This loyal U customer is concerned

MDMUS1

Aug 28, 2002
I have written far more atta-boy letters than complaints to U and I really would like to see U, and the industry pull out of this slump. I recognize that the recent fare and FF credit policy change announcements may be to test the waters as opposed to permanent, but they concern me as I don''t see the rationale from a FF perspective. Perhaps some of you can help me understand.
As a US1 for the past 5yrs and PG+ before that I have been a loyal customer. While U is my preferred carrier I also fly on numerous other carriers and have been a Silver Elite on CO and a Premier Executive on UA some years. I don''t live in a U hub. I choose U primarily because #1 - Your FF program is one of the best(CO is also very good), #2 In my experience the great majority of U staff are professional, courteous and friendly and #3 Living in VA gives me several ARPT options to use U from.
I don''t understand the no stand-by rule for NRF''s. If a customer is denied the opportunity to take an open seat that goes unused how does that benefit revenue and/or the customer relationship? Perhaps charging a reasonable fee for this option with a NRF would be a sensible middle ground. Sometimes when I have gotten on as a stand-by I have freed up a seat on a later flight that was over booked. Wasn''t that a double bonus? A good deal for me and for U?
The concept of not accruing status miles for discount fares really troubles me as I think that it will impact U in two negative ways #1 - Customers will no longer have the strong FF incentive to choose U above other carriers with similar fares and #2 - Some FF''s will simply decide not to travel as much. Allow me to explain.
The first is easy - If I can''t accrue loyalty benefits the incentive to be loyal is greatly diminished. This applies to almost any business, not just airlines. With the down-turn in the tech sector and stock market plus the fall-out from 9-11 there is a lot of pressure to keep travel costs down. Many of U''s FF''s have worked hard to be loyal. For example I have only been able to use U because I''m willing to drive to GSO or RDU to get a competitive fare when necessary and I tracked it for our Controller proving that I was not costing the company extra $ - otherwise our normal travel policy prohibits carriers of choice and selects the cheapest fare. This is typical and thus many FF''s are compelled to seek out discount fares. If you fly 100k+/yr, or even 50k the benefits of an elite level make the hassles much more managable and tolerable. Most business FF''s will tell you that without the elite benefits, the down-side of heavy travel outweighs the upside. So my fear is that if U is alone on this poolicy it will loose its most loyal customers, and if the whole industry goes this route, that the whole industry will see yet another downturn in the number of FF''s. People will just decide that they are not going to travel as much. Sure there will always be a small percentage who can regularly book non discount fares, but their numbers are small. Maybe my perception is all wrong and the number crunchers have looked at a statistically accurate sample of FF''s/fares booked, etc. If not, someone has not done their homework and that is always very dangerous.
I may write to Crystal City, but I think that I''ll wait a week or two to see how the initial dust settles. There must be a reasonable compromise available that would help boost revenue while also retaining the incentives for FF''s to remain loyal to U. It is unfortunate that the new policies seem to have been rolled out without an ability to see the whole picture. All the customers see at this point is the downside to them. Not a very desirable situation. I''m hopeful that a reasonable option can be found, but as I said in the beginning - this loyal U customer is concerned.

Based on lack of interest in your post,looks like you're the odd man out sir,just like in school, the smart selfless geek is ignored or chastised..You're the geek but you are the rational geek and so my above comment from yesterday stands.[:)]

Can someone please point me to the "How to earn Reality Check's respect" page?

[:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:] [:bigsmile:]

[:bigsmile:] The reason why this post is unpopular is simple: Every valid point that he made cannot be argued. He is right on every issue. I sympathize with him and the rest of our loyal customers.

MDMUS1, congratulations. You have been spotted by RealityCheck. Actually (this is for you too, GEO), I kind of enjoy the guy. He brings some entertainment to an otherwise decidedly unpleasant experience. Mind you, there is some bi-polarity (that's not sexual, Mr. Check). You will note that after he discovered he was the only one to approve of your comments, he did turn on you. Anyway, he provides a good example of what the company has been able to manufacture, in the form of spewed invective directed to the customers. We are, of course, the problem. Anyway, good try. We're just whiners, malcontents, gamers,crooks, cheapskates, etc. Your cogent assessment of things simply amplifies your greed, which manifests itself in trying to take all those big seats up front, which could easily be used by overbooks, friends of the DSM, non-revs, people who buy Buddy Passes from somebody's husband or wife...you get the picture. You sir (MDMUS1) are the enemy. The only thing scarier than that is the idea that Mr. Check might actually fly one of those planes they have. Now that's another reason to think about why you spend all that time driving to GSO and RDU.[:p]

----------------
On 8/29/2002 4:18:23 PM

[:bigsmile:] The reason why this post is unpopular is simple: Every valid point that he made cannot be argued. He is right on every issue. I sympathize with him and the rest of our loyal customers.
----------------
Very true, but instead ..the *sandbox turn on a dime still living in the 80/s* crew invaded. As for the gain respect inquiry, where the airline business is concerned, post facts not skewed versions or non-facts, analysis from all angles not just self interest(compare apples to apples not to oranges), and you present discussion and argument based on the reality of the situation and the economy and what the market is likely to support, and if sacrifices are needed, you agree to accept it, if not permanently than on a wait and see get, back to you later, basis. I got most of this from the original topic poster and vile self serving rhetoric from most others.

This post is exactly true, and what most of the other posters including myself have been saying all along. The elite perks make us fly US and they to some extent keep us in the air at all. 100 segments with no preferred check in, no preferred upgrades and no preferred seating just wouldnt happen for me and a lot of others. I would just not travel as much. If another airline gave me those benefits I would go there. One way I wont get them is paying the full fare on anyone.

The term "geek" was used metaphorically, is that what you considered "turning on him"?Puhleeze!

The "spew", as you put it did not begin on my side of the street. You engage in rational discussion as did MR mdus1 and you get my respect, and not another soul on board shd disagree.

And no, I am not a pilot. Pilots have no knowledge training or experience in the sales,fares,rules, and general marketing aspect of this company.

----------------
On 8/29/2002 10:29:33 PM

Checkster, I stand in awe. This can only mean you are Management. Now that speaks volumes. Anyway, you're kind of fun. By the way, now that my useless, cheating, whining ass has been removed from the ranks of the elite, can you maybe help me find somebody that would sell me a Buddy Pass? It's the least you can do for a guy on the skids.
----------------
Nope.. you flatter me..not mgmt either, I am in the trenches.,mgmt not secure enough for the past decade...but now I dont care and don't need the security or lack thereof that U provides .. [:0]

Not sure if I shld take offense to CHECKSTER ,as CHIP yesterday took MAJOR offense to me calling him MUNNSTER..he said even his 2 kids dont call him names..well gosh dern neither do mine.[:halo:]

Checkster, I stand in awe. This can only mean you are Management. Now that speaks volumes. Anyway, you're kind of fun. By the way, now that my useless, cheating, whining ass has been removed from the ranks of the elite, can you maybe help me find somebody that would sell me a Buddy Pass? It's the least you can do for a guy on the skids.