TO ALL EAST PILOTS II

end_of_alpa

Veteran
Contributor
May 8, 2007
View attachment 5979MEC Letter to the Pilots
May 10, 2007

Fellow Pilots,

To be sure, our pilot group was decimated last week by an arbitration award that was ill conceived and
drafted contrary to some of the most important tenants of ALPA’s merger policy. Your MEC is a
microcosm of the pilot group, we are not insulated from the havoc this document has created in our
lives. The first several days following the release of the award were intense for MEC members. The
days were taken up by fielding questions and listening to the frustration and despair of our group; it was
gut-wrenching. Nights were taken up with calls amongst ourselves discussing the avenues available to
us.

Soon after the award was announced, as the leaders of this pilot group, we set aside our emotions and
took on our responsibility to set the direction and course for us to follow. Our number one concern is
the health and well-being of each and every one of our pilots. We published information on the
Employee Assistance Program and advised our pilots to contact our Aero-Medical Committee for
information on FAA reporting requirements. We then activated our Critical Incident Response Program
(CIRP) which will put volunteer members in the crew rooms. Their main goal is to help pilots through
this incredibly stressful time.

We then went to work at the MEC special meeting as the representative body of our pilot group with a
common goal of exploring every conceivable option pertaining to the award. We fully recognize that
first and foremost we represent the US Airways pilots, and to that end in this democratic process, we
will do everything in our power, leaving no stone unturned, in order to right the wrongs of this
arbitration award.

On Sunday, the first day of the meeting, every single MEC member, MEC Officer and MEC committee
chairman present laid out their position concerning the award to ALPA President, Captain John Prater.
Nothing was held back, it was all put on the table so as not to have any misconceptions on where this
pilot group stands. He was also reminded of his campaign slogan “Taking the Union Back.â€￾ Captain
Prater acknowledged the US Airways pilot leaders resolve and told us he would be seeking counsel on
the matter.

In general, our special MEC meeting provided the opportunity to explore the many options resulting
from our ideas and those of our membership who have emailed or called us with their ideas. Working
together we set a course of action and unanimously passed five resolutions that were all related to the
award. They included paving the way for the Merger Committee to be heard at the ALPA Executive
Council, activating the Critical Incident Response Program, temporarily standing down the Strike
Preparedness Committee, eliminating any further merger assessments, and instituting a council by-pass
that will temporarily keep council members who have been awarded another base on the MEC, for
continuity, during this critical time.

The ALPA Executive Council, which takes place on May 21st will be hearing a presentation from our
Merger Committee so that the Executive Council can see for themselves the inequities of this award and
the windfalls provided to the America West pilots at the expense of the US Airways pilots. There is
simply no explanation as to how the final product was derived from ALPA merger policy, which clearly
states that windfalls to one group at the expense of the other are to be avoided, not minimized, avoided!
The Executive Council must be made to realize if ALPA’s proud heritage is to be maintained, inequities
of this magnitude cannot be tolerated.

In summation, above all else, our pilots and their seniority come first! We have set the course of action
that circumstances dictate. We will proceed with conviction but will not move in such haste as to close
doors we may need open later. Communications will keep you informed with as much information that
we can release publicly and you may also look for the Pilot-to-Pilot volunteers with the red lanyard.
Your MEC has no misconceptions where this pilot group stands. Your willingness to respond to your
pilot leadership’s calls to action will be a critical part of our campaign as we move forward in our efforts
to correct this gross injustice.

As always watch out for each other, fly safe and thank you for your support.

Jack Stephan
US Airways MEC Chairman
Kim Snider
US Airways MEC Vice Chairman
Mike D'Angelo
US Airways MEC Secretary-Treasurer
Mike Swiatkowski
Council 32 Captain Representative
Garland Jones
Council 32 F/O Representative
Eric Rowe
Council 41 Captain Representative
Dave Ciabattoni
Council 41 F/O Representative
Marshall Rogers
Council 90 Captain Representative
Lance Svendsen
Council 90 F/O Representative
John Brookman
Council 94 Captain Representative
Rocco Spartano
Council 94 F/O Representative
Don Iorio
Council 135 Captain Representative
Sergio Fernandez
Council 135 F/O Representative
Bob Sauer
Council 138 Captain Representative
Don Baier
Council 138 F/O Representative

The following is from Wikepedia:

ARBITRATION: Advantages and Disadvantages

Parties often seek to resolve their disputes through arbitration because of a number of perceived potential advantages over judicial proceedings:

1. When the subject matter of the dispute is highly technical, arbitrators with an appropriate degree of expertise can be appointed
2. Arbitration is often faster than litigation in court
3. Arbitration can be cheaper
4. Arbitral proceedings and an arbitral award are generally private
5. The arbitral process enjoys a greater degree of flexibility than the courts
6. Because of the provisions of the New York Convention 1958, arbitration awards are generally easier to enforce abroad than court judgments
7. In most legal systems, there are limited avenues for appeal of an arbitral award, which can mean swifter enforcement and less scope for a party to delay matters.

However, some of the disadvantages of arbitration can be that:

1. The parties need to pay for the arbitrators, which adds an additional layer of legal cost
2. Although usually thought to be speedier, when there are multiple arbitrators on the panel, juggling their schedules for hearing dates in long cases can lead to delays
3. In some legal systems, arbitral awards have fewer enforcement remedies than judgments
4. Arbitrators are generally unable to order interlocutory measures against a party, making it easier for a party to take steps to avoid enforcement of an award (such as the relocation of assets offshore)
5. Rule of applicable law is not binding, and arbitrators not subject to overturn on appeal may be more likely to rule according to their personal ideals.

---------------------------

The last sentence appears to be the most relevant.

So the MEC got their hankies out----sensitive dudes they are and basically cant say what they are going to do--if anything---are they just waiting for the hammer to whack em in their ALPO head ?

I asked this before and I'll ask now because I don't think I saw a direct answer...

Did the East pilot group not know that it was a distinct possibility, no matter how seemingly remote, that this outcome would result in arbitration? Didn't the MEC sit down and think about all the 'what if' scenarios before agreeing to arbitration? If not, then they failed. If they did consider this and forged ahead with arbitration, then they gambled and lost.

From the outside, it sure doesn't look fair. But arbitration is like putting blind faith and hoping for an outcome in your favor. But worst things have happened to labor groups in the history of airline mergers. Look where some of those very prestigious airlines are today.....

I asked this before and I'll ask now because I don't think I saw a direct answer...

Did the East pilot group not know that it was a distinct possibility, no matter how seemingly remote, that this outcome would result in arbitration? Didn't the MEC sit down and think about all the 'what if' scenarios before agreeing to arbitration? If not, then they failed. If they did consider this and forged ahead with arbitration, then they gambled and lost.

From the outside, it sure doesn't look fair. But arbitration is like putting blind faith and hoping for an outcome in your favor. But worst things have happened to labor groups in the history of airline mergers. Look where some of those very prestigious airlines are today.....
The direct answer is "yes", the east knew this was a distinct possibility.

So, I'm sure the next question is, "How do you know?"

What I can tell you is that your east MC did bring up the point that DOH might not be the best method to seek for integration. Your MEC would hear nothing of it to the point where they brought in Kirch and threaten to pull him from the MC if they tried for anything less than DOH. And just to make sure, a resolution was passed stating that nothing less than DOH would be accepted.

So, against your MC's recommendations, your MEC removed any and all negotiating from the process.

We wasted quite a bit of FPL sending our members to negotiate so they could hear them talk about the virtues of DOH and how deserving the east pilots were of it.

I can tell you for a fact that it was out MC that did not want to go to arbitration, it was your MEC. Our MC wanted to complete this process without the help of a mediator. The east would hear nothing of it.

And here you are now. Seething with anger at the product of your own doing.

What could have been done differently?

Your elected representatives should have shown some leadership. With the constituency calling for DOH, it should have been made known that that road was a VERY risky one. They did not do that and instead, expectations were built.

If you look at the east's history, there is a record of perpetually stepping on the collective crank. You did it with Empire and you did it with us. You had opportunities in PIT, during negotiations, mediations, and in arbitration and you blew them all.

Just an FYI. If the east did work with us, you more than likely would have probably seen something a bit more palatable (more fences, etc.) on your side.

And as an aside, this concern about the furloughees - ask yourself where that was when UAL came calling. The only reason they mattered now was because of the "bulk" they added to the list.

You guys were cocky, condescending, and overly engrossed in an "entitlement" feeling. It blinded all of you and your leadership.

And here we are.

The direct answer is "yes", the east knew this was a distinct possibility.

So, I'm sure the next question is, "How do you know?"

What I can tell you is that your east MC did bring up the point that DOH might not be the best method to seek for integration. Your MEC would hear nothing of it to the point where they brought in Kirch and threaten to pull him from the MC if they tried for anything less than DOH.

And just to make sure, a resolution was passed stating that nothing less than DOH would be accepted.

So, against your MC's recommendations, your MEC removed any and all negotiating from the process.

We wasted quite a bit of FPL to send our members to negotiations only to hear them talk about the virtues of DOH and how deserving the east pilots were of it.

I can tell you for a fact that it was out MC that did not want to go to arbitration, it was your MEC. Our MC wanted to complete this process without the help of a mediator. The east would hear nothing of it.

What could have been done differently?

Your elected representatives should have shown some leadership. With the constituency calling for DOH, it should have been made known that that road was a VERY risky one.

They did not do that and instead, expectations were built.

If you look at the east's history, there is a record of perpetually stepping on on the collective crank. You did it with Empire and you did it with us. You had opportunities in PIT, during negotiations, mediations, and in arbitration and you blew them all.

Just an FYI. If the east did work with us, you more than likely would have probably seen something a bit more palatable (more fences, etc.)on your side.

And as an aside, this concern about the furloughees - ask yourself where that was back in when UAL came calling. The only reason they mattered was because of the "bulk" they added to the list.

You guys were cocky, condescending, and overly engrossed in an "entitlement" feeling. It blinded your leadership.

And here we are.
Excellent Post June

But arbitration is like putting blind faith and hoping for an outcome in your favor.

This was not Vegas, and there was no blind faith....only the belief that the arbitrator would try and make both groups equally unhappy.

Had this been a Baseball arbitration, members of one team would have been told they had to sit on the bench for the rest of their careers....NOT a result any team could or would have ever expected from a just man.

Like that example, this decision was outside the bounds of logic, and somehow thrown like a hot, burning bag of s..t on ALPA's doorstep, as the last how-do-you-do from a man who obviously never met an airline pilot he liked.

Will the abritration results be overturned?...I doubt it. Will the two airlines ever fly as one, using the list?

Never happen.

Greeter.

Bottom line is whom ever presented the East Pilot's case are incompetent and should be removed from any leadership roles.

You voted them in, kept them in office through three rounds of concessions, bent over for the company every time, so you deserve what you get and you should be used to be getting screwed.

If you look at the east's history, there is a record of perpetually stepping on the collective crank. You did it with Empire and you did it with us. You had opportunities in PIT, during negotiations, mediations, and in arbitration and you blew them all.

You guys were cocky, condescending, and overly engrossed in an "entitlement" feeling. It blinded all of you and your leadership.

And here we are.

The truth hurts.

And what you have written is most assuredly the truth.

You are not informed. The case presented was the only, and I mean only case they would have been allowed to present for this pilot group.

Funny, now that it is over, people are coming out of the woodwork saying, basically, the pilots of U east should have done this FOR the the arbitrator, and saved him the effort.

And 700, you do not understand the difference in the Negotiating Committee and the Merger Committee.

Greeter.

Greeter said: "Will the abritration results be overturned?...I doubt it. Will the two airlines ever fly as one, using the list? Never happen."

USA320Pilot comments: Greeter's comments are dead-on accurate. This seniority list award will never be implemented on this property. I have an intimate understanding of the MEC's intention(s)/plan of attack, the East pilot group has enormous solidarity, and as the fluid envets unfold then MEC will take their next step(s).

Moreover, the MEC and key pilots will not discuss their strategy, but I will tell you this. The AWA pilots have one choice: Negotiate an acceptable senioriyt list agreement with large fences or face "imposition". That's it!

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I understand through three rounds of concessions, your negotiating committee, your MEC and your fellow pilots gave away everything the company wanted to preserve your flying. Not once did you pilots stand up to the company nor your own union who gave away your pension without even letting you vote, and yet you kept them including Pollack in office.

You MEC and your merger committee blew it with the arbitration case, your shorts were handed to you once again.

Your choice of leadership or shall I say lack of it, your choice of bending over to the company every time has come back and hit you ten fold and now you whine about it?

Your angry and yet you want to damage the company when your own ALPA so-called representatives are the ones who screwed you once again.

I guess ALPA must follow the Neville Chamberlain school of leadership.

You are the one who does not understand, your union and your fellow pilots screwed each other every single time and yet through it all you have not learned a darn thing.

And to 320, no wonder why you gave back and never can get elected, the arbitration is legal and binding, no matter what you do all you can do is stall, the West Pilots prevailed, handed you your shorts once again, you should be used to it by now.

You can change unions, you can throw a temper tantrum till your blue in the face, both East and West Agreed to Binding Arbitration which is precedent setting and it will be enacted and there is nothing you can do about it. Your group will back down like it has done every single time since 2002, you know nothing differant.

When UAL was trying to acquire USAir in 2000, the East pilots did the same thing. Only difference was that we were in discussions BEFORE any transaction took place, therefore it would have been considered a pre-nup. But otherwise, the concept was the same. We tried to negotiate relative seniority and protect career expectations, specifically our enormous 777 and 747 flying.

We wanted to avoid arbitration, but were basically told to pound sand. It was made clear very early on that they would stop at nothing short of DOH with some fences, and that they would see us in arbitration.

For some reason they were very confident that an arbitrator would see it their way. Apparently we can safely say that the "proof is in the puddin'" and they were dead wrong. This attitude of entitlement you guys are seeing is something that has been cultivated for many, many years.

Interestingly, it was many of the same talking heads back then, that are out regurgitating the same garbage they did years ago. They are like a broken record.

USA320Pilot comments: Greeter's comments are dead-on accurate. This seniority list award will never be implemented on this property. I have an intimate understanding of the MEC's intention(s)/plan of attack, the East pilot group has enormous solidarity, and as the fluid envets unfold then MEC will take their next step(s).

USA320Pilot

This person always claims to have intimate secret knowledge of things, but in the end his predictions are most often wrong and never come to reality.

USA320, you may know what the MEC's intentions are, but you seem to be misguided on the actual probability of their plan of attack bearing any fruit.

Their original plan of attack was to force arbitration and then convince the arbitrator to award DOH, even against the guidance of the merger committee. You can see how well that turned out. :rolleyes: When will your MEC learn that their plan of attack has been and continues to be faulty?

And by the way, before you start gushing about all the solidarity, understand that you are not the only voice of the East. There are more and more of your coworkers starting to voice dissention and embarrassment at your lack if integrity and that of your MEC. You are doing far more damage to your group in the long run than you think.

Greeter said: "Will the abritration results be overturned?...I doubt it. Will the two airlines ever fly as one, using the list? Never happen."

Moreover, the MEC and key pilots will not discuss their strategy, but I will tell you this. The AWA pilots have one choice: Negotiate an acceptable senioriyt list agreement with large fences or face "imposition". That's it!

Regards,

USA320Pilot

All:

Please note this post and compare it with the actual outcome a few months or less from now.

Those of you that have read the rantings and prophesysing of USA320Pilot will find that he has NEVER been right yet. On any matter.

At the end of the day ALPA National will stand behind the decision of Arbitrator Nicolau and ALPA Merger Policy.

Whether Parker and Kirby choose to combine operations remains to be seen.

The USAirways Pilots have no "nuclear option" and once again, USA320Pilot is tilting at windmills.

Latest posts