Your left hand has no idea what your right hand is doing.

Whatever happened here has nothing to do with the merger. In fact what you got is Old US system, with Old US people and policies and you everyone ask why they are spending time and money to try and educate the front line that they can fix things!

How about spending some time and money to train people, not "FIX THINGS". If people were trained properly from the start, the rest of us wouldnt have to worry about fixing things all the time. Take some of the $300 mil and get some more training in place. Oh, thats right, we dont expect anyone to stay more than a year or so, so why bother to train them (and give them the tools to do their job?). Just get them thru class and out on the floor so it looks like we have people out there. Too bad not too many of them know whats going on. We went to the two weeks of "new hire" training to work QIK and we could have done it in about 5 days. The rest of the time was sit around and wait. We asked our insturctor questions he couldnt answer because he taught "new hire" training and didnt know the answer. He was surprised at some of the questions we were asking him. "Why would you ask that?" was one of his responses. Because in the 20 years I've been here, its happened and I want to know what to do when it happens again. I dont think we ever got an answer.
After about 7 months of playing on the QIK system we felt like we were stupid so we asked to go to PHX to get some more training/updates. We asked the training dept for some advanced books or info that we could look at and bring back to the station to pass around since we were having problems in certain areas. There wasnt much "advanced" training to bring back and I actually felt sorry for the agents we were assigned to work with. They were nice people, but really didnt seem to know too much about their system and how it worked other than the keys they used day after day for checkin. I dont know if it was just a PHX thing or if its like that systemwide.
Sad part is I dont think they really want the agents to be able to do much. Just check in and hope they dont have a deal. (Which in case they do, you call the help desk, and after waiting for what seems like an eternity, hope someone there knows what book to look up the answer in.). I cant wait until they start getting more international and Star problems and try to do them on QIK with the current training system in place. You think things are a cluster now. Just wait, I can only imagine how its going to work in a few more months. :down:

Sad part is I dont think they really want the agents to be able to do much. Just check in and hope they dont have a deal. (Which in case they do, you call the help desk, and after waiting for what seems like an eternity, hope someone there knows what book to look up the answer in.). I cant wait until they start getting more international and Star problems and try to do them on QIK with the current training system in place. You think things are a cluster now. Just wait, I can only imagine how its going to work in a few more months. :down:
HP has known concept of what an international airline is like when it comes to customer service functions. That is why that kept AL and Dona ????????

How about spending some time and money to train people, not "FIX THINGS". If people were trained properly from the start, the rest of us wouldnt have to worry about fixing things all the time. Take some of the $300 mil and get some more training in place. Oh, thats right, we dont expect anyone to stay more than a year or so, so why bother to train them (and give them the tools to do their job?). Just get them thru class and out on the floor so it looks like we have people out there. Too bad not too many of them know whats going on. We went to the two weeks of "new hire" training to work QIK and we could have done it in about 5 days. The rest of the time was sit around and wait. We asked our insturctor questions he couldnt answer because he taught "new hire" training and didnt know the answer. He was surprised at some of the questions we were asking him. "Why would you ask that?" was one of his responses. Because in the 20 years I've been here, its happened and I want to know what to do when it happens again. I dont think we ever got an answer.
After about 7 months of playing on the QIK system we felt like we were stupid so we asked to go to PHX to get some more training/updates. We asked the training dept for some advanced books or info that we could look at and bring back to the station to pass around since we were having problems in certain areas. There wasnt much "advanced" training to bring back and I actually felt sorry for the agents we were assigned to work with. They were nice people, but really didnt seem to know too much about their system and how it worked other than the keys they used day after day for checkin. I dont know if it was just a PHX thing or if its like that systemwide.
JJ....
the QIK system is user friendly but-as you kinda stated-it does not make the agents think or learn what they are doing. All they now have to do to get through is memorize which keypad to use....on the old system we all used have backpacks with notes to remember all of those long entries---we had to think!! I too dread when we have to start doing true international changes ect....about 9 months ago I contacted a friend in PHX to obtain international training books to gear up...but thats just me...I do not like to be in the dark and look stupid when the pax comes up...I make it my rule not to call the help desk unless I am truly stumped. IMO the majority do not want to learn so they know how to do it the next time--it is easier to pass the isue to another agent whom they know will be able to it....it is frustrating when it is handed off to you and then you try to show them how to do it and they walk away.
Anyhow, I am rambling...my point to this was if you and your station ever have questions on something that most likely was not in training---pm me and I will get you my number at work ect. Because I know that I will have questions in the near future...when the system becomes one.

EWR/CLT flight ( sorry it is so long but I do want to fully explain everything so Bear can read and enjoy as well)

Arrived at the airport early and go to ticket counter to check in. Two people behind the counter working and both involved in long phone calls to somebody about ticket issues concerning the pax standing in front to them. One of the two was covering the first class line but it was apparent that he was not going to be free for some time. I don’t do kiosk but given how long it was taking I tried the first one. No joy as it couldn’t find my record so go back to the FC line I go. After about five minutes I realize, although poorly marked, the first one I tried may have been the HP kiosk so I go over to try the little US jewel. No joy again and get the message to find an agent. Moral of that exercise is that I can see nothing has changed with my little electronic friends in the last 18 months.

Head to gate and was surprised how short the lines were at TSA. EWR has one of the worst reps in the industry among FF, but today was a breeze.

Arrive at gate just to see the last of the pax boarding the 3:05 flight and several standbys. I did not bother to even ask if there was a seat left, as Sunday had taught me to not change anything about a ticket on US as the system does not handle them well. So I sit close to the gate and the stand by’s have cleared and the gate agents asked me if I’m on stand by and I tell him no. He asked if I want to take the last seat on the flight and explains that it is an exit seat.

Now before we get to this part I want to make it clear that this is NOT a rant. As a matter of fact everyone was trying to be very helpful, just like the old days on US

I’m the last on the flight and the FA’s are still trying to find space for luggage. Here I come with a computer bag and roller board. I patiently wait for them to finish and when they are done they look at me and explain there is no more room and I will have to check the bag. I immediately say no problem however on the way back to front the lead does find a place in an “out of the way†place.

I head back to my seat only to find a family of FIVE in 16 DEF on the 7dirty7. Ooops. So I go to the back of the plane. Gate agent comes back on and sure enough, it’s double booked. So I get pulled off the plane. Every one was truly sorry and I believe expecting me to blow up. The relief on their faces, especially the gate agent, was evident when I said “hey every body makes mistakes and all every one was trying to do was get me home earlier.†“Don’t worry about it.†Had I wanted to be a jerk, I could have asked for IDB voucher but this was one of the times the employees where going out of their way to be helpful and I actually felt sorry for them. Am I snake bit or what?

I was upgraded at window on 4:30 flight. Plane 737 is grungy and dirty but not nasty. Plenty of pen art to amuse my self with though. Seats have not been cleaned in some time. No water or preflight drinks offered by the two FA’s up front. Both stood by the cockpit door during boarding but did offer to hang coats just as the door was being closed. Door closed 10 minutes late and then the announcement from the flight deck we were being held for weather in CLT. We push from the gate at 4:50 and go sit on the ramp. Announcement is made that we may be held for 90 minutes at 5:10. Still no offer of any thing to drink which I found odd. At this point on DL the service would have resumed in FC on DL. A bottle of water would have been waiting at our seat on boarding and a pre-departure drink would have been served. Then with the delay, drinks would have been offered along with the snack basket until the pilot told them to zip it up for take off.

We joined the conga line at 5:20 and wheels were up at 5:30 PM

FA’s were pleasant but service was poor; much like the condition of their uniforms. No ties and all three were males. Shirts were much wrinkled and two had half of their shirts un-tucked. Again to compared to DL where they just got great looking new uniforms and all are still proud enough to look like they just stepped out of an ad, I was a little taken back by the lack of looking professional with this crew. Mr. Clean had his shirt unbutton for the first two or three buttons. Don’t care much for hairy chest but I know some on this board who do.

No further service was offer or provided other than the initial round, unlike the flight to EWR where the lead worked the cabin the whole flight. Both sat in the jump seat and appeared to be working on their schedules.

So in conclusion 18 months later I observed the following changes or lack there of…..

The planes are still nasty and even CLT is beginning to look worn and dirty in places. I fly DL 85% of the time and their planes are spotless. They get cleaned at every turn, really gone over once a week and deep cleaned once a month. There is a huge difference here.

The systems are worse than ever and the people using them don’t know how they work. Sadly I also ran into a number of employees that simply did not care. That seldom, and I do mean seldom, happened 18 months ago. From and old PI guy it was sad to see. US had the BEST front line in the air, but I don’t think I could say that today.

Too many new faces in CLT…..I saw ONE face out of many on Sunday that I knew from many years of flying US out of there. This was perhaps the biggest change I noticed. Employees that have been here more than six months still care and still go out of their way to be helpful. They reminded me of the old US I knew and was once loyal too. The new ones seem to care less.

And finally, God help you if you have any kind of issue or need or desire to change anything about your ticket. The systems can not and will not handle it. And the scary thing is that I do not have the CP angels to cover me any more. They are the folks I missed the most this week…….

NEXT WEEK……PHL

Ties are not required any more. Oh, and no uniform allowance either.
I immagion it looks terrible.

At this point on DL the service would have resumed in FC on DL. A bottle of water would have been waiting at our seat on boarding and a pre-departure drink would have been served. Then with the delay, drinks would have been offered along with the snack basket until the pilot told them to zip it up for take off.

Again to compared to DL where they just got great looking new uniforms and all are still proud enough to look like they just stepped out of an ad, I was a little taken back by the lack of looking professional with this crew.

I fly DL 85% of the time and their planes are spotless. They get cleaned at every turn, really gone over once a week and deep cleaned once a month. There is a huge difference here.

You know, I'm sure someone is going to slam you for the comparisons with Delta, but I do have to agree with you in your observations on what Delta is offering. Their new uniforms do look fantastic and I think they've had a visible impact on morale -- and the customers do notice. The planes are clean and the refurbed MD-88's look practically brand-new.

The comparison is important because Delta is probably US Airways' most direct competitor, with perhaps Continental being behind them. Their mainline CASM excluding fuel for the June quarter was reported today as being 7.05 cents; US Airways' (consolidated Group mainline) was 7.71 cents. In order to be competitive long-term with Delta, costs need to be lower and/or the product needs to be better -- and neither of those seem to be true.

longing4pi,

The old US spirit died in 2005. Prior to that, there were enough of us and old AL professionals, to keep the barbarians at the gate.

Most of those folks have been outsourced or retired, and there aren't enough left to carry the system on their back. And the ones left have been beat down, taken pay and bene cuts (with more coming, IMO) - the thing for most of them has transmorgrified from their career to just a job.

The replacements will not receive the proper training and indoctrination we did, and from your report, it all is showing.

I am appalled at the fall-off over the past 18 months - the service, a/c conditions, operations, all of it. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm glad I'm not there anymore - it's not the same place.

As a side note, there's an excellent article in this month's Business North Carolina about PI.

Sigh.

longing4pi,

The old US spirit died in 2005. Prior to that, there were enough of us and old AL professionals, to keep the barbarians at the gate.

Most of those folks have been outsourced or retired, and there aren't enough left to carry the system on their back. And the ones left have been beat down, taken pay and bene cuts (with more coming, IMO) - the thing for most of them has transmorgrified from their career to just a job.

The replacements will not receive the proper training and indoctrination we did, and from your report, it all is showing.

I am appalled at the fall-off over the past 18 months - the service, a/c conditions, operations, all of it. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm glad I'm not there anymore - it's not the same place.

As a side note, there's an excellent article in this month's Business North Carolina about PI.

Sigh.

Dio,

With utmost respect, you are right. It is not the same place. However, the spirit of Usair died when Wolf came on board. 1997? Please correct me if I am wrong. To me, it was around the same time when the IAM took over fleet. It is just a symptom.
Not the main issue here. You are no longer an individual as an employee, but a number. It makes no difference if you have sacrificed your self for the betterment of the operation, the intentions are just a blur. Unnoticed and careless. Words are just words. Meaning and heart however, go beyond the surface. Work ethic, is forign anymore. Just a job, indeed. Makes you want to give em what they expect. Infered, cause you're new supe assumes that you are like everyone else. You just hope that they'll catch on, over time.

It certainly took a body blow under Wolf. When Wolf started poor-mouthing Rj's, I suspected the jig was up, beacuse US had a fleet of RJ's (F28's)they had recently disposed of, and ALPA language to fly them. Wolf could have bought a fleet of RJ's and said "there you are, fly them" to ALPA(I'm guessing ALPA would have been happy to accomodate him under the existing contract language).

The BOD was after bigger game and you see the results of their plan today - current US is exactly what they envisioned.

But folks had hopes of turning things around, myself included. And we still got the job done - I'd bet large the outsourced stations hit their metrics til the day they walked out the door.

The first BK and just call me Dave taught me there would be no turnaround for employees.

And just call me Doug is so deja vu!

l4p, how do you have status with US if you flew them twice in the last 18 months? Just curious.
Flew 35 segments in the first 6 weeks of 2005 and rollover over from 2004. I was offered CP by US as a comp but declined as I had not planned on flying them much this year. I was however upped from Gold to PLT without asking.

If the new US looks at lifetime miles I may wind up lifetime PLT or CP. No one seems to know what is going with that part of the program

Flew 35 segments in the first 6 weeks of 2005 and rollover over from 2004. I was offered CP by US as a comp but declined as I had not planned on flying them much this year. I was however upped from Gold to PLT without asking.

If the new US looks at lifetime miles I may wind up lifetime PLT or CP. No one seems to know what is going with that part of the program

thanks

Latest posts