This is what you can expect if you sign a card

This is what you can expect if you sign a card!
AMFA Members Denied Vote
on wages, pension, and insurance benefits
AMFA negotiated “Baseball Arbitrationâ€￾ into the 1999 Alaska Technician and Fleet Service contract, while the rest of organized labor was busy fighting legislation to stop Baseball Arbitration from being imposed on the airline industry. By doing so AMFA took away their members’ right to VOTE on their own contract.
The arbitrator who would make the FINAL and BINDING decision on wages, retirement, insurance benefits, and bidding rights was chosen by flipping a coin.
The arbitrator’s decision was due on March 19, 2003 but AMFA signed a letter of agreement, without a vote of the membership, that allowed a 30-day extension.
AMFA asked for wage increases ranging from 70.5 percent to 111.3 percent over the term of the two-year agreement, depending on pay-step progression. Alaska, however, offered a 4-6 percent increase, depending on the pay-step progression.
The arbitrator ignored AMFA’s proposal, and imposed Alaska Airlines’ offer on AMFA members without a vote of the membership. AMFA got exactly what Alaska Airlines was willing to give them, and nothing more.
AMFA – Silencing the Voice of Airline Workers for 40 Years
TWU SOLIDARITY!

Hey CIO, do non-members have to pay these assessments? If amfa takes over at AA I hope to be the first to file for "agency fee status". I certainly don't want to fund their follie!

----------------
On 5/27/2003 5:18:19 AM Checking it Out wrote:

AMFA got exactly what Alaska Airlines was willing to give them, and nothing more.
----------------

And what did we get?

Our Presidents council was told by the International that they were to meet the companys number (which went up as time went by). They were told that they(the presidents council) could not ask for any changes in the contract that would benifit the members ("You are in no position to ask for anything") such as non money isssues such as eliminating the Part time language in the M&E contract. The sad part is that one of the "professional outside consultants" made the mistake of informing the council that they "really did not have to meet the number, just come close". I'm sure the International had a fit over that one.

I tried to stay out of this but your distortions and misleading statements compell me to comment. Its people like you that discredit the labor movement.

Grievance denied? What was the Grievance for and was there merit? Do you feel that the Union should take any Grievance forward even if it lacks merit? Does your Local do that?

I know of at least one discharge case where the member was told that he did not have a case by the TWU and the member, who was an associate member of AMFA had Seham put a case forward and got his job back.
I know, big deal, one of thousands, but why dont you try and throw substantial arguements forward instead of trivial BS?

The real questions for mechanics are;

Is the concept of all mechanics in one union superior to the concept of having mechanics divied up between several catch all general unions that do not have Aviation, let alone Aircraft Mechanics, as their primary focus?

As a mechanic would you like to be able to vote for your union, not just your Local, President?

Would you rather have a mechanic representing you or someone who never even worked in this industry?

Would you like the ability to recall any and all officers that do not perform?

If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, which Union meets or could meet those desires?

Besides all that, why are you telling people that if they sign a card that they will get AMFA?

A card only calls for a vote.

Why are you afraid of a vote?

Voting brings accountability.

A vote will bring real debate over the merits of each organization.

Is that what you are afraid of ? Is that why you bring forth trivial distortions and try to smear AMFA instead of bringing forth the positives of the TWU?

----------------
On 5/26/2003 6:13:47 PM AAmech wrote:

We've all had time to see AMFA in action at Alaska and NWA. What have they accomplished? Zip, Zilch, NADA!!!

The fact is that over at NWA AMFA raised the bar from $25 per hour to $35. The IAM had only brought back modest increases before they were ousted because they would not bring one group back a much bigger increase than the others. Onbce AMFA raised the bar at NWA all the others followed. This is an observation that requires one to be objective.

What happened to the RESPECT that mechanics were going to get? Remember? Mechanics were going to be like Pilots once they threw off those slacker parisite bag smashers. Management was going to go on a "Slash and Burn" campaign thru the bag smashers pay and benifits once they didn't have the mechanics to prop them up, and move that pay over to the skilled mechanics where it belonged!!!

I think that who ever put forward that promise was being unrealistic but once AMFA had raised the bar for mechanics we did see that mechanics at AA and UA recieved bigger increases than the baggage handlers. So the AMFA movement benifited even those mechanics who were not represented by AMFA.

After all these years amfa looks more and more like the Iam, IBT or TWU. Only more inept! But they dont' care. The purpose of amfa is to line the pockets of Delle-femine, Seham and the McCormicks and in that respect it excells!!

I believe that the AMFA Constitution allows the members to vote to get rid of any or all of those people. Do members get to vote for Jim Little or Sonny Hall? Is Art Luby elected?
Just like any Union, AMFA is what the members make of it. The questions are how easy is it for members to effect change? What is the primary focus of the organization and how does that focus benifit you? Are the members interests focused or divergent? Are those in the decision making level accountable to the members or are they able to use their position to further their own interests?

I have no doubt that if we got AMFA that there would be dissidents. I have no doubt that there would be complaints. I have no doubts that there would be mistakes made. I have no doubts that membership meetings would continue to be sparsely attended. This is true of any organization.

The problem for mechanics in the TWU is that the structure prevents mechanics from furthering their intersts as mechanics. At present we are divided up so many different ways.

The TWU even ignores the mechanics representatives. When Jim Little decided to make a line rep he did not consult with the mechanics representatives. They told him who they wanted but Jim picked who he wanted. How can someone who is appointed against the wishes of the elected representatives of a group of mechanics be called their representative? If he knew that he was not their choice how well can he represent them?

An election could only bring good things for mechanics. The Union would be forced to become responsive to the members. Every three years all the local representatives face an election from the members. This is a good thing. It keeps them accountable. Its what is known as Democracy. The TWU has many problems that those in control see no need to address, why, because they are not accountable nor are they negatively affected by them. An election changes that. Choice brings Freedom.

If you are presented with a choice of representation those who wish to represent you are forced to give you a reason why you should choose them. As far as I'm concerned we should have representational votes for Unions every ten years but under the same conditions as regular elections in that only cast votes are counted. Uncast votes could not be used to decertify.

Why ten years? Because you want a little bit of stability and ten years allows for the chance that if performance was not up to snuff that there was the ability for change within.
----------------​

----------------
On 5/27/2003 8:15:39 AM Bob Owens wrote:

----------------
On 5/26/2003 6:13:47 PM AAmech wrote:

We''ve all had time to see AMFA in action at Alaska and NWA. What have they accomplished? Zip, Zilch, NADA!!!

The fact is that over at NWA AMFA raised the bar from $25 per hour to $35. The IAM had only brought back modest increases before they were ousted because they would not bring one group back a much bigger increase than the others. Onbce AMFA raised the bar at NWA all the others followed. This is an observation that requires one to be objective.

----------------
Another bogus claim! Lets break this down. The CEO of United gave their pilots a 30+% pay increase. UA mechanics demand the same and are about to sign their TA for a 30%+ increase while NW mechanics negotiations drag on and on. In a brilliant move Delle-Femine has Amfa file for a representive election which STOPS ALL NEGOTIATIONS AT UA! They have enough cards to call an election, but he knows its not enough to win. But no matter it serves it purpose. They quietly drop thier demand for $60.00 to $100.00per hour (Remember that?) and settle for the $32.00. Now they want to claim how THEY raised the bar. I dont'' think so. I''ll give my thanks where it belongs, with the former CEO of UAL!

----------------
On 5/27/2003 5:18:56 AM AAmech wrote:

Hey CIO, do non-members have to pay these assessments? If amfa takes over at AA I hope to be the first to file for "agency fee status". I certainly don't want to fund their follie!

----------------​
AAMECH, Do you know amfa is passing out old Constitution to deceive members into signing cards?

Do you also know amfa has at least one airline in which members are not required to pay dues! While some of the others are being charged special dues! amfa members took the TWU to court about being treated unfairly! I think their would be a good case of Discrimination and amfa would have a hard time collecting dues if some members decide not to pay!

TWU SOLIDARITY!

Damn right we are trying to get AMFA!

You attack AMFA on Election Procedures.

Tell us:

How many meetings must one attend to run for Office in the TWU, name each office and required meetings?

Show us the election results for Sonny Hall, James Little, Gary Yingst? How many members voted in the election for them?

Your members are no longer fooled!

WITHOUT FURTHER RATIFICATION - What more needs to be said?

How about TWU = INDUSTRY LEADING CONCESSIONS

This is what you can expect if you sign a card

Do you know you do not even need to be employed at one of the Airlines amfa represents to be eligible to hold office or vote in an election?
Do you also know you do not even have to attend meetings to qualify?
Do you know an associate member pays 30 dollars a year to be in good standing?
Read very close! you do not have to be elected, You can be apointed in certain cases!
SECTION 2
To qualify for these positions, a member must be a member in good standing, an active member or associate member for a period of not less than two years, except for the first election, and shall be free of all assessments and fines to the National and Local.

Article 4

SECTION 11
Only members in good standing shall be allowed to vote in any election. A notification of the time of the election shall be mailed to the last known home address of all members, not less than fifteen days prior to the election, and shall be in conformance with the LMRDA.

SECTION 17
When the Secretary and/or Treasurer''s duties require that an assistant to that position would be in the best interest of the Association, the affected officer(s) and the National Executive Council will do the following:
1. The Secretary and/or Treasurer will submit name(s) of the candidates for the position to the 5 National Executive Council.
2. The National Executive Council will approve by majority vote from the name(s) submitted the best candidate for the position.
The National Executive Council by majority vote, or the Secretary/Treasurer, may remove the assistant from his position after notification of intent to do so to the affected parties. The appointee will perform all Secretary/Treasurer duties of that position except that of voting with the National Executive Council, and in the case of an appointed Assistant Treasurer, he shall not be authorized to perform the duties specified in Article VI, Section 2.

Article xi section 1
(B) To be nominated, a member shall be in good standing, an active or associate member,
attended fifty percent (50%) of regular Local meetings held during the last year, six meetings total, or present to the Local Secretary a nominating petition containing signatures (valid as certified by the Local Secretary) of 10% of the members in good standing in the Local (this petition must be submitted when nominations are accepted at the Local meeting), and have been free of all fines and assessments to the National and Local for the preceding twelve months prior to nomination (except for the first election after receiving charter). Members who are unable to attend a meeting because of verified illness, death in the family, vacation, official Association business, or because they reside and work beyond 15 a fifty mile radius of where the meeting is held will be given credit for having attended that meeting for purposes of meeting the minimum attendance requirements.

[url="http://www.amfanatl.org/Pages/10_Publications&Forms/AMFAConst01idx.pdf"]http://www.amfanatl.org/Pages/10_Publicati...AConst01idx.pdf[/URL]

TWU SOLIDARITY!

----------------
On 5/27/2003 5:00:59 PM AAmech wrote:

Another bogus claim! Lets break this down. The CEO of United gave their pilots a 30+% pay increase.

I think you know what I meant by other workers, other workers within the same union.

UA mechanics demand the same and are about to sign their TA for a 30%+ increase while NW mechanics negotiations drag on and on. In a brilliant move Delle-Femine has Amfa file for a representive election which STOPS ALL NEGOTIATIONS AT UA! They have enough cards to call an election, but he knows its not enough to win. But no matter it serves it purpose.

Fiction. They filed but the NMB decided that other groups that cards were not collected from should have been asked. The election was denied.

They quietly drop thier demand for $60.00 to $100.00per hour (Remember that?) and settle for the $32.00. Now they want to claim how THEY raised the bar. I dont'' think so. I''ll give my thanks where it belongs, with the former CEO of UAL!

I dont remember $100. At least you admit that it wasnt the IAM or TWU that raised the bar. The fact is that the IAM brought back an inferior deal at NWA, they were thrown out and in less time than the IAM took to bring back the rejected deal AMFA brought back a better deal.

----------------​

----------------
On 5/27/2003 8:34:04 PM Checking it Out wrote:

IF YOU SIGN A CARD YOU ARE REQUESTING AMFA TO REPRESENT YOU! DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE HALFTRUTHS!

----------------​
Hey, I mean CIO. Why dont you bring all your facts and come on down to the meeting Friday. We have something just for you!

6117 Total Signed Election Authorization Cards
9.gif
9.gif

James C. Little is the Supreme AMFA Organizer!

----------------
On 5/27/2003 8:26:03 PM Checking it Out wrote:

Do you also know amfa has at least one airline in which members are not required to pay dues! While some of the others are being charged special dues! amfa members took the TWU to court about being treated unfairly! I think their would be a good case of Discrimination and amfa would have a hard time collecting dues if some members decide not to pay!

----------------​
Then why dont you show your true unionism and provide an attorney and prove your point?

Can't you just pass out authorization cards and file for an election? Surely those members are looking forward to Industry Leading Concessions without further ratification?

Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk!

I dunno RV4..."This has nothing to do with AMFA it has to do with the fact that the TWU just took organized labor backwards 30+ years! " doesn''t sound like a ringing endorsement for AMFA. In fact, I find it vaguely reminiscent of the guys at Eastern saying "Anybody but Borman" as they welcomed Frank Lorenzo.