies. About one year into the job, 9/11 happened and she was placed on furlough. She reapplied at SW.

Guess what? Instead of getting the boot, they took her back and gave her the same seniority she had before she left. Now that's what I call building loyalty.

You can bet that she will never leave SW again.
Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Now that the precedent has been set anyone can quit WN and test the waters elsewhere, knowing that they can always go back and reclaim their seniority.

I doubt the union would go along with this, but this may be one of those stories that is from my sisters boyfriends brothers daughters sibling, whose mother is a FA for Ethiopian Airlines and knows the father of a FA that used to work at Morse Air before Southwest bought them.

I'm calling BS on this seniority issue. :down:

It sounds odd to me too.

I can't imagine the other SW F/As going along with that (unless there is something like a specific provision in the contract allowing that if someone returns before a certain amount of time has elapsed they keep their seniority).

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Now that the precedent has been set anyone can quit WN and test the waters elsewhere, knowing that they can always go back and reclaim their seniority.

I doubt the union would go along with this, but this may be one of those stories that is from my sisters boyfriends brothers daughters sibling, whose mother is a FA for Ethiopian Airlines and knows the father of a FA that used to work at Morse Air before Southwest bought them.

I cant speak for the flight attendants but when I was a ramp agent for WN in PHX there was another agent that had quit the company and a year later decided to come back. WN not only hired him back they hired him back at the same wage he was making when he quit, the one thing they didn't do was they didn't honor his seniority, he had to start at the bottom like all the other new hires.

Coming for US Airways I couldnt believe they would do such a thing. As far as the Union was concerned they could care less who the company hires as long as their getting their union dues.

Greetings! I am currently a US Airways FA of 3 years. I am thinking of applying to United Airlines for the opportunity to travel internationally. What do you guys/gals say??

PS..i want to be SFO or DCA/IAD/BWI based

Comeflywithme (28/m)
RUMOR ONLY, WE US AIRWAYS Are Mergeing With UAL, Where has Doug Parker Been this Week? Chicago Ill. Talking with UAL.
Stay With US AIRWAYS let the Ripple's of The Wave's Ebb's & flow's settle then Make Your MOve. Hang in there. Have some Paitience. Take it Easy.
:up:

RUMOR ONLY, WE US AIRWAYS Are Mergeing With UAL, Where has Doug Parker Been this Week? Chicago Ill. Talking with UAL.
Stay With US AIRWAYS let the Ripple's of The Wave's Ebb's & flow's settle then Make Your MOve. Hang in there. Have some Paitience. Take it Easy.
:up:
I've been hearing this a lot recently. US East will merge with UA and West will be stAApled to CO or NW. Hmmmmm....

Don't shoot the messenger. I heard this from a reputable source whom I trust. I don't think 9/11, as well as many of the decisions that were made as a result of it, are precedents that are likely to repeat themselves. I know UA's union was extremely generous to me when 9/11 happened. I wouldn't have gotten out of UA without it.

I've been hearing this a lot recently. US East will merge with UA and West will be stAApled to CO or NW. Hmmmmm....
Please DIAL 911,Let the Guy's with the WHITE jacket's take you Home. Your Missing the Main Point.
US AIRWAYS/AWA Will Be ONE AIRLINE September.So How Can You SELL OFF & DIVIDE an Airline, that is AN AIRLINE? HMMM? :shock:

Please DIAL 911,Let the Guy's with the WHITE jacket's take you Home. Your Missing the Main Point.
US AIRWAYS/AWA Will Be ONE AIRLINE September.So How Can You SELL OFF & DIVIDE an Airline, that is AN AIRLINE? HMMM? :shock:

Eastern Shuttle->Trump Shuttle->US Airways Shuttle
Pan Am Atlantic-> Delta
Pan Am- Pacific-> United
Pan Am Shuttle-> Delta Shuttle

To name a few... and these actually were one airline. America West currently is simply a wholly owned subsidiary like Piedmont and PSA except it operates as US Airways, not US Airways Express. Still two certificates that operate quite independently, either could be easily split off. Sure our mgmt is daft but over two years to merge two small airlines like US and HP? Hmmmm

Utter nonsense. I have been at several meetings over the course of the past year and a half in which United's Senior Executives were in attendance. When the subject of consolidation came up, it was repeatedly stated that there are only two airlines on UA's radar screen: CO and DL. The chances of a combination with either of them is remote until perhaps, the next industry downturn occurs. UA desires to combine with a company that has a strong international presence from NYC and a strong Latin American presence. Neither of which US can bring to the table. US would be of little value to the gaps in United's global network...

I had an interview with UAL scheduled for last week, but after comparing their contract to Continental's, I canceled it. Why would anyone work for UAL and start at $17.50 (which, by the way, is the starting rate for many express carriers) when they can work for Continental at $19.50 an hour? Also, Continental gives a pretty significant jump by $3 an hour on the second year. Their contract blows UAL's out of the water AND Continental retained their pension plans. I know Continental has some sh!tty base locations, but to me it is simple economics -- you pick the company where you make the most money, have the most secure future, and the obtain best retirement package.

1. All new UA hires are being assigned to IAD.

2. WN is NOT hiring f/as at this time.

Wrong and Wrong!

1. United has hired this year in BOS, JFK, IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX, & LAS. They also had transfer to London but no new hire classes there (after 6 months you can transfer). You can be hater but at least be truthful. Where are the CAL bases again, there are so many I forgot. EWR and IAH, right?

2. SW is hiring.

As to the next poster about pay........the override pay makes up the difference in CAL and UAL pay, so the pay is the same. $tinky.

Well, the first bit of advice I'd give you is to get out of this industry if you've got any chance at all of finding another career choice. During my 17 years in the industry with two different airlines, it was my opinion that flight attendants were taken advantage of more than any other job group. When I first started back in the late 80's, it was still a fun and exciting industry to work in. But so much has changed since then. The airline industry was in my blood. But after taking an endless stream of pay and benefit cuts and always striving to stay one step ahead of the Pink Slip Grim Reaper, I just had enough. I was tired of having my friends outside the industry have their career paths going upwards while mine continued to go in the opposite direction. I was fortunate to get a great opportunity in another sector of the transportation industry. My pay and benefits already far surpass what I left at United and I don't have to fear for my job every day. So I feel extremely lucky. It was the best decision I ever made. There's very little that I miss. Mostly the people. And the flying benefits. Although, given the load factors these days, it seems a crapshoot to get on a flight anyhow.

But if you're truly intent on making it your career, be very wary about leaving the job you currently have to go to United. You need to read the tea leaves closely. UA's Senior Management team has no interest in doing anything other than selling or merging UA with the first airline that comes along and indicates a willingness to do a deal. They have no desire at running an airline. They're merely hanging on until they can cash in and get their fat payday off the backs of the employees. Given that, it's completely possible that you could leave America West and go to UA, only to see the two merge and your new-hire status with UA being your ticket to unemployment. You just need to realize the gamble you'd be making and accept the potential consequences. Seniority is everything. I'd protect that at all costs rather than start over from scratch for an airline that has no control over its future so long as the current inept management team is running the show.

Best of luck to you. Whatever you do, be sure and thoroughly research it before making a decision.

Latest posts