Your left hand has no idea what your right hand is doing.

May 19, 2003
Visit site
I'm flying US again the week for only the second time in 18 months. All kinds of trouble booking the flight on the web, but we all know that the web sucks so I will not go there. However the trip is not off to a good start.

I needed to get to EWR earlier than scheduled today. So I checked last night on the web and several tools to see if there were plenty of seats available on the first flight up this morning. All tools were showing plenty of seats. I get to CLT at 7:30 AM this morning for the 9:40 flight and I’m told the plane is over sold by 25 (unknown to me, CO had canceled a flight). I had planned paying the $25 and doing the SDC confirmed, but with no seats there was no joy.

So I ask the agent to book me on the 2:10 flight and I will pay to confirm. She tells me that there is one seat left but she can’t confirm me in it. I then explain to her if there is a seat left and I pay the $25, it’s mine. She then proceeds to argue with me and tell me she has never heard that before and then says “besides the flight is oversoldâ€. (You get what you pay for). I insist on speaking with the supervisor. Supervisor explains to her if there is a seat left, I do in fact get it. She then checks me into a middle seat saying it is the last seat available.

I now have 8 hours to kill so I pull a seat map. Low and behold it shows plenty of seats in coach including 5 in the exit row. I walk over the special services desk and ask for a seat change. With out looking at my ticket or the monitor, I’m told the flight is over sold and I can not change my seats. When I explained that the seats were showing on line and available if I tried to book it, I was told that happens all the time on Sundays going to LGA and ERW and I can not go by the web. (Well at least he got that part right). So I come back and sit down and look again. It still lets me book the exit row and all of my programs I look at show seats open as well.

So I call my PLT number. Agent looks it up on her system and says yes 5 seats are open in the exit row, but since I’ve checked in she will have to uncheck me in and then reassign the seats. I told her that I would instead try a different gate agent here first.

Show I go to another one of the GA’s and asked them to check. She does and says the seats are reserved. I explained to here that everything showed they were open and res shows them open. She says they are blocked. (I should have caught the word “blockedâ€) At this point I’m getting pissed.

So another call to res. I get someone who started yesterday but at least she spoke English. I asked her to change my seat. She proceeds to tell me that is not possible. I then have to explain to her how to do it and she still insists that it is not possible. At this point I demand to speak with a supervisor. I’m on hold for about 5 minutes and she comes back on and tells me that she can switch me, but I will lose my place in line for an upgrade. I tell her fine as an exit row is better than a middle seat any day. Hold for another 5 minutes and she comes back to tell me that the change can not be made because the flight is now under airport control. Under airport control 5-6 hours in advance? Maybe so, but sounds like BS* to me. Nobody knows what is going on and no one seems to be willing to take the time to really try and help. This is truly sad and frustrating.

(*Stubborn would be one way to describe me. I waited until after the EWR flight departed and went up to the GA agent and asked him if he had time to explain to me what was going on. In addition to unblocking the exit seat, he took the time to explain why the seats were being blocked. Seems the web is allowing people to book the exit rows that should not be there which is creating issues at the gate. So he explained that all flights are controlled by the gate on DAY of departure. He also explained that as a PLT that some one should have over ridden the system since I was clearly eligible for the seat. We then had a long conversation about the changes taking place and the good ole days. He was PSA and just as we finished talking the PSA heritage plane taxied out.)

I hear stories like this all the time. My son who has just started flying for work has been on US for three weeks straight out of DC. He has had enough and says he will never fly US again if he can keep from it. He has had three flights canceled for mechanical, and a multiple flights late by more than two hours. Seems to me of the folks in the castle need to try and make US fly a little better……..

To be continued……

I now have 8 hours to kill so I pull a seat map.

Just grab yourself one of those white rocking chairs near the piano bar and enjoy all the beautiful "scenery". ;)

Truly, sorry for your experience. It's got to be horribly frustrating and aggravating.

Did you happen to see the Piedmont heritage plane this morning also? It will be back in CLT around 14:47 at B1 (just in case your EWR flight hasn't left yet...)

Hope your day improves... perhaps we'll see you in another year or two when you fly U again, if ever.

D

Did you happen to see the Piedmont heritage plane this morning also? It will be back in CLT around 14:47 at B1 (just in case your EWR flight hasn't left yet...)
Sorry I missed it, but was too busy trying to get the seat changed. I've wanted to see it up close but the only two or three times I've had the chance was out the window of a MD-88 taking off for ATL.

Good to see you back. I miss the days when you and I (and lavman and his many other handles) would go after each other. :lol:

Hope all has been well with you.

Bet you never thought that you would be nostalgic for the days of Lime Boy. He may have been part of faulty decision making, but that crew was certainly not apathetic. This management team appears to be completely driven by "Spreadsheet Mentality", leading to many of the problems you have encountered today.

Good luck G.

Bet you never thought that you would be nostalgic for the days of Lime Boy. He may have been part of faulty decision making, but that crew was certainly not apathetic. This management team appears to be completely driven by "Spreadsheet Mentality", leading to many of the problems you have encountered today.

Good luck G.
Ain't that the truth. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I thought Chris was good at spin but I've got to tell you Elise could take him to school.

Can't honestly say that I miss HIM though.

BTW, I'm now sitting at gate 15 and there is a young lady crying (literally in tears) about her morning so far on US. Looks like it is going to be fun day.....

Good gravy.

Isn't CLT-EWR like, an hour and a half flight? If that?

Is the middle seat THAT horrible on such a short flight?

Sometimes it seems like people go out of their way to look for problems.

Good to see you back.

Hope all has been well with you.

Yes, thank you. Things (away from work) are wonderful. If I didn't have such a long "honey do" list today, I'd swing by the airport and treat you to lunch for your trouble and say hello.

I called a friend of mine to locate the PI plane for you and she tells me even more horror stories when I relayed your dilemma. She's not having a good day. :shock:

It's such a shame its come to this. But hey, at least Doug was able to diversfy his portfolio and cash out.

Good luck...

Ah, I see we can count on a comment from our resident troll. Not that it makes any difference, but I still suffer from two DVT's last year, and while I will survive being in a middle seat, the leg does much better if I can stretch it out. If I can't it, swells to about twice it's normal size in that hour and half.

But that being said, you are correct it is not a very long flight. But that is not the point. I still have some perks on this airline and I intend to use them all. The point of the rant is two fold. US systems suck and nobody in CLT this morning seem to care.

I guess I should sit back and be just like Ma an Pa and take what ever they dish out. Right?

Good gravy.

I'd rather have an enema than be stuck in a middle seat for 90 min. I know l4pi would agree. :lol:

Good gravy.

l4pi is long and, used to be, slender. Not certain as to his current fighting shape. A middle seat would not be comfortable for him. Especially if the window and aisle customers are as rotund as many of the other folks currently inhabiting the good old US of A.