This doesn't seem fair.

Fly4Free

Veteran
May 31, 2006
Wherever.
Visit site
I hope I'm not whining, nor do I want to seem like the type that does.. but when it comes to my advancement and "moving up" in the company, don't I have some right to complain?

Here's the deal. There's a few promotional opportunities in the dept. where I work. Well, there's a certain supervisor (mine) that won't let any of us go for those opportunities. His reasoning is there are only 20 of us in this part of the department. It's not really my fault for their lack of staffing, nor do I feel like any of us should suffer because of it. I am rather disappointed and discouraged as to whether or not he'll let me apply for other jobs in the department.. all this "we would be happy if you advanced in your career" said to me at orientation earlier this year turns out to be all rubbish. I figured hey, if I can't get ahead by switching departments, let's try to get ahead in the department I'm in.

NOPE.

I hope I'm not whining, nor do I want to seem like the type that does.. but when it comes to my advancement and "moving up" in the company, don't I have some right to complain?

Here's the deal. There's a few promotional opportunities in the dept. where I work. Well, there's a certain supervisor (mine) that won't let any of us go for those opportunities. His reasoning is there are only 20 of us in this part of the department. It's not really my fault for their lack of staffing, nor do I feel like any of us should suffer because of it. I am rather disappointed and discouraged as to whether or not he'll let me apply for other jobs in the department.. all this "we would be happy if you advanced in your career" said to me at orientation earlier this year turns out to be all rubbish. I figured hey, if I can't get ahead by switching departments, let's try to get ahead in the department I'm in.

NOPE.

apply for the job and keep advancing and then fire his a@@!

Are you kidding? I'll never get ahead in the company then.

If you can prove that, you have a retaliation lawsuit.

Talk to your ER Manager, it will be held in confidence.

No one can make you not apply for another position in the company. If you can prove that to your ER Manager, then your boss is in heap big trouble.

Apply! Apply! Apply! Heck, if you're so valuable to him and needs you around so badly, what's he going to do, fire you? Not.

However, you might want to have a serious talk with your supervisor. Come well-prepared and explain that while you appreciate the opportunity you have working for him/her, that because of your experience, education, personal fulfillment or what ever, you're going to be looking to move upwards and onwards. Be sure to empathize with you supervisor and acknowledge his/her predictament when it comes to number of employees around. Do not blame him/her or the company for the shortage of bodies, just acknowledge that you, too, realize the situation -- as it exists. Let him/her know that you appreciate his/her support and the fact that they value you as an employee, but that when you took this job that you were embarking on a career with lots oppotunities for advancement. Express that you thought he/she knew that this wasn't a permanent position for you and that you would really like their support and understanding.

Then, if they tell you that you can't apply for another postion they really look like an idiot. And you should apply anyways. And then when you supe has a problem with it, you can always say that you found it difficult to work for a supe that couldn't support you. Keep in mind that a supe that won't support you in your career pursuits probably won't support you in anything else either and will be quick to blame you and not take any responsibility should any questions about your job and your performance ever arise.

IIRC, at HP, you only have to be in a position 90 days before you can make a lateral move -- if it's a promotion, I don't think you have to wait for any length of time. Also, I belive the policy stated that you didn't have to tell anyone you were applying, just had to advise your supe that you were having the interview, when you got it. And even then, you are under no obligation to say for what job. You can say, "I want it so badly and I don't want to jinx it, so I'd rather not say at this time!" And your supe is supposed to allow you the time off to interview, as long as you agree to make up the time. Again, if I'm remembering correctly.

Good luck!

If you can prove that, you have a retaliation lawsuit.

Talk to your ER Manager, it will be held in confidence.

No one can make you not apply for another position in the company. If you can prove that to your ER Manager, then your boss is in heap big trouble.

Retaliation for what? Usually the employee had to do something first in order for the company to retaliate. (i.e. told the fed's on them for something or acted as a witness against the company or leaked private company info).

Just apply for the job. You forget that someone more powerful than your supervisor may be desperate for people and if you are qualified and needed than he or she may make sure that you get the job.

Retaliation for what? Usually the employee had to do something first in order for the company to retaliate. (i.e. told the fed's on them for something or acted as a witness against the company or leaked private company info).
If you file a discrimination claim against your company, and you get treated adversely for it, you can sue their asses off.

The problem is proving retaliation.

Piney, as for blackballing, etc. you have to know the laws regarding retaliation, and HR will know to give the supervisor one hell of a sitdown to explain to them that they will not pull any shenanigans, or its his ass.

I say go ahead, if they do retaliate, and you can prove it, you own them.

I'm not sure obviously of US Airways internal policies but most well managed companies will at least allow you to apply for advancement without your direct supervisors approval.

Check with HR as I'm betting that's the case. Also most companies state that you have to be in your current assignment at least one full year and have your managers approval to transfer out.

If you get one of these positions and he/she won't let you go then you've created an internal political issue and that could easily work in your favor.

Just remember US Airways isn't the only employer in the free world. If this boss won't work with you then find a new job and when you leave make sure you tell him to his/her face why.

Best of luck
It's 3 months for lateral move @ us airways. 1 year for same-payscale move. You have to inform supervisor that you applied for a position. (Mostly because if they get a call and they have no idea, they'd sound all dumb.. haha.. just messing..)

I am a union employee.. from other posts I've seen here.. so maybe it may be a bit different now. I wasn't when i started.

I applied for a job at SSR and HR send me the decline letter saying they want me to gain more time at US Airways. This was a low-paying Grade 23 position, higher than I'm being paid now.

I've sent you my resume, I'm sure it's not the best, but I should be able to at least get a job where I can support software / hardware over the phone. I've been a team lead, I've managed Anhesuer-Busch's network, heck.. I've even ran my own company. (Sucessful while I was in MO.. my move here killed it.)

Again, please don't take this as whining and moaning.. if I am, maybe it's because I have something on my chest and I just need to vent. Thank you for the advice you provided and I hope things at work at least quiet down and let me do my job instead of hearing I can't apply for internal positions.

How? Discrimination based on what?
If your boss is going against the rules and not allowing you to interview, and then retaliates against you for doing it, he is discriminating against you. You are being treated adversely based upon non job related reasons.

NOPE.

Your supervisor may be able to do what he can to keep people from getting promoted (like not giving you a good reference to a hiring manager), but he CANT stop you from applying for new jobs. There is nothing that says your boss has to give you permission to apply--you should just tell him, out of courtesy, that you are applying.

If he refuses to let you apply, I would talk to somebody in HR.

Fly4Free, I feel for you. It took me a while to move out, but I had a sup that actively supported me moving on up which helps quite a bit. It seems to me from your posts that you've got a good head on your shoulders, some good work experience, and a great attitude. Who wouldn't want you in their department? Breath, earlyretiree, and rjh have excellent pointers. If I were you, and at one point I was, I would worry more about my own house. Stick to your guns, keep your chin up, and apply, apply, apply.

Some advice a C-level gave out a while ago was if you want to move around, do it, and let people know. You want to get back into IT? Find a manager in that department and let them know how much you'd like to work there, to learn from them, and grow professionally. God knows they could use some competent help.

If you file a discrimination claim against your company, and you get treated adversely for it, you can sue their asses off.

Ah... makes more sense now. The poster was complaining of not being able to advance; I thought you were suggesting that he could sue for retaliation now under the current situation.

It makes perfect sense now that you explained that he could sue for retaliation after hypothetical discrimination, a hypothetical discrimination lawsuit, and hypothetical adverse treatment after the hypothetical discrimination lawsuit.

Latest posts

Back